• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3rd rail and OHLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJC_158

hello all,

this may be a stupid question, but i have always wondered whether trains that are either powered by 3rd rail or OHLE would not run during a thunder storm.

im not an expert on Electric trains, but i would have thought that they would have some form of a safety cut system in the event of a power serge or during a thunder storm so that it cuts out all power safely.

cheers
dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
The OHLE cables aren't high up compared to high-voltage electric pylons so I doubt the risk is taht great.

Surely lightning hitting a line will do more damage to the line than any frying it may cause to a train.

O L Leigh

Established Member
No problems. Both the supply systems and traction have safety cut-outs to deal with power surges.

A lightning strike to the OLE is more likely to cause physical damage to the infrastructure than any electrical interference.

one TN

LucaZone

As the electrical wires are totally isolated anyway, wouldnt this prevent a strike that hits a pylon from connecting with the wires? So the strike would just earth straight away.

Respite

I've only ever heard of a few lightning strikes on the actual wires & this did operate the safety cut off's as well as blow a few insulators.

Dennis

Established Member
Lightning affecting signalling seems to be a more common problem - every time there's a bit of thundery weather a pile of delays seem to be attributed to this.

Respite

Lightning affecting signalling seems to be a more common problem - every time there's a bit of thundery weather a pile of delays seem to be attributed to this.
Yep modern signalling only seems to require a slight surge & thats it relays fried! Mind You I always had reservations about pulling levers attached to metal point rodding & 100's yds of steel cable in the middle of a thunder & lightning storm when I worked manual boxes :sad10: :)

AlexS

Established Member
Water Orton seems to blow every time...

Given the flash new signals at Codsall have already set about failing semi regularly, i wonder what the next thunder storm will do to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.