• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37s trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
Thanks there dont suppose 200 is the lesser spotted shed you refer too.
It's not one I need, but I certainly noted 66200 during a walk along Toton Bank on August 14 so it must have been visible through the gaps. Actually 66051 is the one I'm seeking at Toton, and strangely your recent catch 105 is another of the five I still need for sight.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Just catching up again. Good read there Mr Syphon, i need all them 59/1s and 59005 also eludes me. I saw all the first 4, a week after they were all delivered at Merehead and been in the cab of 59001.
The 59/1s never turn up at Ealing Broadway when I'm there, plenty times ive seen the 59/2s, the hanson ones i do see are usually parked over the far side of Acton Yard and with them silly bloody number plates, i can never ID the damn things.

Far north 37

Established Member
It's not one I need, but I certainly noted 66200 during a walk along Toton Bank on August 14 so it must have been visible through the gaps. Actually 66051 is the one I'm seeking at Toton, and strangely your recent catch 105 is another of the five I still need for sight.
66105 was on of the ones i would of seen for sure when it worked the far north line i see 66200 has escaped toton and is working the st blazey rhtt circut so doubt i will see it for a while yet.

Far north 37

Established Member
Just catching up again. Good read there Mr Syphon, i need all them 59/1s and 59005 also eludes me. I saw all the first 4, a week after they were all delivered at Merehead and been in the cab of 59001.
The 59/1s never turn up at Ealing Broadway when I'm there, plenty times ive seen the 59/2s, the hanson ones i do see are usually parked over the far side of Acton Yard and with them silly bloody number plates, i can never ID the damn things.
I had loads of trouble getting the 59/1s with those stupid little cast numberplates as you say.
I will try and make a note of what workings i see the 59/1s for you.

Far north 37

Established Member
Chasing locos part 3

I thought after after leaving this over a month now through being busy i better finish this report up.

After getting to abbey wood and no sign of 66754 i decided to head for my next target which was reported at dagenham dock so double winners 465014 and 465190 were taken to woolwich arsenal for a change onto the dlr for the trip up to west ham.

Forgetting again to note the unit numbers i always forgot to log dlr and tube numbers, anyway double winners 357035 and 357325 were taken on a c2c service to rainham and passing the yards at dagenham 66061 was seen coupled up to 92042 another class 66 of the list now.

So now i decided to try rope a few units and crossing over the platform at rainham winner 357207 was next up to take us to barking where i decided to try my luck on the goblin for some class 172s before they disappear to the midlands, first up was dud 172004 to wanstead park for a walk to forest gate for dud 315818 and winner 315820 to stratford.

Now my phone was running out of battery so decided to see if i could get a refurbished 321 to give us a much needed charge, triple winners 321303 309 and 341 turned up for the short trip to liverpool street but sadly the plug sockets were refusing to work.

Once at liverpool street i decided to get on a stansted service to see if i could get any luck on the charging and double winners 379027 and 029 provided some much needed battery life to tottenham hale.

My last target loco of the day was now at ripple lane sidings so a quick plan hatched the victoria line brought me to blackhorse road where winner 172003 took me to barking, at barking double winners 357319 and 324 took me back out as far as rainham again due to the service being too busy and not being able to see out of the windows i didnt get a proper look to id anything.

So moving on a short wait for winner 357024 and i was on the move again but obviously tops had got this one wrong and it was 66425 and not the required 66429 i was looking for.

All that was left was the run into fenchurch street for the walk to tower hill for the circle line and dud 700027 for my last unit of the day to west hampstead.

Anyway a successful day with a few locos for sight and a few winners for haulage.

Recently i did get 66429 so wasn’t too bad also got my current dbc 66s down to 2 now today after roping in 66200 at wembley yard after seeing it had worked in from bescot overnight and was due to work back this evening dud 350122 was utilised to harrow and wealdstone to rope this in, other locos in wembley yard were 67021 and 024 66002 66021 and 66564 and 566 on freightliners in the yard 66004 was on the north end of the train of wagons 66200 worked in and 66719 was spotted all on its own outside the willesden euroterminal.

So now after just after two years im down to 2 dbc 1 colas 7 freightliner 9 drs and 15 gbrf sheds to find i hopefully will have this down to twenty by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
Very well done on your 66's out of curiosity what is the Colas 66 you need?
Thanks its 66848 nearly got it a couple of weeks ago but ran past us early after running late at first my own fault for not getting there early its gone west on one of the rhtt circuit now so who knows when it might appear again.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just read your Chasing Locos reports Far North. Good stuff and I’ll always be a locomotive man at heart.
Must agree on those 59 number plates too.

Far north 37

Established Member
Hi everyone haven't reported on here for over a year largely to moving back up to inverness from london interest was kind of lost a little, last year mainly consisted of getting a few units in london a couple of trips on the caledonian sleeper getting winner 92044 and a dud 90 which i didnt bother recording.

Also had one last run on the highland chieftian from london to inverness and had a shorter run on it from perth to invernes throwing up 43206 251 from perth to inverness and 43274 and 316 for the long run to inverness marking the last time ill make that journey on a hst.

Scotrail services only managed to throw up several 170s on hst diagrams only managing to get 43150 and 177 on a classic set from perth to dundee, also after years of never recording stuff im now down to three inverness based 158s which are proving hard as i never see them about up here for some reason and 158713 has just gone into brodies kilmarnock for work so theres not much happening up here.

On getting locos for sight i have scratched of all the caledonian sleeper 73s out of my last three drs 66s they never deem to turn up on the tesco intermodal and the inverness oxwellmains cements threw up 70801 leaving me with two colas 70s to see so that just leaves the georgmas pipe train with no dbc 66s required theres not much to look out for up here although the sleeper sometimes throws up a gbrf 66.

So moving forward this year i will be looking to do a lot more first plans is try the azuma from inverness to london then a day on some units round the capital hopefully trying out the 710s and 717s as i missed them before i left lond on then try the mark 5s on the sleeper in the seats to return, but the main plan is an all line rover this summer which is still in the early planning stages although im going to try knock of as many of my last 20 66s for sight on it 13xgbrf 4xfreightliner 3xdrs but dont want it to eat into things too much.

Also i plan to be roping in the scotrail hsts as often as i can along with my first run behind a class 68 on the fife circle.

Anyway thats it for now hope you all have a good year.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite a bit to come then! Must be hard to find stuff to do in the Far North, so credit where it's due for sticking with it!

Far north 37

Established Member
Quite a bit to come then! Must be hard to find stuff to do in the Far North, so credit where it's due for sticking with it!
Thanks yeah hopefully a lot more this year though with more and more hsts coming into service should be able to find a bit more to do locally now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks yeah hopefully a lot more this year though with more and more hsts coming into service should be able to find a bit more to do locally now.

Fingers crossed! I've been off my local scene a lot for ages too, the lack of desire is very real. However, it appears there's more 5 car sets coming my way on GWR at present, and there's 196s coming soon, so I'll have new stuff to do more regularly. I'll have more money to actually chase stuff too, as my health improvement scheme is saving me a small fortune.

So much so I can afford a last minute Heathrow Express ticket tomorrow!

Far north 37

Established Member
Fingers crossed! I've been off my local scene a lot for ages too, the lack of desire is very real. However, it appears there's more 5 car sets coming my way on GWR at present, and there's 196s coming soon, so I'll have new stuff to do more regularly. I'll have more money to actually chase stuff too, as my health improvement scheme is saving me a small fortune.

So much so I can afford a last minute Heathrow Express ticket tomorrow!
Glad to see your finding a bit more to do locally as well interest went for me a fair bit there too.

Good to see your saving a bit and getting healthy too two for the price of one, heathrow express not cheap is it think its mainly gwr 387s on it now where are you away too i see on your thread over the last while you have been taking the world by storm should be a bit more ambitious myself.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm off to LA in 12 hours' time, then after I get back on Tuesday morning I have a bit of time to do LU stuff before heading over to Heathrow again for Krakow!

I *think* the 332s are still going a little longer yet. The tight-fisted side of me says to stick with LU and save money, putting it to good use elsewhere. A final farewell to the 332s though...

Slowly I'm getting nearer the end of my Bucket List, with the last 4 destinations not being cheap. Still, I did Sydney on the cheap, so I'm sure I can do Iceland on the cheap too...

Mills444

I'm off to LA in 12 hours' time, then after I get back on Tuesday morning I have a bit of time to do LU stuff before heading over to Heathrow again for Krakow!

I *think* the 332s are still going a little longer yet. The tight-fisted side of me says to stick with LU and save money, putting it to good use elsewhere. A final farewell to the 332s though...

Slowly I'm getting nearer the end of my Bucket List, with the last 4 destinations not being cheap. Still, I did Sydney on the cheap, so I'm sure I can do Iceland on the cheap too...
Enjoy, I do believe the HX 387's are no where near ready yet so I would say go for the 332's and secondly if you do Iceland then you should try to get an 757 each way preferably one Tui and one Icelandic to comparer the two.

Far north 37

Established Member

Good on you hope you enjoy LA be plenty to cram in during the time your there, you will need to have a few pennies for iceland worked over in norway and denmark so expensive these scandinavian countries as im sure your aware off.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Enjoy, I do believe the HX 387's are no where near ready yet so I would say go for the 332's and secondly if you do Iceland then you should try to get an 757 each way preferably one Tui and one Icelandic to comparer the two.

Cheers for the gen, I ended up sticking with LU in the end. Good call on the flights there, worth a look.

Good on you hope you enjoy LA be plenty to cram in during the time your there, you will need to have a few pennies for iceland worked over in norway and denmark so expensive these scandinavian countries as im sure your aware off.

Aye I've started tonight thankfully, but I still have 4 full days to do everything so it'll be fine :)

Yeah I know someone who just went to Iceland, she commented on how expensive everything was. I've no idea where I'll go, but I'll figure it out!

Far north 37

Established Member
Anyone planning doing the gbrf charity tour this year and has anyone done any of the previous one's looks interesting this year.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Anyone planning doing the gbrf charity tour this year and has anyone done any of the previous one's looks intersting this year.

I'm aiming to get tickets for the overnight leg & day 4 (with the Saturday spent making my way slowly from Carlisle towards Birmingham using a Northern freebie ticket to probably Crewe/Chester

Far north 37

Established Member
I'm aiming to get tickets for the overnight leg & day 4 (with the Saturday spent making my way slowly from Carlisle towards Birmingham using a Northern freebie ticket to probably Crewe/Chester
Ah ok i was planning the full thing hopefully long time on mk1s though.

Far north 37

Established Member
Hello again everyone this recent lockdown has gave me load's of time reading through everyones trip reports again and it's given us a right hunger to get back out on the rails and deue to relocating back to london again this is goingt to be a good place to start once deemed safe to.

Also lockdown gave me a good chance to sort my book's and need list's out and have some total's for what i require around london which is as follow's

class 158/9
not sure what the set up is with getting these between waterloo and clapham junction.

class 165/6
1 gwr 165 left 165119 which is out west now so will have to wait for another time, not sure how gettable class 166s are now probaly slough is the nearest you can pick them up i would imagine.
Chiltern 10/39 so quite a few of these should be able to pick these off within the travelcard zones over time.

class 171
believe all these are moving to emr this year.

class 315
going to leave chasing these not sure what's left running now.

class 317
need to look into these further see whats still running but a lot of requirement's still.

class 319
6/14 for london midland should grab these between euston and harrow and wealdstone.

class 321
23/105 plenty to do with these as well one of the ones im going to try finish first.

class 345
9/70 lots to do here but will wait till the crossrail core section open's before having a proper go plenty of time left for these.

class 350
61/87 now the 350/4's are down here probably gettable between euston and harrow not sure what the oyster is like for watford junction leaps.

class 365
22/40 out of the 18 left i require 11 are still gettable so must try find out what diagrams these still work.

class 375
8/112 load's to do here also should be gettable within the zone's.

class 376
6/36 plenty to do here also

118/175 a lot better than i thought with these the ones im low on numbers are the 377/1's and 377/4's are these used more outwith the zones or have i just been unlucky.

378 class cleared thank god boring work getting these in.

3//30 not sure what these are working these days now.

class 387
2 gwr left 163 and 169 these shouldn't be to difficult to get, 6/30 great northern shoulld be gettable out of kings cross.
Are the gatwick express class 387's gettable in the zones?

395 2/29 will need to work out another way of doing these.

class 455
southern 28/46 and SWR 14/91 plenty to do here as well.

class 456
2/24 shouldn't be to hard getting these with a bit of effort not sure how long these have left now though will maybe make these a priority.

class 465
20/148 fair bit of work to do on these should be easy enough to make a dent in them though.

class 466
3/43 quite a few of these left also.

class 700
60/115 over halfway should be gettable with a bit of time on the uninteresting thameslink core.

class 707
7/30 hope to get these before they transfer to southeastern.

class 710
0/55 looking forward to trying these out should be easy enough to get.

class 717
0/25 looking forward to trying these as well.

Well there's so much there to go for dont even know what to start although clapham to waterloo/victoria, liverpool street stratford thameslink core leaps will bring the greatest result's it doe's get boring very quickly so any ideas on how to break things up a little and any other advice would be greatfully received.

Mills444

Hello I'm not to sure on some classes but ill give it my best shot.

Class 158
pre covid these normally only got to London on peak time trains and their associated workings with the rest of the time this being 3 units on Romsey-Salisbury via Southampton workings.

159's only do Waterloo to Exeter and Bristol, however I think a large number of these are either fast Basingstoke to Waterloo or only stop at Clapham or Woking.

GWR 165's not sure only ones that I know will be 165's are the branch lines with majority if not all other Thames Valley working class 387's. Chiltern I have no idea sorry.

1711's last I heard they were staying until a replacement or battery elecrostars could be successfully trialled. See this thread for more information https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/battery-powered-electrostars-for-southern.192809/

315 and 317's scrapping has already started so you may never be able to complete them as a number are already stored.

319's no idea

321's Liv street to Stratford seem to be a good option for those.

350's are good for Harrow to Euston as well as Watford however am not sure about Oyster as I think it has its own fares and that travelcards do not apply to Watford Junction.

375, 376, 465, 466
All gettable on Cannon Street and Charring Cross to London Bridge moves as well as a number of Victoria to Bromley South moves.

377/1 and /4's
Main work is long distance I.e Vic- Southampton, Brighton, Portsmouth and Eastbourne all of which call at CLJ and East Croydon

Normally Vic to Gatwick fast and Vic to Brighton via Gatwick so no calling in the zones.

455 and 456's
Do what they have done since they were introduced so a while of Vic and Waterloo to Clapham moves will get you a large number.

In terms of breaking it up all I can suggest is aim to focus upon different classes for a couple of days at a time. obviously primarily the at risk classes and try to go for different areas even with the same classes, for example a few hours on Waterloo to Clapham then move onto Victoria to Bromley South via Victoria and may as well do the branch.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I did Watford Junction on travelcard one Saturday which helped me get some 350's although quite a while ago now.

You'll get your Chiltern 165's on the MET line services and also look out for services stopping at Wembley Stadium as these are often 165s.

Far north 37

Established Member
I did Watford Junction on travelcard one Saturday which helped me get some 350's although quite a while ago now.

You'll get your Chiltern 165's on the MET line services and also look out for services stopping at Wembley Stadium as these are often 165s.
thank's for your reply just looked into it you can buy a travelcard including watford junction so going to try that out and yes wembley stadium is a good one to watch out for especially when there's event's on although that may be a while yet.

Far north 37

Established Member
Hello I'm not to sure on some classes but ill give it my best shot.

Class 158
pre covid these normally only got to London on peak time trains and their associated workings with the rest of the time this being 3 units on Romsey-Salisbury via Southampton workings.

159's only do Waterloo to Exeter and Bristol, however I think a large number of these are either fast Basingstoke to Waterloo or only stop at Clapham or Woking.

GWR 165's not sure only ones that I know will be 165's are the branch lines with majority if not all other Thames Valley working class 387's. Chiltern I have no idea sorry.

1711's last I heard they were staying until a replacement or battery elecrostars could be successfully trialled. See this thread for more information https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/battery-powered-electrostars-for-southern.192809/

315 and 317's scrapping has already started so you may never be able to complete them as a number are already stored.

319's no idea

321's Liv street to Stratford seem to be a good option for those.

350's are good for Harrow to Euston as well as Watford however am not sure about Oyster as I think it has its own fares and that travelcards do not apply to Watford Junction.

375, 376, 465, 466
All gettable on Cannon Street and Charring Cross to London Bridge moves as well as a number of Victoria to Bromley South moves.

377/1 and /4's
Main work is long distance I.e Vic- Southampton, Brighton, Portsmouth and Eastbourne all of which call at CLJ and East Croydon

Normally Vic to Gatwick fast and Vic to Brighton via Gatwick so no calling in the zones.

455 and 456's
Do what they have done since they were introduced so a while of Vic and Waterloo to Clapham moves will get you a large number.

In terms of breaking it up all I can suggest is aim to focus upon different classes for a couple of days at a time. obviously primarily the at risk classes and try to go for different areas even with the same classes, for example a few hours on Waterloo to Clapham then move onto Victoria to Bromley South via Victoria and may as well do the branch.
Thanks for your reply very helpful indeed and some good idea's on breaking it up a little thank's.

Far north 37

Established Member
RETURN TO LONDON 24/7/20

Today is the day i return south to london to live and work seeing as it is now deemed safer to travel, long time still with a face mask on but hey ho, looking at travel plans the sleeper has no seated coach currently so that's not an option looking at trainline the only tickets they offered on my date all priced £180 surely that cant be right booking them two weeks in advance like i was they were usually priced £60-70.

So looking at the scotrail and lner websites i found i could get the same tickets for £110 nice profit for trainline that so booking myself onto 1B52 09.44 inverness to edinburgh which is booked a hst and 1E17 13.30 which is still booked a class 91 and takes just over 4 hours should be a better journey the azuma's can wait.

So arriving at inverness i find 43031 and 141 on a hst refurb first time on one of these and impressed straight away very bright and airy, leaving inverness 66425 has replaced 68016 on the tesco train dont need any drs 66's so that was disappointing heading south i found the seats comfy enough and the journey flew by real quick arriving into edinburgh on time.

Quickly having time twenty minute's for a quick smoke i made my way to platform 6 for 91130 pushing south to kings cross heading south noting required 92020 in gbrf livry stabled in between working the sleeper.

nothing of interest at oxwellmains both my colas 70's were at westbury that arriving into newastle i see 67007 my stalker on the cally sleeper must of had that a dozen times, into doncaster not seeing any gbrf required gbrf 66's we crawled to a stop outside peterborough where we were booked to go through non stop eventually getting moving i note required 66754 on peterborough gbrf depot bonus not many of these left now.

arriving into london right time i got the met and jubilee to kilburn ending my day's travelling and the journey just flew in quickest one ever to london it felt will definatley be using it in the future.

IPSWICH 25/720

This was a planned visit to family who i hadn't been able to see since xmas so setting off from kilburn high road i get on my first class 710 710266 to euston first thought seem nice enough and will do the job they designed for but founds the seat's a little uncomfy right away but there not designed for comfort i suppose.

Taking the tube to liverpool street there wiill be more class 90's from here sadly so find 745006 waiting to take me east quite like these quite a smooth comfortable quick journey arriving in ipswich i note 86632 and 90041 in the siding's just 86612 i need for freightliner's electric fleet which has been stored at basford hall since the pandemic.

Returning to london the next day i find my train is to be worked by double winners 321409 and 446 happy with that getting to london i decide to retrace my steps and see if i can get another winner class 710 back to kilburn but alas dud 710266 show's up oh well not a bad weekend 2 winner hst's one winner class 91 and four new units for haulage and four loco's for sight most variety i had in a long time.

Next weekend thinking bout buying a watford junction travelcard and trying to get some of my last class 350's dealt with what's everyone's thought's is it acceptable to go out bashing round london yet as long as you stick to the travel condition's has anyone else been doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.