• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4 x Class 321's to be converted for Swift Express Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Haven't seen a thread on this but Eversholt Rail and Gemini Rail Group announced on 18th November that 4 321's are to be converted to parcels use and introduced around February 2022

Eversholt Rail and Gemini Rail Group to convert four Class 321 units for Swift Express Freight to help tackle HGV supply chain issues​

Eversholt Rail and Gemini Rail Services (Gemini) are delighted to announce an initial programme to convert four Class 321 units for Swift Express Freight. Conversion work will commence during November with unit delivery expected from February 2022.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do agree with this sort of thing.

I hope it heralds a golden age of rail freight.

_toommm_

Established Member
Are the conversions taking place just outside Doncaster, near the RMT? I swear I saw a converted 321 a week or two ago in the Royal Mail platforms.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Are the conversions taking place just outside Doncaster, near the RMT? I swear I saw a converted 321 a week or two ago in the Royal Mail platforms.
The picture on the Eversholt Rail website shows what appears to be a 321 so you may well have seen it.

But I see elsewhere that the first conversion was done/unveiled in July - unit 321.334?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Gemini rail is based at wolverton.
Already 321419 321429 321332 321407 321428.
Have been sent there.
When at milton Keynes Central back on the day 321419 321429.
Got moved from worksop to wolverton works.
Various staff around their did mention to me that these had been sidelined for parcel conversion hence the move.
However that was back in middle October.
And units can suddenly change due to their conditions.
However above 321s x5 are already at wolverton works.

D365

Veteran Member
Hopefully some positive news for Wolverton. They've been through some turbulent times since Knorr-Bremse disposed of the works.

Mollman

Established Member
The bit I am not quite clear on is who will be operating them. Swift appears to be the Eversholt brand name for the converted units.

The bit I am not quite clear on is who will be operating them. Swift appears to be the Eversholt brand name for the converted units.

The type of thing only a few companies are overly into getting involved in. ROG is the first I would keep an eye on looking at the Orion project.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
A company name Varamis made it's public announcements a few months ago with plans to oeprate o nthe ECML with stops at Peterborough, Doncaster, York and Newcastle IIRC. Ex passenger EMUs were mentioned but not by class

Varamis Rail - Home

How often would services operate, to begin with?

As our concept evolves, we’d like to create a service that sees us operate the following paths in any 24hr period, 6 days a week (Sun to Fri):-

Doncaster – London – Newcastle – London – Doncaster

Will you be using existing depots, or will new ones be created for Varamis?

We have to be realistic, and the concept needs to remain simple. Whilst being as cost-effective as possible, we also have sustainability targets that we want to deliver. That means using all available rail terminals or stations, this, in turn, reduces our impact on the environment by ‘re-using’ existing rail facilities that we feel are under-utilised.

In our opinion, we already have the 3 most important resources available for us to fulfil our ambitions: the electrified infrastructure, the trains and the terminals.

Do you know yet what rolling stock you might be using? Locomotive-hauled or multiple units? Full electric or bi-mode?

We intend to use fully-electric 25Kv EMUs that are currently in storage around the UK. Which type we use is still under consideration, but we have a good idea the direction we’d like to progress with.

If the type of train is known, will these be specially built for Varamis or be leased from existing companies?

Varamis Rail has discussed the potential leasing of trains from two ROSCOs, and we hope to acquire trains that will be easy to modify to carry & move parcels and light goods.

Will trains be operated by Varamis Rail, or will you use existing companies, for example, DB Cargo or Direct Rail Services, to operate the services?

We will operate train services under our own brand and with our own staff. We are currently in discussions with the regulator (ORR) in obtaining our Train Operating License.

Do you know yet how many jobs Varamis will create as a result of this new service?

We’re looking to recruit 20 staff members from Heads of Departments to Train Drivers to Logistics Operatives to start our operation. We would like to grow our business as quickly as possible over the next 5 years, and we hope this will reflect in the employment opportunities

Are there any partners or companies signed up with Varamis Rail yet that you will be carrying parcels for?

We have held discussions with two major brands; one a supermarket and one a parcel delivery company.

Neptune

Established Member
I do agree with this sort of thing.

I hope it heralds a golden age of rail freight.
It’s certainly tentative baby steps in the right direction. Hopefully these various proposals for freight carrying EMU’s/BMU’s will prove successful enough to warrant further conversions in the future.

Deepgreen

Established Member
On a related issue, I have seen numerous photos of late of Christmas parcels extras being run down the WCML, using EMUs, but which are diesel-hauled. As the EMUs are 100mph-rated and the diesels (cl.47/57) 95mph at most, why the need to diesel-haul? Have the EMUs had their equipment removed? It seems like a lot of diesel haulage 'under the wires'.

3973EXL

Established Member
On a related issue, I have seen numerous photos of late of Christmas parcels extras being run down the WCML, using EMUs, but which are diesel-hauled. As the EMUs are 100mph-rated and the diesels (cl.47/57) 95mph at most, why the need to diesel-haul? Have the EMUs had their equipment removed? It seems like a lot of diesel haulage 'under the wires'.
Already being discussed here - Orion high speed logistics letting the train take the strain. | Page 3 | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)

dan4291

Saw one of these parked up near Doncaster Decoy sidings yesterday. The livery looks good, suits the class 321 definitely. Didn't see the unit number though.

DBS92042

Established Member
What’s happened to the Orion units used over the last Christmas period, are they still operating anywhere ?
They're sat in Crewe South Yard. 325s appear to be being used at the moment instead of the 319/768 units

Mollman

Established Member
They're sat in Crewe South Yard. 325s appear to be being used at the moment instead of the 319/768 units

Royal Mail are loaning them to ROG?
I think there is some confusion here - the ROG units where working the Christmas extra services (which in previous years saw the return of loco haulage). The normal Royal Mail service run with 325s is still running. ROG's West Midlands - Scotland service appears not to have started yet - as I don't know why then it is difficult to say how worthwhile the 321 conversion will be.

fgwrich

Established Member
I think there is some confusion here - the ROG units where working the Christmas extra services (which in previous years saw the return of loco haulage). The normal Royal Mail service run with 325s is still running. ROG's West Midlands - Scotland service appears not to have started yet - as I don't know why then it is difficult to say how worthwhile the 321 conversion will be.

This is something i've wondered for a while - We've gone from only one parcel service by rail (the rather low key DB operated service for the Royal Mail) to 3 within the space of a few short years. However, apart from working additional services for the Royal Mail, the ROG 319s hardly seem to have set the world on fire, despite the ongoing conversion of 321s for Eversholt / GBRf.

Grumpy

Re post 3 above I noticed there was one of these units at the Doncaster Royal Mail terminal today, but no sign of life other than the platform lights being on (on a bright sunny afternoon).

dan4291

Re post 3 above I noticed there was one of these units at the Doncaster Royal Mail terminal today, but no sign of life other than the platform lights being on (on a bright sunny afternoon).
That unit has been there for ages, can't remember the number, maybe 321334.

Is this service ever going to get up and running? Does anyone know of any progress with other units or when services might start?

fgwrich

Established Member

Is this service ever going to get up and running? Does anyone know of any progress with other units or when services might start?
Re the other units, I'm not sure to be honest. ROG have at least 3 ex Northern 319s sat in Eastleigh Works, but they haven't moved for several months now other than from inside the works to out side. Which, to me at least, says the ROG Orion project is perhaps on pause.

cj_1985

I believe to be delivered in the autumn

BRX

Established Member
Apparently one of these is on a test/demonstration run today Tilbury - Euston - Mossend.

Status
Not open for further replies.