• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4O05, 07:15 Birch Coppice Freightliner to Southampton M.C.T derailed at Eastleigh (28/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
but another photo shows some very different sleeper damage further north (earlier)...
Ah, thanks. I guess the difficulty is that the public only get to see a small proportion of the total number of photos that must be available to industry people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
What surprises me is that SWR's response today is still the same as Wednesday. I would have thought a through service from Winchester to Waterloo would be possible by now, yesterday they couldn't run a peak half hourly shuttle from Winchester to Baskingstoke and my non-cancelled trains from Farnborough haven't all been 12 car.

Is there any particular reason not to run a through service to Winchester? All the cancellations must free up enough units to make it possible. Is there an issue like not being able to reverse anything longer than 4 coaches or something? If there isn't an infrastructure issue it seems an extremely poor showing if SWR are just choosing not to bother providing a decent service.

hwl

Established Member
Ah, thanks. I guess the difficulty is that the public only get to see a small proportion of the total number of photos that must be available to industry people.
The other photo was on NR website at the time.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Is there any particular reason not to run a through service to Winchester? All the cancellations must free up enough units to make it possible. Is there an issue like not being able to reverse anything longer than 4 coaches or something? If there isn't an infrastructure issue it seems an extremely poor showing if SWR are just choosing not to bother providing a decent service.

It’s down to crewing issues. Even though there’s a reduction of 3 services an hour, the diverted Weymouth services are tying up 2 lots of crew because of the extended journey times and lack of route knowledge, with Basingstoke crews being used to run the shuttles. There’s a lot of crew sat around twiddling thumbs, but they still need to be in place to work their next working.

kristiang85

Established Member
It’s down to crewing issues. Even though there’s a reduction of 3 services an hour, the diverted Weymouth services are tying up 2 lots of crew because of the extended journey times and lack of route knowledge, with Basingstoke crews being used to run the shuttles. There’s a lot of crew sat around twiddling thumbs, but they still need to be in place to work their next working.

Can't SWR get a load of taxis/minivans to take them to where they need to be? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but if they can't get there by train, surely road is another option? (obviously not if they are stuck in Weymouth and need to be in London, but there must be some way of swapping people round to make it easier?)

Buspilot

surely road is another option?

M27 totally closed this weekend for bridge replacement works.

LAX54

Established Member
Just saw this on the BBC News site :
South Western Railway (SWR) told the BBC Network Rail's response to the derailment had been "slower than we would have liked".

"They've had to slice through concrete bearers, and assess whether the rest of the bearer can take the load. It is quite complex engineering."

is that not a bit of a contradiction ?

Veteran Member
Just saw this on the BBC News site :
South Western Railway (SWR) told the BBC Network Rail's response to the derailment had been "slower than we would have liked".

"They've had to slice through concrete bearers, and assess whether the rest of the bearer can take the load. It is quite complex engineering."

is that not a bit of a contradiction ?

Not necessarily, thohgh it reads like a criticism: I think it simply means "we'd like to run trains but we can't because..."

LeylandLen

Train 6E01 from Scunthorpe to Eastleigh yard arriving destination soon. I assume its carrying new rails having come from Scunthorpe.

GB

Established Member
Pretty sure that train is a normal WTT move and not part of the recovery plan.

Amlag

Pretty sure that train is a normal WTT move and not part of the recovery plan.

That regular train conveys new long rails , for subsequent welding into longer lengths before being taken by train to sites throughout southern England.
New and replacement S & C rails etc almost invariably these days (sadly) come by heavy big lorries to nearest road/ rail vehicle access point to the site it is reqd at.
Replacing a damaged concrete S&C bearer is more difficult due its very heavy weight compared to a timber bearer.

Can anyone clarify what's happening tomorrow (Saturday 1st Feb). According to the GWR and SWR websites, there were due to be planned engineering works causing bus replacement between Romsey/Southampton and Salisbury. It appears from RTT that a) the normal trains on that route are still being replaced by buses, but b) XC are running via Laverstock once per hour in each direction.

It seems unlikely that the work is confined to the third side of the triangle at Salisbury. Have they cancelled it but decided it's too late to cancel the bustitution, or kept the bustitution to free up track capacity for diverted trains? Or is either a) or b) incorrect?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can anyone clarify what's happening tomorrow (Saturday 1st Feb). According to the GWR and SWR websites, there were due to be planned engineering works causing bus replacement between Romsey/Southampton and Salisbury. It appears from RTT that a) the normal trains on that route are still being replaced by buses, but b) XC are running via Laverstock once per hour in each direction.

It seems unlikely that the work is confined to the third side of the triangle at Salisbury. Have they cancelled it but decided it's too late to cancel the bustitution, or kept the bustitution to free up track capacity for diverted trains? Or is either a) or b) incorrect?
Wasn’t it renewals work at Dean, and it’s cancelled? It does ask the question why GWR and SWR services haven’t been reinstated. It’s possible it was too late, at least XC would have had their staff booked already for the normal services...

LeylandLen

One of my little gripes is that when we have incidents like the Eastleigh derailment involving very quick temporary timetables and bustitutuon is that many people are involved like bus/train drivers, train crews etc. Some are limited by law to the hours they can work ; all are entitled to decent breaks and of course may not be able to work the hours thats expected off them due to illness, family problems or prior commitment . SWR/XC etc are doing their best but need co-opertion workers of course. Ive never worked on the railways but was a minor union rep who understands needs of both sides. Rant over !!

Wasn’t it renewals work at Dean, and it’s cancelled? It does ask the question why GWR and SWR services haven’t been reinstated. It’s possible it was too late, at least XC would have had their staff booked already for the normal services...

Thankyou.

By the way, if anyone is wanting to travel on Sunday, it might be worth knowing that it was about 6.30 thisevening that tomorrow's diverted trains started appearing on RTT -- until then it had been showing the normal service -- so that time on Saturday might be the time for you to look.

NRE is still showing the normal XC service for Saturday, albeit with a warning symbol and a link to the page with general information about the disruption (but no specific train times); I don't think it even had that yesterday evening.

BRblue

One of my little gripes is that when we have incidents like the Eastleigh derailment involving very quick temporary timetables and bustitutuon is that many people are involved like bus/train drivers, train crews etc. Some are limited by law to the hours they can work ; all are entitled to decent breaks and of course may not be able to work the hours thats expected off them due to illness, family problems or prior commitment . SWR/XC etc are doing their best but need co-opertion workers of course. Ive never worked on the railways but was a minor union rep who understands needs of both sides. Rant over !!
I find you little rant quite offensive to be honest...
I like many, many other employees on the railway regularly work rest days, work longer shifts than the ones I am booked for, work part of my long weekends and on a couple of occasions cut short my holiday to help out. You admit you do not work on the railway, but you make a sweeping statement about it's uncooperative employees!
I could say a lot more but would probably be in breach of my companies social media policy, so it will remain unsaid.

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
I find you little rant quite offensive to be honest...
I like many, many others employees on the railway regularly work rest days, work longer shifts than the ones I am booked for, work part of my long weekends and on a couple of occasions cut short my holiday to help out. You admit you do not work on the railway, but you make a sweeping statement about it's uncooperative employees!
I could say a lot more but would probably be in breach of my companies social media policy, so it will remain unsaid.

+1

The number of people on RF who expect drivers and guards to drop everything in their lives outside their jobs perplexes me at times. Crew regularly stay beyond their day to help out but when it becomes very other day , people do become fatigued. Not helped when people snipe from the sidelines and basically say that unless they 24/7 they are lazy militant unions members who need to be at 24/7/365 beck and call of their bosses.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Picture off NR Wessex twitter page gives an idea of what track theyve removed also the NR Wessex MD has a video on the site as well which shows a bit more of the damage to wagons and track
https://twitter.com/i/status/1223167448523907074

EPoZUCEWsAg9hGK

GB

Established Member

So what your saying is unless workers are restricted by law, ill, or prior commitments they should be at everyone elses beck and call??? As you do not know what people are actually doing to help (or not) its probably best you don't comment on it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are XC reversing at Redbridge or elsewhere?

Reversing at Southampton Central and going to Basingstoke via Romsey, Laverstock curve & Andover.

Although at least yesterday the Manchester services were cut back to start at Reading with a rough hourly shuttle between Bournemouth & Reading.

PTR 444

Established Member
Reversing at Southampton Central and going to Basingstoke via Romsey, Laverstock curve & Andover.

Although at least yesterday the Manchester services were cut back to start at Reading with a rough hourly shuttle between Bournemouth & Reading.

Was this renewal work cancelled because of the derailment at Eastleigh? It does explain why the SWR Salisbury 6 has been cancelled altogether rather than curtailed at Romsey as was the original plan. Perhaps XC are using the path that it would have used.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was this renewal work cancelled because of the derailment at Eastleigh? It does explain why the SWR Salisbury 6 has been cancelled altogether rather than curtailed at Romsey as was the original plan. Perhaps XC are using the path that it would have used.
Yes, the Dean cancellation decision was taken because of the need to run the diversions, it was publicised internally to staff. However the XC and freight diversions themselves do not require the removal of GWR and SWR from the route through Romsey, as has been seen in action for the last few working days.

This is why I mentioned that there must be a separate reason for them not running today, probably no staff booked, but I don’t know for sure...

PTR 444

Established Member
Yes, the Dean cancellation decision was taken because of the need to run the diversions, it was publicised internally to staff. However the XC and freight diversions themselves do not require the removal of GWR and SWR from the route through Romsey, as has been seen in action for the last few working days.

This is why I mentioned that there must be a separate reason for them not running today, probably no staff booked, but I don’t know for sure...

Although the original plan was to run the Salisbury 6 as a loop starting and terminating at Romsey. Following the events at Eastleigh, surely they could have just amended it to a Romsey - Redbridge - Southampton Ctl shuttle.

See page 3 of this document for proof of the original plan:
https://www.southwesternrailway.com...kly-engineering-works/week192045-a4.pdf?la=en

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Although the original plan was to run the Salisbury 6 as a loop starting and terminating at Romsey. Following the events at Eastleigh, surely they could have just amended it to a Romsey - Redbridge - Southampton Ctl shuttle.
I’m pretty sure they can in terms of pathing, but for some reason unknown to me they obviously aren’t. Perhaps they believe intermediate traffic at Millbrook and Redbridge isn’t enough on its own to justify a service?

(The planned Romsey <> Romsey SWR services are also visible on RTT if you select the “CAN” (cancelled) option.)

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member

Look at the the franchise as a whole since 2017, morale among staff is rock bottom, this isn't a good time to be expecting staff to be dropping everything to help out (which is a two way street by the way). I've done my bit by working to the legal limit of the rules twice this week not to mention Wednesday's shift start/finish times being changed no less than four times but I totally understand why some colleagues have had enough of the favours sometimes only working one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.