• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5-Car vs 4-Car CrossCountry Voyager Newcastle to Reading: Unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

life210

Hello, I noticed on Friday evening, a 5 coach voyager pulled up for this route. Is this a rarity as I was under the impression only 4 coach voyagers were used on this route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Hello, I noticed on Friday evening, a 5 coach voyager pulled up for this route. Is this a rarity as I was under the impression only 4 coach voyagers were used on this route?

Not at all, there are a number of 221s diagrams for that route.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it is something of a 'railway myth', because 221s have appeared at the Reading (and now Southampton) end of the route ever since the current origin/destination pairs appeared following the 2007 rationalisation of routes.

I wonder if the view that it is only 220s to Reading dates back to when the Reading terminators came from Man Picc?

Minilad

Established Member
Although 220s are far more likely on the Newcastle - Reading / Southampton services its by no means always. You are more likely to find 221s on the Bournemouth services though

Status
Not open for further replies.