• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4G on the tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

They've specifically said that 5G isn't going to be covered as would take too much space, which I find slightly curious. If it is going to take until 2027 we could see 4G being end of life by then!

hmm maybe. But 2g and 3g phones still work just fine. Indeed you can still buy both types of phone brand new if you really want.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ijmad

Established Member
You can already have your data stolen while on the tube. It's sitting on an Amazon storage server somewhere on an industrial estate, not the phone itself.

(In other words, stop scaremongering — at the very least until you've actually taken the time to research and understand.)

You cannot have your data 'stolen' off your phone. What they can do is look at your phone's connections to the wifi and track this through the network. They can also see which servers your phone is connecting to (unless you're using a VPN) but that's pretty much all they can see, as since the vast majority of sites are now behind HTTPS, they can't see the actual content being exchanged.

Mountain Man

They've specifically said that 5G isn't going to be covered as would take too much space, which I find slightly curious. If it is going to take until 2027 we could see 4G being end of life by then!
I doubt it. We still have 2G, at the same time 5G is being implemented, so 4G switch off is decades and decades away.

4G allows video streaming at a quality that pushes a mobile device and above which there is marginal benefit.

mrmartin

We are getting close to the March 2020 deadline for the pilot on Jubilee line. I would have maybe expected some fleeting signal here and there as it ramps up. Also rumors its badly delayed. Anyone heard anything else?

jon0844

Veteran Member
We are getting close to the March 2020 deadline for the pilot on Jubilee line. I would have maybe expected some fleeting signal here and there as it ramps up. Also rumors its badly delayed. Anyone heard anything else?

I've had the press releases from EE and Vodafone about it coming, but no more than that. Not checked to see if there's any signal to signify any works complete - but it could well be tested only at night for now. TfL could possibly be asked as a FOI request?

mrmartin

IanVisits has a small update:

The design phase for the 4G pilot project on the underground network is complete, and they have started installation work at all pilot sites and completed work in seven of the 16 tunnel bores.

Not sure if that is positive or negative!

kristiang85

Established Member
Ah I was on the Jubilee for the first time in ages yesterday going to London Bridge, and I wondered how I was getting a good mobile signal under there. This explains it!

Status
Not open for further replies.