• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4 minute Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Barry

Been doing some historical research into where alarms would have gone but have not been able to identify any location. I know they would have been removed now like a lot of other places but does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

itfcfan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-minute_warning
The four-minute warning was a public alert system conceived by the British Government during the Cold War and operated between 1953 and 1992. The name derived from the approximate length of time from the point at which a Soviet nuclear missile attack against the United Kingdom could be confirmed and the impact of those missiles on their targets. The population was to be notified by means of air raid sirens, television and radio, and urged to seek cover immediately. In practice, the warning would have been more likely three minutes or less.

Jack Barry

There’s one right by the track between Hale and Ashley in Cheshire :)
Martin,

This is the underground section so although that's interesting although I think you might be thinking of something else needs to be in another group.

pdeaves

Established Member
Phil,

Perhaps alarms is the wrong word but I think the thread title gives it away.
Sorry; without context, and as this is in the Underground section, I didn't know if you meant some warning for under-Thames tunnel breach, or some sort of warning that the next train is coming, or whatever. It's been explained by itfcfan now.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Martin,

This is the underground section so although that's interesting although I think you might be thinking of something else needs to be in another group.

Haha yeah I know, just saying there's a 4 minute warning siren there :)

causton

Established Member
I have my phone alarm set for 4 minutes in case I can't hear the microwave beep.

(This post is about as relevant as any other - I also am not really sure what is being talked about)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Without more information I'm not sure there's much headway to be made here so the thread is locked to prevent further off topic discussion. If the OP wishes to clarify please feel free to contact any member of Forum Staff and we can look at options to reopen the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.