5-10 zip Oyster card query - post COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

I asked the below before the world changed. Is zip card going away? The website looks normal but I heard it was then delayed to the spring. Our trip is now hopefully happening 29th May. if they can use the zip card again it will be worth getting it but not if it is useless after that weekend! Anyone know what’s happening? If there is a 4 week lead time we‘d have to sort this soon. I now have a network railcard instead of a gold card too if that makes a difference.

I'm taking my nieces to London in May and we are staying over in Croydon. We usually use the tube so they are free if accompanied but this will be a train ride. I can get them
Discounted travelcards with my gold card discount (or plan a train route all the way from home that is valid but probably less flexible than I’d like) but it got me to thinking about a zip Oyster card. I believe it is a £10 fee and as they are only just 7 they should get some use and I think will like tapping in themselves on the tube!
The issue is how to get them, they don’t have passports, their mum is happy for me to take birth certificates and I can visit a travel centre in advance. Ideally I’d want them in advance so we can take bags straight to the hotel.

Thanks in advance for any guidance / tips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are no plans that I'm aware of to discontinue the zip card scheme for any age group. Some journalists erroneously thought that the ending of free child fares as part of the bailout might include rail travel too, but it was only ever in relation to buses, and it didn't happen either.

The TfL web page says that you have to apply online 4 weeks in advance and take birth certificates when you collect them from the agreed visitor centre. It doesn't say the kids have to be with you when you collect (which it does explicitly say when having a young visitor discount applied to an adult Oyster) so it looks like you're ok.

talldave

Established Member
As the parent as a 5yr old in London I understand that travel is free on buses, trams, DLR, underground, National Rail, etc when he's accompanied by me or my partner. So other than his brain blowing excitement at having a card to swipe, I don't really see any benefit in getting him a Zip Oyster card. Am I missing something?

robbob700

As the parent as a 5yr old in London I understand that travel is free on buses, trams, DLR, underground, National Rail, etc when he's accompanied by me or my partner. So other than his brain blowing excitement at having a card to swipe, I don't really see any benefit in getting him a Zip Oyster card. Am I missing something?
You need a zip card for a 5 year old to travel free on most national rail services in London.

talldave

Established Member
You need a zip card for a 5 year old to travel free on most national rail services in London.
Thanks. I've now found the map on the TFL site that shows just how many services you do need the card for. At our local station, Crystal Palace, you need it for Southern services but not for Overground services. All a bit complicated.

Fiyero

There are no plans that I'm aware of to discontinue the zip card scheme for any age group. Some journalists erroneously thought that the ending of free child fares as part of the bailout might include rail travel too, but it was only ever in relation to buses, and it didn't happen either.

The TfL web page says that you have to apply online 4 weeks in advance and take birth certificates when you collect them from the agreed visitor centre. It doesn't say the kids have to be with you when you collect (which it does explicitly say when having a young visitor discount applied to an adult Oyster) so it looks like you're ok.
Thank you. I’ll try and sort it out for them then.

Status
Not open for further replies.