• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

458's on the way out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
I've heard from several different sources that the 442's will be gone within the next 2 to 3 years, most likely to be replaced with 444's and Siemens then take over Bournemouth depot, as they are very dis satisfied with Northam {Southampton}
As for turbostars, i know 3 different TOC's that have had alot of trouble with them and still do. Southern can't get theirs to work properly from the start i am told

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Southern have a slightly different version from the standard UK version. Hence why they are 171s. :)

Jim

Established Member
I doubt if they will get rid of 442's soon, or, I hope not. They are a lot more luxery then 444s IMO

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chaz said:
Look at the Turbostar. Over 200 built and is still a reliable train with all the things that you have said above Yorkie.
Yes the Turbostar is a good train, mainly based on evolution of previous designs. The only problem with them is the engines which were new and made by a different manufacturer than previous units.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I dont see the point in arguing as such about new trains, if you like them then you do, if you dont like them then you dont, personally i keep my opinions to myself, I dont like 455s, in fact I hate the buggers alot, I dont complain about them and Id still ride one to get to wherever

and people seem shocked when I say I like Voyagers, so bloody what (not you lot, spotters outside here) If I like them then I do, not changing my opinion on them cos someone esle doesnt like them, gets beyond silly

TheSlash

Established Member
yorkie said:
Chaz said:
Look at the Turbostar. Over 200 built and is still a reliable train with all the things that you have said above Yorkie.
Yes the Turbostar is a good train, mainly based on evolution of previous designs. The only problem with them is the engines which were new and made by a different manufacturer than previous units.
-and they leak
-and the cab air con fails
-and they don't like starting on cold mornings
-and they rattle when idling

Engine failure is a broad term for these units, it can be transmission, oil, coolant, fuel management systems, head gasgets etc

AlexS

Established Member
Turbostars in general aren't bad. However, they have never been able to make it onto the Cambrian Coast, simply because they lacked the pure 'oompf' the 158s have to get away from the standing start at Talerddig Summit token point (yes, Central did try it when the 170s were new). The Turbostar is also based on the Networker Turbo 165/166 units. Central had to get new engines fitted to their fleet because the originals were so unreliable.

Several plans have been mooted for the Wessie units, who knows what it will be that finally happens. Apparently, according to another email from my mate in the industry, the 458s may yet be fitted with Pantographs and moved to One Great Eastern, to allow some 321s and the 322s to move permanently up to Scotland to allow the withdrawal of the horrible 314s.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
yorkie, you were the last person I expected such comments off.

I know I'm late replying...Still, I can't express my opinion really on that, the language is, shall we say, colourful...

I've been on 458s loads of times, I always try to get on one when I go somewhere that they run to. Never failed once on me, air con was beast too!

I was penalised with my comment, which I thought was unjust, It was a fair comment. Been here 5 minutes and I think the moderation that was used was un called for

Harold

Simming said:
so what will happen to the 458s then?

the 458's are to be used in scotland on SPT services around glasgow (APPARENTLY)! so all is not lost for the 458's! swt shouldn't get rid of 458's tbh, as they have proven to be useful trains on the swt network, shame to see them go!

HBA135

Harold

Jim said:
I doubt if they will get rid of 442's soon, or, I hope not. They are a lot more luxery then 444s IMO

thanks jim for your comment to the class 444 desiros!

HBA135

Harold

TheSlash said:
I've heard from several different sources that the 442's will be gone within the next 2 to 3 years, most likely to be replaced with 444's and Siemens then take over Bournemouth depot, as they are very dis satisfied with Northam {Southampton}
As for turbostars, i know 3 different TOC's that have had alot of trouble with them and still do. Southern can't get theirs to work properly from the start i am told

thats sounds unlikely, cos unless if SWT are to order more 444 desiros, if they 444 desiros take over the bournemouth line, what will serve the portsmouth line :?: 450 desiros :?: i highly doubt it! so i don't think that the 442's will be gone for a while yet, your looking at 10 years, as the 442's (pigs) are only 17 years old, i doubt that they would want to get rid of them just yet!

HBA135

T

Tom

Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
I was penalised with my comment, which I thought was unjust, It was a fair comment. Been here 5 minutes and I think the moderation that was used was un called for

All I can say is...
Forum Rules said:
Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a temporary ban.

TheSlash

Established Member
17? More like 20! Thats just the body shells and interiors, the traction package is even older.
I've heard the 442's lease expires in a year but nothing has been ordered to replace them yet, so i give it 2 years
As for Prince Charles, i reported you, because you called someone's comments "Stupid".
The response you posted about being penalised despite only being here 5 minutes is open for debate aswell, because we both know you have been here longer than that

Harold

TheSlash said:
17? More like 20! Thats just the body shells and interiors, the traction package is even older.
I've heard the 442's lease expires in a year but nothing has been ordered to replace them yet, so i give it 2 years
As for Prince Charles, i reported you, because you called someone's comments "Stupid".
The response you posted about being penalised despite only being here 5 minutes is open for debate aswell, because we both know you have been here longer than that

errr the class 442's came into service in may 1988 (near my birthday but a year earlier) 1988 - 2005 is 17 years! may seem like 20 but i like to be accurate so they are actually 17! ;) although i do agree with you that they show their age big time, as they sound busted, still remember, they do have old 4 rep motors in them steve! ;)

HBA135

Harold

Harry Potter said:
Boys, stop having a go at each other, it's only a forum after all.

harry potter, calm down, we are only disscussing the topic! ;)

i wouldn't moan at steve or any other forum member, this is a basic general railway discusion! we like to have a laugh on forums, well at least i do! :D

HBA135

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The comments were directed at me so I can I say, let's forget about that and get along. It's fine to disagree and have a debate, that's what forums are for.

I've tried to justify my comments, perhaps not enough.

I don't hate all new trains, but I am very concerned at some of the problems I highlighted earlier in the topic.

In summary: Yes new trains are fine but only if they're a genuine improvement and don't decrease efficiency & reliability.

I don't just speak as an enthusiast but as someone who uses rail to travel to events that are time sensitive (ie we cannot afford to be severely delayed or for our train to be cancelled), and also cost-sensitive (ie if costs increase massively we simply cannot afford to go), but the people I travel with don't mind if it's a Slammer or a Voyager providing we get there reasonably on time and for a good price.

Unfortunately some of our new trains are very expensive to operate, for various reasons, and they are causing us real problems and it will get worse as fuel costs rise, and as track access charges rise (they wil rise much more for certain heavy units than was expected).

BTW the cost of electric power is set to increase considerably in the near future as well (NR are changing their pricing structure), this will heavily impact on some of the newer electric EMUs.

Coxster

Established Member
yorkie said:
Unfortunately some of our new trains are very expensive to operate.
Yeah. That was one of the reasons for having the two CIGs put on Lymington services as the cost of running a Desiro on the line seemed pointless.

Julian G

Established Member
TheSlash said:
yorkie said:
Chaz said:
-and they leak
-and the cab air con fails
-and they don't like starting on cold mornings
-and they rattle when idling

Engine failure is a broad term for these units, it can be transmission, oil, coolant, fuel management systems, head gasgets etc
and by the way the 171 that took me to London Bridge failed to open the doors for 3 minutes :(
hmm, should the 458 go to Silverlink County? :)

Guinness

Established Member
Why would 458 go to Silverlink? 350s are on they're way there! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.