4-VEP heading to Ilford

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Chris125, 4 Oct 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

The Bluebell-owned 4-VEP 3417, looked after by the SETG, is heading from it's recent storage at Clapham Junction to Ilford Depot for restoration.

The Bluebell's Facebook page has the following announcement:

Chris

2. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

That's great news, is that full restoration for use on heritage lines, or will it include Mainline use too?

3. bumblebonce

bumblebonce Member

Thats very good news indeed! I do hope it returns to the mainline, I'm sure they could make lots of money out of that on railtours! :D

4. mrknowwun

mrknowwun Member

To restore it it to its main line running state, they are going to need to disable the heating so its off in winter and on in summer, grow some kind of mould round the windows, warp the doors, stick the pulldown window half up and down, rub the seats threadbare and stick chewing gum to the floor.

Oh and put square wheels on it.

5. Bishopstone

Bishopstone Member

I thought such stock was now banned from the network due to lack of crash-worthiness?

6. Harbon 1

Harbon 1 Member

Mk1s are still used on railtours though. There was a rule where the front carriage had to be a Mk2 but I think this has been abolished now?

This is good news though because I never had the chance to see one, let alone travel on one! :D

7. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes this ban was lifted a year or two ago. However, the unit would still have to meet a load of other requirements, such as door locks, OTMR, GSM-R etc.

8. Harbon 1

Harbon 1 Member

Door locks? The only door locks I've seen on Mk1s (and early Mk2s) are a sliding bolt at the top of the door :lol:

9. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

The door locks thing is rediculous for a railtour unit. Out of interest, do the wooden bodied coaches used by London Underground require door locks ?

10. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They require a steward in each passenger compartment.

11. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

So for the VEP, just train a few volunteers to sit one to a passenger bay.

I hereby offer my services for such a role
    :D

(Even though it would mean having to spend the tour sober !)

12. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

This is very good news, I hope the VEP now has a secure future. It could be used on heritage lines, much in the way that the GCR has a similar unit, that was diesel hauled on that line, although sadly I think it was damaged some months later by vandals.

Running on the main could be done, there is talk after all of another old electric unit being brought back to service, that is the Brighton Belle.

13. antharro

antharro Member

I wondered where it had gone when I went through Clapham Junction on Sunday evening. And now I know. Good to hear it's gone off to a good home; it was starting to look a little sorry for itself sitting out there in all weathers! Will miss seeing it there though.

14. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

Bombardier's Press Release

Chris

15. GatwickDepress

GatwickDepress Established Member

Excellent news! I bagsy first place in the ale queue on the inevitable railtour. ;)

16. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Good on Bombardier !

In the above press release, I note the line "No. 3417 is unique, being the last operational unit of its class and the only mainline registered 400-series slamdoor unit in the country."

Dare we interpret this as an intention to run railtours on the main line ?

Perhaps one day I will be able to resume my natural habitat in the standard compartment travelling the main lines of Kent !

17. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

I would certainly go out of my way for a trip on the 4Vep. Just got me wondering when the 5Bel unit is launched back on the mainline would that be compatable for multiple working with the Vep?

18. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

As built no I dont think so, but as the 5BEL motor coaches are having the mechanical bits fitted from the 4CIGs then it isnt beyond possibility that they could be.

19. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

If they could ever get the Bluebell line extended to Haywards Heath, with third rail, that would make an excellent service, unless they have coaches types used on that line surviving to run, platform space at Haywards Heath permitting!

20. Monty

Monty Established Member

While an extension to Haywards Heath is in the Bluebell's medium-long term plans it's highly unlikely it'll ever have a functioning 3rd rail system in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.