• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

390001 "City of Lichfield"

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

A bit ironic naming a 390 after Lichfield when Virgin have in the same breath robbed Lichfield of its Trent Valley locals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
A bit ironic naming a 390 after Lichfield when Virgin have in the same breath robbed Lichfield of its Trent Valley locals.

Actually that was the SRA, and Virgin still serve Lichfield (although connections with CT were not held when we tried - and failed - to do this).

The SRA do, however, plan to introduce a new local service. They seem to constantly change their mind about the WCML but one day it will be something like Euston- Rugby-Nuneaton-Atherstone-Tamworth-Lichfield-Rugely-Stafford-Crewe and on to either stations to Liverpool or Preston (possibly hourly to Crewe then alternating between Preston and Liverpool).

But that was proposed a while ago, and it is unlikely to start til 4-tracking the TV line is complete, so it could be years and by that time the SRA won't exist, so who knows!

evil_hippo

It was the SRA, but let's face it, whose interest were at heart? It certainly wasn't the taxpayer, as those services were used and didn't cost a great deal. It was so virgin could tell everyone "we're this quick from Glasgow to London, 2 minutes quicker than before".

steve158

in its last days the service was operated by a 153 which was all that was needed..

what the line needs really is more VWC stops at lichfield and rugeley trent valley.

evil_hippo

So you don't think the people of Polesworth and Atherstone deserve a service?

This is short-termism. Don't the SRA realise what happens when you bustitute rail services? People use thir cars and may well ramian in the habit when the trains return, meaning the service never gets back to what it was before.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
It was the SRA, but let's face it, whose interest were at heart? It certainly wasn't the taxpayer, as those services were used and didn't cost a great deal. It was so virgin could tell everyone "we're this quick from Glasgow to London, 2 minutes quicker than before".
Ironically it is the SRA's intention that it helps the taxpayer. As in theory Virgin were going to pay Premium payments (remember thoat? :lol: ) while the Central service needed a subsidy.

steve158 said:
there's no demand at those two stops and there is a decent bus service between the two, nuneaton and coventry.
There was until it was replaced by a bus ;)

steve158 said:
what the line needs really is more VWC stops at lichfield and rugeley trent valley.
I disagree, the expensive upgrade to get the VWC trains up to 125mph can only be fully utilised if the trains really are limited-stop, and that means no calls between Milton Keynes and Crewe (except for the occasional one at Stafford, Tamworth Nuneaton Rugby), but that should only be done with a regular, hourly , stopping service provided by the new Desiros as proposed. Such a service would be much more useful than the present sporadic calling pattern, it would make a journey such as Lichfield to Tamworth possible ANY time of the day. All those places would get an hourly service to London.

If it happens...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I thought nothing stopped at Rugeley TV anymore till I went there, the TT poster advertised only some were buses, that night i saw a train terminating coming from the Town line, so that line is still in use then

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Yes, Rugely TV is still served by trains on the Brum-Walsall-Stafford service, with a fairly pointless bus service in place too, would you catch the 1058 replacement bus to Stafford (1127) or the 1109 train to Stafford (1121)? I know which one I would prefer.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
Which one is cheaper though?

Neither, it's a rail replacement bus, so rail fares apply. I suppose it's all down to whether you want to pay your £2.60 (cheap day single) to ride on a bus (or more likely a LDV/Transit type minibus) or a 150.

Status
Not open for further replies.