• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

442 scrap workings

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern442

Established Member
When will the next workings up north be? I'm down Hampshire way for a while and I'd like to see if I can get one of the scrap moves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VEP3417

seems a lot of moves planned for this week on rtt

monday light loco

tuesday wessex in tow

wednesday light loco

thursday wessex in tow

friday light loco

will try and photograph the runs with wessex in tow

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’m confused as to why they would be hauling a 442 down to Bournemouth depot? Is it possible it’s barrier wagons?

antharro

It'll be the locos travelling to Bournemouth. They're being dragged by diesel locos, not running on their own power.

southern442

Established Member
It'll be the locos travelling to Bournemouth. They're being dragged by diesel locos, not running on their own power.
So the locos are being dragged by other locos? :lol:
This is sort of okay as I'm not going to be around much this week, if I'm lucky I can get the scrap moves when they come next week or whenever.

Wessexshunter

Some return workings from Wolverton to Bournemouth TCD will consist of a DC 442 being hauled. They use the DC unit as additional brake force. The original plan was to propel the units off Bournemouth into Branksome station using a 66 and 73 as a translator loco. The DC 442 would then be used as barrier wagons at the rear due to AC having no brakes. Network rail dug their heals in and wouldn't allow this, hence the need for a 73 on the rear as well.

David Goddard

Established Member
We saw a Cl442 driving car (think it was from 2406) on the back of an Alleleys rig heading west on the M4 at Slough on Friday morning. Could this have been a scrap run by road? Dismissed Eastleigh as the M3 would have been more logical.

antharro

M4 westbound would indicate to me that they're going to Sims Newport. I hope not because that yard will give them the most brutal death!

I believe that was from U.2416 at Wolverton according to my mate who lives in the vicinity and saw it leave on a low loader.

Today there is 5Q81 0422 Bournemouth Depot to Wolverton Centre Sidings 66703/10 442 (Unsure which units are going)/73201/119.

Last edited:

antharro

Here's today's first scrap move.

Anyone know the 442 numbers? I took photos but annoyingly none of them got the unit numbers in focus.

sk688

Last Friday AM saw a driving coach from a 442 on the back of a lorry on the M4 around J19 for Bristol, heading West ,wonder if it's for scrap

VEP3417

i hadnt noticed the early scrap move, hope all the moves arnt at 5am in the morning as ill miss them :lol:

tuesday and thursday at 6.28pm says diesel loco plus 400 tons trailing load so i assume thats a wessex as well

and when it says light loco, by the looks of it it will be thos 3 locos in the video? rather than just 1

Established Member
I believe that was from U.2416 at Wolverton according to my mate who lives in the vicinity and saw it leave on a low loader.

Today there is 5Q81 0422 Bournemouth Depot to Wolverton Centre Sidings 66703/10 442 (Unsure which units are going)/73201/119.
2420 from Wolverton. 2409 left behind.

David Goddard

Established Member
Last Friday AM saw a driving coach from a 442 on the back of a lorry on the M4 around J19 for Bristol, heading West ,wonder if it's for scrap
Must have been the same one we saw near Slough, on an Allelys loader. Can only assume it was Newport bound

infobleep

Veteran Member
Here's today's first scrap move.

Anyone know the 442 numbers? I took photos but annoyingly none of them got the unit numbers in focus.
I love the peaceful nature of it all before and after. I take it you hard a tripod?

antharro

I feel sorry for stock going to Sims Newport. They get the most violent of deaths. I did indeed have a tripod, and was holding my SLR (you can hear me take a few photos as the train comes into view).

Nym

Established Member
I feel sorry for stock going to Sims Newport. They get the most violent of deaths. I did indeed have a tripod, and was holding my SLR (you can hear me take a few photos as the train comes into view).
Best place for them. Get the job done and over with.
Their fate was sealed the moment the AC traction and "refurb" went to the lowest bidder with the inevitable consiquences.

There are workings between Eastleigh East Yard and Bournemouth Depot every day this week.

U.2420 + 66703/73119/201 are in Eastleigh East Yard waiting to move down to Bournemouth Depot.

My mate suggests next move will be on Thursday with U.2404 and either U.2410 or U.2420 as brake force.

43102EMR

Established Member
There are workings between Eastleigh East Yard and Bournemouth Depot every day this week.

U.2420 + 66703/73119/201 are in Eastleigh East Yard waiting to move down to Bournemouth Depot.

My mate suggests next move will be on Thursday with U.2404 and either U.2410 or U.2420 as brake force.
No worries, thanks!

VEP3417

what happened to the run yesterday? as went to branksome specially and it never turned up, waited from 7 to 830 (as dont have access to the internet so guessed it might be late) so wasted my time, wont be doing that again will just see it locally instead :lol::rolleyes:

edit - just saw it got canceled, but as ive said before and ill say again, it appears these trains dont get canceled on rtt till the time theyre supposed to get to their destination as it was still showing up as running before so are the rest of them going to be the same? just so i dont waste my time :lol:

Roger B

what happened to the run yesterday? as went to branksome specially and it never turned up, waited from 7 to 830 (as dont have access to the internet so guessed it might be late) so wasted my time, wont be doing that again will just see it locally instead :lol::rolleyes:

edit - just saw it got canceled, but as ive said before and ill say again, it appears these trains dont get canceled on rtt till the time theyre supposed to get to their destination as it was still showing up as running before so are the rest of them going to be the same? just so i dont waste my time :lol:
I'm pretty sure whatever data is sent to RTT from its various feeder systems is automatically posted in RTT as soon as it's received, so it's more likely that the operator of the train decided to cancel the train some time after its scheduled departure time. Not RTT's fault! This could have been for a number of reasons, eg perhaps a fault / issue was discovered prior to departure, which it was hoped could be fixed to enable the train to run, but it later became apparent that the fault / issue couldn't be quickly fixed and so the train was cancelled, albeit some time after the intended departure.

VEP3417

ahh yes i see, happens quite regularly to me though hence annoyance :lol:

it always gets cancelled (what ever train) when its supposed to get to its destination, never before it leaves

suppose only time will tell again for Thursdays run

update 17th - rtt updated with "operated with 73201 + 73119 + 66708" so it must be running today, as im sure the one the other day diddnt update with that info as it diddnt run so ill try and photograph it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.