• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37s trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Far north 37

Established Member
The 37 was on the rear of a trainhauled by Flying Scotsman, not Tornado

ah ok i thought it was tornado cause the number was so similar i thought its number was 4472 didnt realise it was changed is that for tops purposes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
ah ok i thought it was tornado cause the number was so similar i thought its number was 4472 didnt realise it was changed is that for tops purposes

It's now painted and run in its latter BR condition including its final BR number 60103 (pre TOPS), with German style smoke detectors.
Tornado looks similar in some ways but with larger smoke detectors and other differences as it was a much later design. Tornado is number 60163 so only one digit different and in pretty much the same livery. I can see how you made the mistake. :)

Far north 37

Established Member
hi everyone after not doing a trip report for ages and after finishing work early i decided to get out and about for a few hours and concentrate on getting some of my requirements down namely london overground 378s and great northern 313s.

the trip started at west hampstead thameslink taking winner 700002 to st pancras to change over to kings cross for a train up to finsbury park to start chasing the 313s during the peak.

at kings cross dud 365502 and winner 365530 were taken for the short run to finsbury park where i changed over to platform 1 for a short wait for winner 313047 and dud 313052 to drayton park where i got off and waited for the next train either north and south as the next northbound was double duds i waited and dud 313018 and winner 313055 were taken to highbury and islington.

at highbury and islington dud 313024 and winner 313061 were taken back to drayton park finding this a handy place to see whats coming north due to the island platform probably the easiest place to see whats running, after a short wait dud 313029 and winner 313063 were taken for a longer run to hornsey seems all the pairs are producing one winner one dud i can handle that as long as it continues.

after leaving the station for a few minutes and waiting to touch back as sometimes making all these multiple journeys without touching out for at least a few minutes seems to cause havoc with my oyster card and charges for incomplete journeys which can be a nightmare to resolve usually having to phone up most times anyone else have these problems.

anyway back to the trains and wasnt long before i was on dud 313041 and 313060 for the short leap to harringey and shortly after leaving hornsey was treated to a pleasant site 37025 on a test train at ferme park sidings, after getting of at harringey there was a bit of a longer wait dud 313044 and winner 313058 took me back to finsbury park dud 313046 and winner 313053 took me forward to essex road where after the same units now showing up i took duds 313041 and 313060 for the second time today back to highbury and islington.

with not many 378s left to get i decided to try and get them cleared as i dont really find them inspiring units and be good to have no reason to go after them anymore, so the first up was dud 378145 to dalston kingsland as this is where the more intensive service runs from and unbelievably stepping of i seen my final 378/2 378257 waiting to depart now i had been after this for months but hadnt even seen it out apart from one day i nearly got it on the north london line missed it just as the doors were closing and never seen it on the watford dc lines either so it was a great relief to find it just 11 378s to get now, so winner 378257 was taken to haggerston where after flagging a few duds winner 378142 was taken forward to hoxton alighting again for a short wait for winner 378147 to shoreditch high street, after flagging a couple of duds winner 378146 was taken forward to whitechapel where a wait on the platform produced winner 378152 onwards to shadwell which was a new shack also then winner 378144 produced for a short trip to new shack wapping.

once at wapping i thought i better tap out to keep the oyster happy god i wished i hadnt that was some climb up that spiral staircase advice to anyone exiting use the lifts with not much about outside a new plan was made and i decided to head back to shadwell and get the dlr to limehouse to get a c2c run into fenchurch street.

so back down to the platform at wapping after everything coming through being dud i took dud 378148 back to shadwell leaving me 6 378s to get now and i cant see them being to difficult with the frequency of service here.

once at shadwell i exited and god this areas worse than i remember it from working there years ago not somewhere id like to be stuck for a while so quickly crossing to the dlr station i got on the next train to limehouse which i think is a new shack and forgetting again to note the unit numbers keep doing this with the dlr and underground was quickly at limehouse for the change to the mainline platform.

a 5 minute wait produced double winners 357314 and 357315 and now the rain was coming down and it was dark so decided to start heading home, so after alighting at fenchurch street the short walk to tower hill was taken for a circle line train to farringdon where the last train of the day produced winner 700013 for a nice run to west hampstead.

all in all a good day out getting me down to 9 gn 313s and 6 378s required now not a very exciting report compared to most on here but will hopefully get me back in the swing of things.

Last edited:

87electric

Nice read that.
I hear you on the tedious 378s. I did them for 3 car, 4 car and 5 car. Drove me round the bend. Look forward to your next report.

Far north 37

Established Member
thank you god that must of took some perseverance if they added any more cars to them i would give up haha

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a productive afternoon, although personally I wouldn't have used Oyster for that. A travelcard is safer when it comes to unit hunting as you don't have to keep an eye on the time in case you go over the Max journey times (and then having a short break to prevent the back-end system linking together trips).

Agreed with the 378s, nice trains but they get very crowded and the announcements can be annoying (as is the general slowness)

Far north 37

Established Member
Sounded like a productive afternoon, although personally I wouldn't have used Oyster for that. A travelcard is safer when it comes to unit hunting as you don't have to keep an eye on the time in case you go over the Max journey times (and then having a short break to prevent the back-end system linking together trips).

Agreed with the 378s, nice trains but they get very crowded and the announcements can be annoying (as is the general slowness)

hi was only using oyster as i was only out for a few hours and only going between zones 1-3 and it worked out a lot cheaper than getting a travelcard as you can only buy a zone 1-6 travelcard which i think is a scam as the majority of people who buy them only travel between zones 1-2, if im out for the whole day i usually get a travelcard then as i go a bit further afield.

yeah the 378s can be worse for overcrowding than the underground at times.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You can also get a Z1-4 Travelcard, something I've done plenty of times before. Granted, at off-peak times it's no better a deal to a Z1-6 but at peak times the difference is around £5 so I understandably don't do a Z1-6 too often, given I usually start bashing well before 0930 when I'm in the area.

378s bore the living daylights out of me, so I fully understand the tortuously slow afternoon you'll have had. As I read your report I had some rather loud fast-paced music on which I think I would need to have on constantly the day I hunt my last 16 or so 378s. That being said, sitting in a pub for hours with my non-railway mates is so much more appealing than spending hours hunting 378s!

Far north 37

Established Member
You can also get a Z1-4 Travelcard, something I've done plenty of times before. Granted, at off-peak times it's no better a deal to a Z1-6 but at peak times the difference is around £5 so I understandably don't do a Z1-6 too often, given I usually start bashing well before 0930 when I'm in the area.

378s bore the living daylights out of me, so I fully understand the tortuously slow afternoon you'll have had. As I read your report I had some rather loud fast-paced music on which I think I would need to have on constantly the day I hunt my last 16 or so 378s. That being said, sitting in a pub for hours with my non-railway mates is so much more appealing than spending hours hunting 378s!

where do you get the zone 1-4 travelcards from be good to know all london underground machines seem to offer is a zone 1-6 for some reason yeah i keep a balance between normal life and getting out on the rails as well needs to be done.

Far north 37

Established Member
Z1-4 travelcard is anytime only :)

haha no was only asking because all you can buy on london underground is a zone 1-6 just went in and checked again the member of staff said its to try to move everyone from paper tickets and on to oysyer

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've always managed happily to get a Z1-4 on LU machines. Certainly I've got them at London City Airport's DLR station, same for Island Gardens on the DLR as well as Earls Court and Gloucester Road on LU.

I forget exactly how to find them right now, but when I've bought them they're very clearly on the homescreen.

Far north 37

Established Member
I've always managed happily to get a Z1-4 on LU machines. Certainly I've got them at London City Airport's DLR station, same for Island Gardens on the DLR as well as Earls Court and Gloucester Road on LU.

I forget exactly how to find them right now, but when I've bought them they're very clearly on the homescreen.

yeah its thrown me a bit this one was in victoria underground earlier the only travelcard offered on the screens is a 1-6 and even queried it with the staff they confirmed its the only paper travelcard they offer now

Techniquest

Veteran Member
yeah its thrown me a bit this one was in victoria underground earlier the only travelcard offered on the screens is a 1-6 and even queried it with the staff they confirmed its the only paper travelcard they offer now

This wasn't the case only 6 weeks ago, maybe try a mainline station?

Far north 37

Established Member
yeah i was thinking a mainline station probably best i spent a bit of time on the machine and went through all the options on it and only travelcard that kept coming up was a 1-6 its a journey already used up to get to a mainline station too sadly you cant buy paper travelcards from shops now either maybe its just london underground trying to push this i must try my local overground station in the morning see if i get more success with this

Far north 37

Established Member
Hi everyone not really been up to much lately apart from a trip to glasgow getting a couple of winning pendos and 314s on the paisley canal branch.

Also been unit chasing in london namely getting down to my last handful of class 313s and gwr 165s and clearing the 378s finally thank god.

Next plan is getting a thames branches ranger to see if i can get some class 800s and hsts done before there numbers seriously dwindle.

The main plan at the minute is planning an alr for next may/june not sure where exactly i want to go but my main plans are -

1. Fort william mallaig - sleeper up day train back to glasgow

2. Cornwall - hst maybe some branches then sleeper back or done opposite

3. Wales - holyhead possibly or day around south wales

4. Carlisle - cumbrian coast if the class 37s are still running

5. Anglia - class 90s and hopefully some other loco hauled trains

Any other ideas or help would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
Hi everyone not really had to many days out bashing since before xmas but looking to get back out soon and especially try get some of the hsts out of paddington as there getting more infrequent and the last turbos required too get also.

After countless 378s day in day out was glad to get home for xmas east coast up and sleeper back to inverness thought i might as well post my travels up and down.

The 23rd of december journey home started with a trip from west hampstead thameslink aboard winner 700103 to st pancras international clocking 66162 on an engineers train on the way in.

After arriving at st pancras a quick hop over to kings cross got us on to the 13.30 to edinburgh led by 91111 the first class 91 ive recorded travelling on after years of never taking numbers for haulage, and god was this train packed people suitcases everywhere so glad i had a reserved seat.
Pretty uneventful journey till peterborough nothing needed on the dbs depot but the gbrf depot threw up my last required for sight class 59003 which i was pleased with coupled up to 66132 and 66184 recently purchased from gbrf by dbs so no doubt the last time i would be seeing them in that guise.
Not much else to report on the way north spotting 66421 at york was about it.

Right time arrival into had me about an hour wait till my service to inverness so went and found a chippy for some salt and sauce had been a while since i last tasted that and was very nice.
Next back to the station and thought i would try the bar in the station which threw another disappointing pint of flat amstel same everytime i go in here.

After finishing my pint went and waited on the concourse and a last minute platform change caused chaos in the complicated web that is edinburgh waverley a mad dash over the bridge got us onto winner 170455 for the journey north to inverness another service im glad i booked a seat on as it was absolutely jammed till perth.
Once it quitened down i got a little sleep till waking up coldish around drumochter thats when i knew i was finally near home always notice the change in temperature up here haha.

Nothing much railway wise happening over xmas a trip to inverness from invergordon and back produced winner 158720 and dud 158724 only started recording my local units since last year no doubt had them countless times but cant be sure so have to class them all as new haulage.

Anyway the trip back south on the 7th of january started with winner 158719 on the only far north sunday service into inverness.
A few hours wait for the sleeper lead to visiting a few ale houses till making my way to the station to discover the sleeper stock being delayed by a broken rail.
Eventually we left behind winner 67007 for the trip to edinburgh where i took my seat in the seated mk2 for an expected sleepless night.
Now once getting to edinburgh the expected traction was to be 92043 a winner but due to it struggling on the northbound previous service gen had it as 92010 the only previous 92 ive had on the sleeper so that was a bit of a disappointment to say the least.
After managing a little bit of sleep it was right time into euston not even bothering to notice anything on the way down and a walk to the end of the platform confirmed dud 92010 at the head of the train.
378220 took us to kilburn high road to end a good festive season and back to work and normality the next day.

Not done much since back down boring 378s to work and back but yesterday decided to take a trip to ealing broadway to see which colas 70s were on the engineering trains at old oak taking the bakerloo line to paddington i boarded dud 387136 and winner 387162 for the short trip to ealing broadway on the fast lines spotting 70815 just before old oak depot.
A short wait at ealing had me on double winners 387156 and 387171 back to paddington for the bakerloo home again.

Sorry thats it a bit of a boring report but looking to get back into posting mine again and doing a bit more this year still have 3 gwr 165/1s and 4 gn 313s im after but looking to do some thames valley rangers and chiltern cats still havent been done this i will need to rectify.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would recommend a Thames Valley branches rover to hunt down those 165s now the 387s have taken over the stoppers (the only Turbos into Paddington tend to be the hourly Bedwyn and some half hourly Oxford fasts)

Sounded like a good trip to Inverness, other than having a 170 all the way from Edinburgh (something I've got to look forward to on Saturday)

Far north 37

Established Member
Thanks for that i was thinking the branches are the best place to track them down only seen one at paddington on sunday and it was one of my required 165135 but all the lights were out so must of being going to depot.

I dont envy you on the long journey on the 170 at least it will be hsts soon though.

Established Member
Nowt boring about that, was an enjoyable read and passed the time on.my commute to work.Thanks for sharing,.
Seeing one of my 2 remaining DB sheds 66184 that I need for sight, left me slightly envious. Wether i'll ever see it before it becomes a Ged is doubtful.

Far north 37

Established Member
Nowt boring about that, was an enjoyable read and passed the time on.my commute to work.Thanks for sharing,.
Seeing one of my 2 remaining DB sheds 66184 that I need for sight, left me slightly envious. Wether i'll ever see it before it becomes a Ged is doubtful.
Thanks for the reply think its still at peterborough for how long im not sure though must be due for repainting soon.

Far north 37

Established Member
Certainly a nice little read that was, been a very long time since I last saw the Far North!
Thanks yeah the far north is a very nice line but as you know yourself you can become a bit disillusioned with your own local lines.
Read your trips abroad and meant to comment back fair play for getting out an seeing a bit of the world.

Far north 37

Established Member
Hi everyone not really been writing up my last few trips out and about so going to start making a better effort, its the just been the usual stuff round london but ill start with a little mini one i had today.

After finishing work early and working next to bayswater tube i decided to do something with the day and get a few units in.
So one stop and i was at paddington and looking to see what 387s were out and about over to platform 14 and winner 387153 on a twyford service and was taken to ealing broadway, strange passing old oak common these days with nothing going on there looks eerily empty acton yard was the total opposite with 7 66s and 3 59s clocked good amount of locos on show there.
After alighting at ealing broadway a quick shop visit for refreshments and it was back down to platform 4 for the hayes and harlington stopper back to paddington formed of winner 387165 and dud 171 not a bad start and thats 32 gwr 387s in the book.

Once back at paddington i decided to try and get my first class 707s in the book been meaning to do this for weeks now so no time like the present.

I decided to get to clapham via victoria hoping to get a triple 377 in the bag on the way, so it was the circle line round to victoria keep forgetting to log my tube moves something i must start rectifying and take more notice of.
Once at victoria and it was up to the mainline platforms and seeing a littlehampton service confirmed it was a 12 car train always is when i get this one is this the norm for this service or is it just in the peaks?

Triple winners 377120 415 and 473 were duly taken for the quick journey to clapham junction, this is another class i need to make a dent in dont have as many as i like and theres so many of the damn things.

Once at clapham i bailed for a smoke and upon returning to the station went to the far side low numbered platforms to look out for any 707s coming.
On my way i noticed a large number of 450s in the depot sidings and a solitary 707.
After reaching the platforms i just missed a weybridge service with two class 707s on the doors closing just as i got on to the platform.
Slighty annoyed i persevered and stood on the footbridge watching for incoming services and seeing a ten coach waterloo service coming.

i was optimistic but this could just as easy have been a pair of 458s.
But it was what i was hoping for seeing it coming in and formed of 707005 and 013 so boarded and took a seat first impressions nice new trains but not overly different from there sister units the tl 700s but nice to be on a new train and it was comfy enough not sure what it would be like on a longer journey.

Making a plan i decided to bail at vauxhall to see what was following behind knowing it would most likely be a 450 or 458 but didnt harm to see anyway.
Seeing the next train was only a minute behind it pulled in formed of double winners 458503 and 458526 for the run into waterloo and another class i need to get more in the book of only 9 so far.

Once at waterloo arriving into platform 22 the platform clock was reading 08.49 and the one on platform 21 was reading 13.30 although it was 5pm it had me wondering for a minute has anyone else noticed these.
A quick sweep of the platforms only revealed the 707s i had just had so ill go after more when i have the diagrams.

Now it was getting cold and i was still in my work stuff i decided to call it a day and have a thameslink stagger home.
Jumping on the bakerloo to embankment and the district to blackfriars i made up to the mainline platforms and seen 377505 now in southeastern colours last time i seen it it was working the services i was about to catch.

First up was dud 700013 honestly i get this everytime i go on thameslink and after alighting at city thameslink my other tl stalker 700113 turns up next to take me to farringdon not a good start grrr.
Not to worry the next service was winner 700037 to st pancras international and a short wait for winner 700022 to take me to West Hampstead thameslink so not a bad end to my thameslink part of the trip and 33 700s in the book must improve on that got my first one out of kings cross last week so no doubt ill find them eventually.

Last train of the day fell to dud 378206 from west hampstead overground to brondesbury.
Not an exciting day but 11 winner units so not to bad.

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
A good evening session in London :)
Yeah it wasnt to bad thanks i seen earlier you were looking for 387160 was keeping my eye out but although seeing a few 387s in the passing didnt see it anywhere im needing it also as well.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yeah it wasnt to bad thanks i seen earlier you were looking for 387160 was keeping my eye out but although seeing a few 387s in the passing didnt see it anywhere im needing it also as well.

I've heard it has entered traffic this week so hopefully it will pop up on a nice working for me (i.e. not on that seemingly random Didcot fast service at 16:36ish)

Far north 37

Established Member
I've heard it has entered traffic this week so hopefully it will pop up on a nice working for me (i.e. not on that seemingly random Didcot fast service at 16:36ish)
Haha ive not seen that one whats the first stop on that slough of even reading.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Haha ive not seen that one whats the first stop on that slough of even reading.

First stop Reading, then Didcot [before going to Reading Depot]

I think it is the only 387 service which runs fast from Reading to Didcot on the mains, everything else seems to be stoppers departing westwards from Reading to Didcot

Status
Not open for further replies.