• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4-PEP info

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Hi all,

Had a bit of a memory boost just now.

I remember seeing a 4-PEP unit at Clapham Yard (more than one if I remember rightly) over the years.

Can anyone give me a few bits of information on the units.

Class was 445 ?
When were they withdrawn?
Were both 4002 and 4001 stored at Clapham Junction?
When were the units moved?
What happened to them?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
The PEP at Clapham was the one in experimental livery, and was there for years - I could see it regularly when I was a kid. I did get on board it once during some (completely unauthorised) shed-bunking at Strawberry Hill, where it resided briefly before scrapping (sometime in the mid to late 80s). Really wish I'd had a camera, and also wish I'd taken some of the documentation scattered about on the floor - there were loads of circuit diagrams and stuff.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks all for the info.
Been in Manchester all day so first chance I've had to look properly.

I remember seejng them in the 80s.
I even had a photo on slide of it but can't locate it.

In June of 88 I was working for BR and used to see it when passing through.
I've marked it as seen on 1/6/1988 (although I saw them a lot more)

They looked awesome gar better than a 455 !!

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
1st time i saw the 2PEP was when it had an additional coach added and was running on North Clyde in Glasgow, imagine my surprise to this aluminium unpainted unit with painted center car whilst traveling in a Mk1 compartment 27 hauled to Oban. didnt have my camera ready but that image will be permanently engraved in me

Journeyman

Established Member
1st time i saw the 2PEP was when it had an additional coach added and was running on North Clyde in Glasgow, imagine my surprise to this aluminium unpainted unit with painted center car whilst traveling in a Mk1 compartment 27 hauled to Oban. didnt have my camera ready but that image will be permanently engraved in me

Yup, it's the beast that spawned the 313. :) The centre vehicle was effectively the first production-style vehicle, as it had the two-door bodyshell rather than the three-door one the PEPs had.

delt1c

Established Member
Looks wise the 4PEP looks better than any of the new stock now ;)
The slope to the cab front and the non opening windows really gave it style. The Blue trains in Glasgow (303's) were stylish when intoduced ( and stylish when withdrawn) but the PEP was something completely new and inovative

Journeyman

Established Member
The slope to the cab front and the non opening windows really gave it style. The Blue trains in Glasgow (303's) were stylish when intoduced ( and stylish when withdrawn) but the PEP was something completely new and inovative

True, the 303 was certainly quite modern looking, but was unmistakably Mark 1-based, with a lot of traditional features. Only ten years on from that, the PEP was radically different and pointed to the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.