• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37s trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Far north 37

Established Member
yeah that sounds ok be good for some hst action and maybe get the rest of the turbo fleet while there this way

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't know if it's still available, but a Southern DaySave may be worth researching. Covers all of Southern's network for the day after 10am, it was £17.50 when I last bought one a couple of years ago.

Alternative ideas include:

Kent Rover, valid for 3 consecutive days for £36.30 as of 2015. Nearest stations to London are Gravesend and Tonbridge.

West Midlands Day Ranger, nearest stations of validity to London being Northampton and Leamington Spa. Covers all the way to Shrewsbury, Crewe, Stoke on Trent, Tamworth, Hereford and more. That one would get you more variety at least.

Anglia Plus 1 Day, nearest valid stations to London are Cambridge and Ipswich. About £18 I think, but covers quite some terrain and trains you won't always be seeing or on.

Depends how far you want to go from London, any time restrictions etc

cactustwirly

Established Member
Thames Branches Day Rover covers you from Paddington to Reading West/Tilehurst, nice bit of countryside on the Marlow & Henley-on-Thames branches

I agree, the Marlow branch is the best and I think it still as a section of jointed track between Furze Platt and Cookham (Its all been replaced on the Henley). The reversal at Bourne End is also quite interesting.

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
Don't know if it's still available, but a Southern DaySave may be worth researching. Covers all of Southern's network for the day after 10am, it was £17.50 when I last bought one a couple of years ago.

Kent Rover, valid for 3 consecutive days for £36.30 as of 2015. Nearest stations to London are Gravesend and Tonbridge.

West Midlands Day Ranger, nearest stations of validity to London being Northampton and Leamington Spa. Covers all the way to Shrewsbury, Crewe, Stoke on Trent, Tamworth, Hereford and more. That one would get you more variety at least.

Anglia Plus 1 Day, nearest valid stations to London are Cambridge and Ipswich. About £18 I think, but covers quite some terrain and trains you won't always be seeing or on.

london midland was one i was looking at as im hoping to get the 350s down instead of just doing them harrow and weald to euston. do the london midland midland great escapes just come about now and again.

im struggling to get my teeth in the southern side of the thames end up going for stuff north of the thames 165/166s 313s 315s 321s and thameslink all ac traction but a southern ranger might give me a bit more motivation with a few different lines to try

noddy1878

Established Member

Southern DaySave is still available according to their website. Off Peak only now though. http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/daysave/

Kite159

Veteran Member
London Midland hasn't done a Great Escape for a good couple years :(

If you want 350s get a 1-9+Watford Junction travelcard from LU as I believe that allows unlimited travel from Euston to Watford Junction

Far north 37

Established Member
London Midland hasn't done a Great Escape for a good couple years :(

If you want 350s get a 1-9+Watford Junction travelcard from LU as I believe that allows unlimited travel from Euston to Watford Junction

ah i see it still comes up on national rail enquiries just seen the dates was 2015 lol should be taken down i think

never thought about zones 1-9 travelcard good idea

Techniquest

Veteran Member
LM Great Escapes are much missed, we've all been hoping it would come back. It might still happen though!

Good news the Southern DaySave is indeed available, I must remember that for some shack scoring missions. Like the OP I need 313/2s, and don't ask how many Southern 377s I still need...

LordCreed

I'll echo the West Midlands Day Ranger, or should you be planning several days, the Heart of England Rover. It covers a wide area, and a wide selection of traction. I'm definitely planning another one later this year.

Far north 37

Established Member
hi people after a bit of time not trip reporting i have been out and about but never got round to typing up a report.

so today started off heading to paddington to head out to ealing broadway to see what locos inthe yard at acton, now this chasing locos and waiting for freight trains slows me down chasing units for haulage as i have probably all these locos before but never recorded them so need to make an accurate log now.
so away from paddington it was winner 165117 to ealing broadway these are units im chasing down here if i can now, it was 66 plentiful at acton yard with only 66074 required though.
as i was leaving paddington i noticed a 387 unit with 140 as the last three digits on the carriage so knew i would need and thinking it would be paired with a higher number unit i jump of at ealing broadway and waited for it.
and said 387140 and 387144 formed double winners to west ealing and the only time i have seen gwr revenue on board in over a year hopefully they start keeping on top of things now.
so after bailing at west ealing went and touched out as this oyster thing is a nightmare having to keep touching in touching out everywhere.
waiting at west ealing 59203 which i had seen at acton yard earlier passed by on an empty jumbo to merehead and looking at the departures seen there was a freightliner working due that was being held at hanwell, the next service to paddington was a heathrow connect and only having 360201 not logged for haulage even though im sure id had it before id see what arrived.

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
so seeing my freightliner was being held at hanwell the heathrow connect arrived and it was i couldnt believe 360201 so thats one tiny subclass cleared at least, checking on rtt i realised i could see the freightliner working at ealing broadway so left 201 there and waited till dud 66556 rolled through another dud 66 but was able then to take winner 165130 and dud 165112 to paddington 57310 was at old oak on the run to paddington and 66759 at royal oak crossrail.

pardon me guys if theres any spelling mistakes but having to do this in a few seperate sections as im on my phone so please bear with me.

as i got to paddington it was a jump round to the hammersmith and city lines which is a walk that is a lot of time and hassle now i think and the service is never great.
anyway circle line was taken to liverpool street never sure how to record these s stock units, arriving at liverpool street it was a quick walk to the main concourse.
after looking to see if i could try blag a 90 i was out of luck and took double winners 321359 and 321420 to stratford.
after a quick fester at stratford i decided on heading back to liverpool street and took the next ga train which was triple winners 321343 321407 and 321435.
back at liverpool street seen plenty units on the way and nowhere near the chaos there was last night when the line was blocked at chelmsford.
after arriving it was a quick hop to moorgate for dud 313018 and winner 313057 to finsbury park, once there it was up to platform 4 for a kings cross train.
dud 365515 and winner 365539 were taken to kings cross 67003 in its blue livery being the kings cross. thunderbird.
from kings cross it was the long walk to the st pancras thameslink platforms and actually arrived to find everything working surprisingly, no but every day most days have hassle on my commute.
in the middle of rush hour the first stopping train turns up and its a 4 car 319 and its required i mean a 4 car unit at this time of day is shocking didnt even attempt to get on was absolute packed out.
waited then for a lightly packed 12 car 700108 to west hampstead then a quick spin on 378218 to brondesbury on the overground to finish my day off

all in all a good day a few winners few different types of unit

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
sorry guys that wasnt my best report at all but doing it on a phone that barely types what you want and is so slow also.
thats what put me off putting my last few up need a decent device and one that doesnt keep logging you out

Techniquest

Veteran Member
sorry guys that wasnt my best report at all but doing it on a phone that barely types what you want and is so slow also.
thats what put me off putting my last few up need a decent device and one that doesnt keep logging you out

I type all my trip reports on my phone. My preferred way of doing it is to type it all in memo files (it's not the easiest thing to describe in text form, much easier face to face) and copy-paste them all into one post when I'm done. Avoids the farce of being logged out after 20 minutes (or however long it is) and losing all your work.

Looks like you had a productive spin around London!

Far north 37

Established Member
hi everyone not done a report for a while due to bashing the same units and lines in london all the time, this is something i need to vary a little more.

saturday im going to do a thames branches day ranger mainly to bash hst's between paddington and reading and maybe get a couple of branches in seems real good value for £19.99.

anyone that has used this ticket with any advice or tips would be most welcome to hear them.

trip report to follow

Far north 37

Established Member
[DAY OUT ROUND LONDON 9/6/17

hi everyone first trip report for a while and wasn't what i had planned originally was wanting to do a thames valley branches on the saturday but had to change plans a little.

due to ending up having the friday of work at short notice i decided to get out and about for the day and after a look on rtt to decide the first train of the day i chose the 10.04 from wembley central to clapham junction, on time arrival produced winner 377706 which i realised was my first 377/7 after departing wembley 92032 was spotted on china clay empties in the yard and a few other dud 66s and 67s also 87002 92010 and 92014 in the vincinity shunting sleeper stock.
on the way to clapham i noticed this service passed the old willesden freightliner terminal and a few freightliner 66s were noted but too late to id so the original plan to go to clapham junction and carry on from there changed to try find a service back along the same route.
a quick look on rtt found if i bailed at imperial wharf which was a new shack would give me a short wait for a train back to wembley so after bailing there i exited and crossed to the other platform but as the rain was pouring down i decided to take the next overground service to west brompton which im sure id used before but wasnt sure but anyway dud 378209 was taken there with the weather still miserable.
after bailing at west brompton waiting for my southern service one of my last lo 378/2s pulled up on the opposite platform 378227 after a check on rtt it was heading back to willesden junction only so must of being going back to depot so would have to wait for another time grrr.
on time winner 377702 turned up to take me back to wembley and with only being able to catch 66953 which seems to have been here for months now as its here most times i pass due to 66006 blocking everything else on its train of box wagons it ended up a pointless trip sadly.

sorry if this trip appears in sections again at a time this is due to keep being logged out.

Far north 37

Established Member
grrr just flicked the wrong way on my phone and lost the whole part of the trip i just typed i really need a pc or tablet.

anyway after getting of at wembley the stomach decided food was needed and greggs was had for a steak bake and coffee not bad value for £2.
once back at wembley central i seen a london midland service i decided to take that to euston and make a plan on the way and on time winner 350238 rolled in to take me on a fast run to euston spotting required 70007 on the way arriving at euston id already decided to head to paddington and try get my last few 165/1s in so a quick walk to euston square took me on a hammersmith train forgetting again to get the numbers keep making this mistake and bailing at baker street to avoid the long walk from the sub surface platforms at paddington i changed to the bakerloo for the last couple of the stops to paddington.

once at paddington i seen my first train i could get would be a twyford service so heading for this there was a pleasant surprise 37706 on the blocks my favourite traction after growing up on the far north line and seeing them daily great memories anyway i had to see what was on the front and it turned out to be 60103 tornado steaming away nicely i was thinking about waiting for this to leave to see it but thought i could catch it at ealing broadway under full power how i was wrong.
boarding the twyford train i was delighted to find it was winner 165105 one of my last few required so on the way to ealing a check on rtt found the charter was routed to victoria going south at north pole junction so no luck there lol.
passing acton yard only required 66133 was seen amongst several dud 66s and 59's only 59003 required for sight now really must make a plan to go find it.
once at ealing broadway i decided to take the next turbo back which turned out to be dud 165108 all the lower numbered units seem to be getting the repaints first is it done in order for some reason?

once at paddington i decided to head back wembley way to get my phone charged up and do a couple of things i needed to do and head back out so took the same route back to euston square then to the mainline platforms flagging a dud 378255 for the next london midland service even though this was going to harrow and weald i would get london overground back to wembley.
dud 350102 was taken to harrow and weald and on route required 378231 was spotted at south hampstead so a check on rtt a plan was made to get this on my first train once i was back out.
after a fester at harrow for the next overground service as im trying to avoid the bakerloo till i clear the 378s up here i was delighted when 378220 rolled in one of my last required and first 378 winner for a while and was duly taken back to wembley for a break to do a few normal things.
after getting life in the phone again and sorting some banking out it was back to wembley central to see if 378231 stuck to diagram and surely it did and was taken for a short trip to willesden junction down to 4 378/2s now.
at willesden i decided to try the nll for more 378s and waiting on the high level platforms nothing required was showing up so decided to take the next train east and dud 378225 was taken to brondesbury where i bailed to see what was behind us with 66421 passing on a intermodal whilst festering.
dud 378203 shows up to take me to west hampstead where i decided to try thameslink and a walk to west hampstead thameslink was taken and a near 15 minute for a southbound service during rush hour was most annoying i find my general opinion of thameslink is not good always long waits for trains and services cancelled.
anyway after arriving ecs from cricklewood and still not sure if they were on this route double winners 319217 and 319428 were taken to st pancras where the plan was to get a finsbury park service to head back to north london due to having other plans for the evening.
once at kx the next service was nearly thirty minutes to finsbury park at rush hour too, so new plan was back to west hampstead thameslink then see if i could get another 378 in maybe so once onto the platform at st pancras couldnt believe it a 12 minute wait for a west hampstead service in the height of the rush hour what happened to trains every 3 minutes the boards were showing 4 trains on all services in a 30 minute period not good for a commuter network.
eventually another pair of double winners 319437 and 319443 showed up to take me back to west hampstead i got lucky there as i didnt need many 319/4s.

once at west hampstead i went to the overground and after letting a few duds pass i decided to give up and dud 378212 was taken to brondesbury for my last train of the day.

anyway good day and good to get a report up again as i have said before i hope to improve my style and add a bit more detail in anyway thats it for now hopefully more to follow

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very good. Nice to see a 37 at Paddington too.

Far north 37

Established Member
And there was me thinking the connection from North Pole to the WLL was out of use.

sorry i got that totally wrong i must of been looking at something else at the time the charter turned at old oak somewhere and went through park royal i wasnt even aware of that route maybe how thats i got mixed up haha.

i assume this must be the tracks that follow the central line past hanger lane.

i didnt realise that connection was out of use i automatically thought when it wasn't passing ealing and was heading to victoria that would of been the route it would of taken oh well wont get that track in now probably.

Last edited:

djpontrack

That was an interesting trip mate. It's always good to see a class 37 too. I've only seen 37s once in Paddington and that was in March 2007 on a railtour I was on, 37410 and 37401 from memory.
You said you grew up on the far north line, whereabouts was it you stayed? I was born and brought up at Fort William on the west highland line, so you could say 37s are in my DNA too.

Far north 37

Established Member
That was an interesting trip mate. It's always good to see a class 37 too. I've only seen 37s once in Paddington and that was in March 2007 on a railtour I was on, 37410 and 37401 from memory.
You said you grew up on the far north line, whereabouts was it you stayed? I was born and brought up at Fort William on the west highland line, so you could say 37s are in my DNA too.

invergordon was my local station still remember class 26s and 27s vaguely too although 37s make up most of my favourite memories till the 156 super sprinters took over totally sadly

djpontrack

invergordon was my local station still remember class 26s and 27s vaguely too although 37s make up most of my favourite memories till the 156 super sprinters took over totally sadly

We had plenty of class 27s in Fort William when I was a kid but I only ever saw two class 26s there, one on a freight and the other on a railtour.
I've passed through Invergordon many times but never got off there so it's still a required shack as are many on the far north lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.