3rd rail EMU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

southy39

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2005
Messages
95
Location
Lanarkshire, Scotland
can someoe explain why 3rd rail only emu's require the overhead orange cant rail as they invariably dont operat enear any overhead electrical equitment.

the class 313's 319's 373's and some 375/377's should have the cant rail but why warn bout over head electicla lines where they are not operated.?

example... class 455
how many have ever ventured to OHLE equiped areas...
as they dont leave the south for overhaul... the work being done at ashford and (previously) eastleigh ... of which neither incorperate OHLE equitment.

is there a reason for this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Guest
Just a quick example of a flaw in your argument, 442s although only third rail visit OHLE areas (see Ilford)
 

andel

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2006
Messages
174
southy39 said:
can someoe explain why 3rd rail only emu's require the overhead orange cant rail as they invariably dont operat enear any overhead electrical equitment.

the class 313's 319's 373's and some 375/377's should have the cant rail but why warn bout over head electicla lines where they are not operated.?

example... class 455
how many have ever ventured to OHLE equiped areas...
as they dont leave the south for overhaul... the work being done at ashford and (previously) eastleigh ... of which neither incorperate OHLE equitment.

is there a reason for this?

the pantographs were ordered on units like the 319's that also operate on OHLE, the 377/375s - some have because they use OHLE or were planned to integrate with the Bedford routes - some 375's will be using the high speed CTRL lines I believe... all trains where using electrification must carry warnings about overhead wires - for example - all ATW units (150s, 153s, 158s, 175s) carry warnings about OHLE.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,887
Location
Just outside the Black Country
They 'ave to carry them because they sometimes go out of the Southern Region for work. Take the 442s, in the late 90s, they were hauled up to Crewe for refurbishment, under the wires from Coventry or wherever.
 

Julian G

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
3,511
andel said:
the pantographs were ordered on units like the 319's that also operate on OHLE, the 377/375s - some have because they use OHLE or were planned to integrate with the Bedford routes - some 375's will be using the high speed CTRL lines I believe... all trains where using electrification must carry warnings about overhead wires - for example - all ATW units (150s, 153s, 158s, 175s) carry warnings about OHLE.
It has been confirmed that 375s are not using the CTRL section
Due to Neutral Sections
 

southy39

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2005
Messages
95
Location
Lanarkshire, Scotland
tubechallenger said:
Just a quick example of a flaw in your argument, 442s although only third rail visit OHLE areas (see Ilford)
yes for over-haul
but i mean in general operation
however the 442 was in my memory whichis why i used the class 455 as an example as it doesnt stray to OHLE areas
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,438
Julian G said:
It has been confirmed that 375s are not using the CTRL section
Due to Neutral Sections
Just out of interest - what make the CTRL neutral sections so much different to the neutral sections on NR?
 

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Joined
7 Sep 2005
Messages
1,787
Location
Loughborough
Tomnick said:
Just out of interest - what make the CTRL neutral sections so much different to the neutral sections on NR?

AFAIK its because the CTRL isn't fitted with APC (automatic power control) which trips the circuit breaker before a neutral section and resets it afterwards, so trains using it have to have a switch to manually trip and reset the breaker from the cab whilst the train is moving. On British locos and units this can't be done without dropping the pantograph. You could say that our trains arn't backwardly compatable with the more primative, manual system on the continent, but that would damage the illusion that everything about the continental railways is far superior to ours.
 

The Gricer

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2005
Messages
269
Location
MP 34½ SWML
southy39 said:
can someoe explain why 3rd rail only emu's require the overhead orange cant rail as they invariably dont operat enear any overhead electrical equitment.
It basically comes down to route acceptance. The SWT Desiros don't have route acceptance anywhere where there is OLE and as such do not need the cantrail stripe.

The following is an extract from the group standards.

This Standard applies to all:
• locomotives;
• power cars;
• passenger and personnel carrying coaching stock and multiple units;
• parcels vehicles;
• service vehicles converted from locomotives, coaching stock and multiple
units;
• on-track machines, rail mounted maintenance machines, road-rail
vehicles, road-rail recovery vehicles (applicable for each type where the
design allows).
except:
• vehicles with route acceptance limited to lines NOT electrified on the
overhead system;
• steam locomotives.


The full thing can currently be found here although the actual URIs on this site have a habit of changing frequently.
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/docushare/dsweb/Get/Rail-19331/Rt2181.pdf


Frank
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top