• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4th rail in 4ft at Northam junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
As per the title, can anybody explain why there is a rail secured the the sleepers in the 4ft on the curve at Northam junction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it's something to do with improving the return current path, or increasing track circuit reliability, rather than relying only on the jointed track on the tight radius curve.

I saw a discussion in the signal box forum a while ago that attempts to explain it here:

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4628

You can see that it is bonded to the running rails here and there. I assume it is 'simulating' something specific, or else why wouldn't they just use a big parallel cable? It's also right alongside a DC traction supply point, that gets mentioned in the linked discussion.

Last edited:

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
I think it's something to do with improving the return current path, or increasing track circuit reliability, rather than relying only on the jointed track on the tight radius curve.

I saw a discussion in the signal box forum a while ago that attempts to explain it here:

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4628

You can see that it is bonded to the running rails here and there. I assume it is 'simulating' something specific, or else why wouldn't they just use a big parallel cable? It's also right alongside a DC traction supply point, that gets mentioned in the linked discussion.

A bit of 150lb con rail is much cheaper and far larger cross section than any cable ...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A bit of 150lb con rail is much cheaper and far larger cross section than any cable ...

Suppose it is, and also probably much less attractive to copper thieves.

Probably available in secondhand condition in reasonable quantities locally at the time they installed it as well.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Cheers for the answers. SWT passenger you seem very knowledgeable about the SWT network from this and other threads, where does your knowledge come from?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There is one on the Hayes branch for the same reason I believe though beside the rail not in the 4ft.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No it isn't. There are normal check rails as well, this is in the middle of the four foot, resting on the sleepers.

That's known as a guard rail, and is fitted if there is a particular extra hazard if a train derails for any reason, most commonly the risk of falling off a viaduct. It provides an extra means of keeping the derailed train roughly in line with the track. I don't think there is any such hazard at Northam.

A check rail is close to the running rail on the inside of a tight curve or in areas of pointwork. The back of the flange contacting the check rail stops the opposite wheel climbing over its rail.

najaB

Veteran Member
It provides an extra means of keeping the derailed train roughly in line with the track. I don't think there is any such hazard at Northam.
There is, however, likely a need to improve the return current path as posted above.

randyrippley

Established Member
That's known as a guard rail, and is fitted if there is a particular extra hazard if a train derails for any reason, most commonly the risk of falling off a viaduct. It provides an extra means of keeping the derailed train roughly in line with the track. I don't think there is any such hazard at Northam.

A check rail is close to the running rail on the inside of a tight curve or in areas of pointwork. The back of the flange contacting the check rail stops the opposite wheel climbing over its rail.

But don't guard rails normally come in pairs? With tapered ends to "direct" the derailed wheelsets?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I wasn't clear enough, I was not referring to a guard rail. My earlier post should be read as saying that the additional rail is definitely not a check rail. There are ALSO normal check rails on the curve and these are NOT the additional rail under discussion. I'll clarify the earlier post.

Last edited:

Ships

But don't guard rails normally come in pairs? With tapered ends to "direct" the derailed wheelsets?

Not always, at man pic platform 14 because of the restricted nature of the viaduct we were looking at a solution with a check and single guard rail. Currently it only has 1 in the 4ft

Status
Not open for further replies.