• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

466 departs Paddock Wood with lights the wrong way round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southdunedain

On a slightly different note... I'm not sure if this was the case here - or if it's even possible - but I'd presume that moving with the rear lights on at the forward end could potentially be quite dangerous. Primarily for people on or around the track, e.g. trackside workers or members of the public on level crossings, who might assume that a pair of red lights means the train is moving away from them, rather than towards them...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Raul_Duke

On a slightly different note... I'm not sure if this was the case here - or if it's even possible - but I'd presume that moving with the rear lights on at the forward end could potentially be quite dangerous. Primarily for people on or around the track, e.g. trackside workers or members of the public on level crossings, who might assume that a pair of red lights means the train is moving away from them, rather than towards them...

Reds on the front is arguably more dangerous for the reasons you have stated.

However you’re not as likely to get very far because someone will point it out to you much quicker. Usually another driver approaching you. Also you can just flick a switch and change them. Not always the case for the back ones unless your unit has remote tail lights.

LAX54

Established Member
If it has the possibility of resulting in a crash or accident, then yes.
With the lights not showing red you've just removed one protection from stopping a rear end collision. Yes I know the signals should stop that from happening, but one day the holes in the cheese will line up.
In any other industry anyone paying such short shrift to basic safety as you would be out the door very quickly

If you have got to the point where you are hoping 2 reds will stop the train from crashing into the one in front, then it's too late, in fact two whites may have a better effect, with the driver braking hard thinking there is one coming his way.......on his line ! :)
But as many have said, it's almost a daily happening somewhere in the Country.

Gary B

I find it incredible that train spotters on here think they know what goes on when us drivers are out banging the iron road and thrashing about on the coalface. Your all jealous that we drive trains and you dont!!!

bramling

Veteran Member
I find it incredible that train spotters on here think they know what goes on when us drivers are out banging the iron road and thrashing about on the coalface. Your all jealous that we drive trains and you dont!!!

At the end of the day if the industry was sufficiently concerned about the risk arising from incorrect lights then something would have been done - in other words lamps automatically displayed when the cab is keyed on (which is the case nowadays on all LU stocks).

Raul_Duke

At the end of the day if the industry was sufficiently concerned about the risk arising from incorrect lights then something would have been done - in other words lamps automatically displayed when the cab is keyed on (which is the case nowadays on all LU stocks).

As long as that can be over-ridden, (I’m sure it can?) because there’s times you need reds on the front and whites on the back etc.

On Moderation
Quite the attitude you have. Six posts in and the arrogance is staggering.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I am going to close the thread at this point.

It's perfectly reasonable for someone to ask a question, though the comments posted by @randyrippley were unhelpful and I understand upset people; equally some of the posts going too far the other way were not constructive either. Can we all please try to get along?

Also just to add that if something causes concern, rather than replying, instead click the "Report" link under the post; if it's reported promptly it is easier for us to nip any issues in the bud. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.