• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

380s on the Ayr Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
380s will more than likely still monopolise Ayrshire for the time being. While nothing is ever perfect- they are a very close to perfect fit for these routes.

The only major sticking point is no Ayr drivers sign for 385s, but that's not a major problem a quick conversion course for Ayr drivers from 380 to 385 would not take too long- not even a week per driver.

Curiously Ayr based ticket examiners know them due to Ayr TEs working Gourock, Newton, Neilston and Cathcart services.

Didnt realise Ayr TE worked them services.

I think at somepoint we will see the 385s to Ayr , possibly only the Edinburgh services.

Are 385s going to Neilston to ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I think at somepoint we will see the 385s to Ayr , possibly only the Edinburgh services.

I thought they'd been to Neilston since the turnback was extended?

route101

Established Member
Guess I'll need to look at the 385 thread to check my facts, however - I'm probably wrong now I think of it, I have a feeling it was 380s I was thinking of now not 385s.

I always thought 385s would go to Neilston .But with the turnback and ive nver seen any evidence of any up that branch , no.

snookertam

380s will more than likely still monopolise Ayrshire for the time being. While nothing is ever perfect- they are a very close to perfect fit for these routes.

The only major sticking point is no Ayr drivers sign for 385s, but that's not a major problem a quick conversion course for Ayr drivers from 380 to 385 would not take too long- not even a week per driver.

Curiously Ayr based ticket examiners know them due to Ayr TEs working Gourock, Newton, Neilston and Cathcart services.

Ticket examiners don't have any operational function, purely retail, so they don't need to be trained on how to work particular unit types etc.

Ticket examiners don't have any operational function, purely retail, so they don't need to be trained on how to work particular unit types etc.

This why I said the drivers don’t “sign” and the Ticket Examiners “know” them.

Ticket examiners do get training on the use of ramps, locations of pass comms, fire extinguishers and emergency procedures particular to any traction they work. Its not safety critical yes and it’s not to the same level as a drivers knowledge, but it’s not just “retail” and selling tickets.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yeah makes sense to have the option of use

It's like anything at the moment, the virus has put everything out of kilter and so any plans there may have been are probably going to take a good while to materialise. I'm sure the good folk of Neilston, Williamwood and Whitecraigs would quite like to have 385s on their line!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
First I’ve heard of the turnback being extended, when did this happen?

Apologies if I'm misinformed but somewhere in the 385 introduction thread some months ago it was mentioned that 380s couldn't fit and that was also a reason for 385s not running to Neilston. It was then mentioned about it being extended, I'm may be mis-remembering parts of it though it seems

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Apologies if I'm misinformed but somewhere in the 385 introduction thread some months ago it was mentioned that 380s couldn't fit and that was also a reason for 385s not running to Neilston. It was then mentioned about it being extended, I'm may be mis-remembering parts of it though it seems

I think 380s and 385s can run down there. It has happened before, but single units only. The turnback is probably being extended to allow them to run double units down to Neilston as 6 car 380/385s cannot fit.

route101

Established Member
I think 380s and 385s can run down there. It has happened before, but single units only. The turnback is probably being extended to allow them to run double units down to Neilston as 6 car 380/385s cannot fit.

380s have been on the line since late in mostly four cars. But ive not seen or heard 385son any Neilston services

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Seen in thought it had been extended to permit six-car 380s to run to Neilston.

XC90

There is no room to extend the turn back at Neilston for a reasonable cost. 4 car 380's are adequate for services on this route. There is no reason 385s cant go to Neilston at the moment if required.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There is no room to extend the turn back at Neilston for a reasonable cost. 4 car 380's are adequate for services on this route. There is no reason 385s cant go to Neilston at the moment if required.

Perhaps someone was suggesting it and I've accidentally picked then as as said it had been extended then, I think that's what's happened

Scotrail314209

Established Member

Yeah, I agree that 4 car units are good. But I feel like Neilston should really go over to 3tph as the current trains are very busy off peak

route101

Established Member
Yeah, I agree that 4 car units are good. But I feel like Neilston should really go over to 3tph as the current trains are very busy off peak

Dosent it go over to 6 car 318s and 320s at peak ?

Never noticed Neilstons busy off peak, is it a quieter line than the EK?

This why I said the drivers don’t “sign” and the Ticket Examiners “know” them.

Ticket examiners do get training on the use of ramps, locations of pass comms, fire extinguishers and emergency procedures particular to any traction they work. Its not safety critical yes and it’s not to the same level as a drivers knowledge, but it’s not just “retail” and selling tickets.

Yep, when I was a TE at Motherwell, many, many moons ago. I had to be signed off on the emergency procedures, and equipment of 318, 320 and 334 (fire fighting equipment, ladders, access ramps, emergency power shut off switches inside the coach) in order to be rostered to work any of them. This meant that while I could be on a 314, it always had to have a Central TE on board as well (only happened once during a special event at Hampden) I’d never be responsible in an emergency situation (unless the driver was incapacitated), but I would need to have half a clue in order to assist them and the passengers.

The Ayr to Edinburgh/North Berwick services are an operational nightmare. They regularly carry delays from one side of the country to another.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them go at some point- they existed only to move 380s across to work North Berwick and Dunbar services to get them to and from Shields for exams and maintenance.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The Ayr to Edinburgh/North Berwick services are an operational nightmare. They regularly carry delays from one side of the country to another.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them go at some point- they existed only to move 380s across to work North Berwick and Dunbar services to get them to and from Shields for exams and maintenance.

I’ve seen that in what would’ve been the new May timetable the service was getting split into two seperate diagrams. Since Neilston became 380, I’ve noticed if there’s a delay on the 20:00 Ayr service (comes from Edinburgh) they’ll pluck the 380 from the Neilston arrival and send it out

route101

Established Member
I’ve seen that in what would’ve been the new May timetable the service was getting split into two seperate diagrams. Since Neilston became 380, I’ve noticed if there’s a delay on the 20:00 Ayr service (comes from Edinburgh) they’ll pluck the 380 from the Neilston arrival and send it out

Dont think many used it from Ayrshire to Edinburgh. The Airdrie and Bathgate line is similar with knock ons .

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Noticed for today there is an STP 08:32 Largs - Glasgow service which has a calling pattern I've never seen before for a service from Largs.

Largs, Kilwinning, Johnstone, Paisley, Glasgow

Does anyone know why this is? It seems a little bit random to run that service from Largs 20 minutes earlier than usual, when in the proper WTT it departs at 08:53 and runs as a regular service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Noticed for today there is an STP 08:32 Largs - Glasgow service which has a calling pattern I've never seen before for a service from Largs.

Largs, Kilwinning, Johnstone, Paisley, Glasgow

Does anyone know why this is? It seems a little bit random to run that service from Largs 20 minutes earlier than usual, when in the proper WTT it departs at 08:53 and runs as a regular service.

You are aware that there is a special Timetable in operation due to COVID

Scotrail314209

Established Member
You are aware that there is a special Timetable in operation due to COVID

I don’t get why they decide to run that as a random semi fast, when really it normally leaves 20 minutes later as a regular service. Seems a bit pointless to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.