• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

40 years of HSTs on the ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Today was the 40th anniversary of the introduction of services timed to run at 125 mph on the East Coast Main Line. To mark the occasion, VTEC has adorned one of its power cars, 43318 with some special branding, which I captured at King's Cross this lunchtime:

32191775_1918134428205952_6964713645729120256_n.jpg

43318 was part of the original ECML '254' fleet (as E43118 in 254032), but wasn't actually delivered until 1979.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
You'd think they could honour the occasion with a proper nameplate rather than some plastic stickers. Or even better follow GWR's lead and paint a couple into original colours. It's sad that the HSTs will see their days out on the ECML in the horrific Virgin livery.

On Moderation
You'd think they could honour the occasion with a proper nameplate rather than some plastic stickers. Or even better follow GWR's lead and paint a couple into original colours. It's sad that the HSTs will see their days out on the ECML in the horrific Virgin livery.
Some people........ I rather suspect you are being negative just because it is Virgin.

Given the current situation with East Coast, it’s good to see the event has been commemorated. Well done VTEC and Craigentinny depot.

More photos on VTEC MD David Horne’s Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidHorne/status/993944004717924358

BRX

Established Member
Well, it just doesn't seem to do justice to the significance of the HST in uk rail history. It's cheapskate and ugly. The design of the '40' logo also shows zero awareness or recognition of the design history associated with the introduction of the HST.

Wivenswold

Established Member
It's a nice touch in my opinion. It's a matter of opinion but I don't think it's ugly at all.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think it's good that they've marked the occasion.

Forty years in service on what is arguably the UK's premier route, is a magnificent achievement for the designers and engineers who built it.

xotGD

Established Member
Great marketing strategy: "Look - our trains are 40 years old!"

sprinterguy

Established Member
That's a nice touch, shortly before they bow out on ECML services. Quite an achievement to have reached forty years still providing the backbone of the East Coast's longer distance and off wires service! Longer by far than the Gresley Pacifics or Deltics achieved, even if the HSTs were mostly superceded (at least initially, though more sets have come creeping back in post-privatisation) on ECML core services by IC225s.

Established Member
I remember when they first started to introduce them on existing timings in 77/78, and a KX- Leeds service I was on arrived at Doncaster 20 min's early. While on the one hand they were replacing the Deltic's it was difficult not to be impressed by the performance improvement of these trains!

nat67

Established Member
Even the speed record holder 43302 doesn't even have a proper nameplate just a sticker well that's way, Virgin Taking Everyone's Conscious. It would be nice if they could have painted one up into Intercity Executive.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So that is what it said! Thanks for sharing.

Even the speed record holder 43302 doesn't even have a proper nameplate just a sticker well that's way, Virgin Taking Everyone's Conscious. It would be nice if they could have painted one up into Intercity Executive.

why? How does that help Virgin or the ROSCO? They are under no obligation to do this especially when the state of the franchise is considered. It would be nice if they did of course but that relies upon goodwill

Last edited:

On Moderation
It would be nice if they could have painted one up into Intercity Executive.
As already said, the current situation with the franchise means that things like repaints just aren’t going to happen. We should be grateful that they have recognised the anniversary at all.

scarby

How long have they got left on the ECML? I had a look around the forum but couldn't see a definitive answer. I see they are slated to continue through to December at least according to RTT.

I travelled on one last week and part of the sink fittings in the toilet were literally falling apart due to corrosion, but otherwise it was great!

cactustwirly

Established Member
The 800s are supposed to be introduced in December.
Like the GWR I suspect it will be a staged rollout, so it will be a few initial diagrams and ramp up periodically.
I suspect the 800s will indirectly replace the 90 diagrams intially before replacing the ex EMT HST diagrams (Hull exec)
So I think it will be at least February 2019 before the 43/2s get withdrawn.

nat67

Established Member
Like the GWR I suspect it will be a staged rollout, so it will be a few initial diagrams and ramp up periodically.
I suspect the 800s will indirectly replace the 90 diagrams intially before replacing the ex EMT HST diagrams (Hull exec)
I would imagine it would be what ever power cars the leasing company want back first rather than the 43/2's going first.

On Moderation
I would imagine it would be what ever power cars the leasing company want back first rather than the 43/2's going first.
It will be 43061/075 going back first.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see they are slated to continue through to December at least according to RTT...
Assuming you are referring to the validity date for individual services, then what it currently shows on RTT wouldnt really have any relevance in terms of future rolling stock changes or dates, to allow for interchangeability they’d usually carry on as is until the full changes are complete...

scarby

Thanks!

On Moderation
Assuming you are referring to the validity date for individual services, then what it currently shows on RTT wouldnt really have any relevance in terms of future rolling stock changes or dates, to allow for interchangeability they’d usually carry on as is until the full changes are complete...
Quite. All GWR IEP worked services currently show HST as the timing load.

I can't believe there's anybody who doesn't by now know that the NR data feeds on the likes of RTT show "timing load" and NOT the booked traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.