• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

444's, a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
I was thinking about the 444 recently and how SWT have already out grown them
I think the major mistake SWT made was ordering 23 metre vehicles for a railway that has been built around 20 metre vehicles.
Instead of these silly 444's they should of ordered solely 450's, but with some having 3+2 seating, aka the new VEP, some having 2+2, aka the new CIG and maybe a few with buffet compartments and 2+2 seating {the new BIG}.
Certainly in my area, everything revolved around 20 metre coaches. Fratton carshed was laid out for units made of 4 x 20 metre coaches. We had alot of sidings designed to accommodate 8 x 20 metre, but they are wasted by being used by 5 x 23 metre now
The service at terminus platforms like Portsmouth Harbour was based around 20 metre vehicles, for example, off peak, a 12 coach platform could be efficently used by putting the 4 coach Portsmouth - Southampton shuttle on the blocks, then putting the 8 coach Portsmouth - Waterloo fast on the top.

So does this post make sense to anybody :?: :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

insider

Sort of... But don't you have the 442s for the moment?
These are longer than usual as well, maybe SWT have a 'thing' for long coaches on some routes?

Established Member
Yer makes sense to me, there still extending the paltform at basing stoke that has taken em bloody ages!!

the 442s are on the weymouth route not the pompey line!

TheSlash

Established Member
The 442's aren't so bad as they run on the Bournemouth branch, we're talking about real railways here, the Pompey direct ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.