• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37s and 47s to Cardiff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See my fotopic album here. Some of the best are shown below:-

47_1515RHY-CDF.jpg

We caught the 1515 from Rhymney to Cardiff which was powered by 47847 which had worked the 0802 Manchester to Cardiff earlier. The lack of crowds in this photo is very deceptive!

37_CreweECS.jpg

37427 at Crewe after running round the train ready to go ECS to the depot.

57_CreweDrag.jpg

Class 57 hauling a train to Liverpool (via Warrington), I think!

47_1744CDF-MAN_Crewe.jpg

47843 pauses at Crewe approx 18 late, but is further delayed by priority being given to a Voyager and, before that a Pendolino which suffered brake problems causing delays to all following services into Manchester. (I did not get back to York until 00:09 as a result).

47_1744CDF-MAN_terminates.jpg

47839 was dead on the rear of the 1744 Cardiff to Manchester, seen here after terminating at Piccadilly. This train was an impressive length: 47 + 9xMk2s + 47!#

(click here for more)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Nice Pictures :) I'm suprised that the Mk2s still have Virgin Logos on them. They do go via Warrington.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some nice photos there Yorkie. Nice to see some proper traction :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
the pictures are nothing compared to the experience behind the 47's! Me, joy54 and FGWfan who came down for a bit rode to cardiff behind 47839 with a rake of 9 mk2's and a 47 at the rear - it was simply brilliant! and the 47's were brill on the rhymney line also!

I've lots of pictures to post up when I find my memory card reader...! :?

Simming

Are you sure the second the the bottom picture above wasn't taken pre august 2002? :lol:

Nice fots

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed, some do look quite old, but you can see the door from a Pendolino in the background :P

andrewmay

Some very nice photos there. I wish I could have seen those specials but of course I had to be stuck at home on that day didn't I! :x

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
hehe I like the way you put the book "incident"! hehe, publish it yorkie! :lol: anyone want to come on a trip to where was it now.... it was either Heath high level or Ystryd Mynach (can't think which one now doh!)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Heath High Level. Ah well, I got all the numbers, didn't I? :lol:

yorkie said:
47843 pauses at Crewe approx 18 late, but is further delayed by priority being given to a Voyager

Well makes a change, usally the voyager is held for a much slower train. Least there are some decent signalmen out there!

btw I like your photos

Guinness

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
yorkie said:
47843 pauses at Crewe approx 18 late, but is further delayed by priority being given to a Voyager

Well makes a change, usally the voyager is held for a much slower train. Least there are some decent signalmen out there!

btw I like your photos

Same what happened at Derby the other day when I was with Marv. Voyager arrived at P1 8 minutes early. Ready to go etc. when a late running MML HST came in P2 and came out. Voyager could of long gone been out the way but instead ran 4 minutes late.

MML Own Derby Station - The TM Told us it happens all over the country, mainly on the ECML.

Good Pics anyway..

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Generally, priority should be given to trains that have the most people on, or trains that are in danger of people missing onward connections, as it should be to the benefit of the majority of passengers.

Sometimes however a slower train may have to be put in front if it means an overall reduction in delays, for example if it's occupying a platform that other trains need to use, they may need to get it away quickly.

It's difficult to judge a decision without being aware of the exact circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.