• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5% cashback on all fares booked on Chiltern Railways website via TopCashback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungaroosh

Just to pass on my pleasing discovery that the Chiltern Railways website gives 5% cashback on all tickets if you go via TopCashback. Free 1st class delivery also (gasp). Prior to this I was using TransPennine to get 1.05%. The right amounts have tracked already:

Screenshot_20191123-115639~01.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

Interesting. They were on TCB and also offering 5% this June. I tried to book 3 tickets but the website had serious errors. Not only did the cashback not track, they charged my card and didn't give me the tickets. I was actually charged, not just an authorisation, but a few days later the amounts were refunded.

I may give them another next time I need a ticket that can be booked online

radamfi

Established Member
I used to use Chiltern but they stopped tracking. I've put in claims for missing cashback but none have been actioned yet.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've used them a few times lately through QuidCo but the cashback didn't track for me either.

gray1404

Established Member
I have never had any problems having Chiltern transactions tracking through either Quidco or Topcashback at the correct cashback rate. This applies to using both my smart phone and laptop. I have had transaction paid out through Quidco no problem. I have some transactions as Confirmed (or more recent ones showing as Pending) on Topcashback but am still waiting for the payout once around 12 weeks has gone by.

bubieyehyeh

Chiltern 5% cashback seems to alternate back and forth between TCB and Quidco. I had some fail to track, but they paid up when I put in a claim.

I found the latest version of firefox was blocking some of the tracking, so now use a seperate profile with track protection disabled for purchases.

There website is a bit slow, and twice (out of 50 odd transactions) I've booked tickets, paid on card, but it failed, it comes back and said it didn't work try again, but my credit card mobile app told me they had charged me, so I didn't retry. The email with the TOC code had arrived shortly afterwards. However both of those transactions the cashback didn't track, the claim for the first one is now settled and they paid up.

hkstudent

Established Member
Just to pass on my pleasing discovery that the Chiltern Railways website gives 5% cashback on all tickets if you go via TopCashback. Free 1st class delivery also (gasp). Prior to this I was using TransPennine to get 1.05%. The right amounts have tracked already:

View attachment 70695
Transpennine seems doesn't award cashback to non-Transpennine tickets according to the T&C in Cashback
Anyway, Chiltern's cashback is quite a nice earner.

smsm1

I've noticed the cash back percentage jumps about between the 5% and a lower amount. Done some of my commute using the Chiltern app instead of the Greater Anglia app, and found the Chiltern e-tickets to be quicker to download and use due to fewer taps required to access them.

Alfonso

Does this apply to season tickets too ?
Haven't checked this one but in every other cashback deal I've looked at the answer is "no", and I i.agine it would be for this one too. Aside from the tiny profit margins, they will only pay cashback after your journey date to stop people claiming cashback then getting a refund. This would be a long wait with an annual season.

trevmonk

Does this apply to season tickets too ?

A few years ago I did get cashback when buying the Ryde season ticket in order to get a Gold Card. But that was from Southern in the pre-GTR era and only for a £125 sale so it probably slipped through.

Incidentally, Omio are doing 20% cashback today on Topcashback, only slightly short of their highest ever rate of 25%. If the commission they receive from the TOCs is 6% you wonder how long they can keep it up.

Last edited:

bubieyehyeh

The 5% seems to have been alternately moving between TCB and Quidco for months.

I've got 5% on weekly season tickets.

gray1404

Established Member
It's also worth noting that both cashback sites offer a highest cashback guarantee. If you find a higher rate elsewhere they will beat it.

For Quidco you can do this if you find a higher rate for up to 72 hours after the transaction on a competitors cashback site.

For TopCashBack you can do this if you find a higher rate for upto 30 days after the transaction. Topcashback also all you to submit such a claim if you notice the on their own site increases too.

bubieyehyeh

I just check both TCB and Quidco and use whoever has the highest rate, so no need to claim. However TCB to seem to pay faster than Quidco.

Established Member
I've had about 50 transactions over the past 3 months - the TCB ones have all confirm and paid within 3 weeks. The quidco ones say 8-12 weeks after travel that they confirm, so none of those have moved.

I alternate for 5% rate, although in all honesty if I did them all via TCB and they did reject the highest cashback guarantee (which they have done in the past) then it's not a massive loss. I'm gonna stick with both until I get a decline status.

crosscity

Chiltern 5% cashback seems to alternate back and forth between TCB and Quidco. I had some fail to track, but they paid up when I put in a claim.

I found the latest version of firefox was blocking some of the tracking, so now use a seperate profile with track protection disabled for purchases.

There website is a bit slow, and twice (out of 50 odd transactions) I've booked tickets, paid on card, but it failed, it comes back and said it didn't work try again, but my credit card mobile app told me they had charged me, so I didn't retry. The email with the TOC code had arrived shortly afterwards. However both of those transactions the cashback didn't track, the claim for the first one is now settled and they paid up.
I am a Firefox user and have just booked on Quidco via my laptop, quoting 5%. The Chiltern side has worked fine - I booked four 'walk-up' tickets to collect at station machines, paying by credit card.

Quidco has told me it is tracking my visit, but Chiltern hasn't appeared yet as a pending transaction. When would I expect to see a reference to Chiltern on Quidco?

Bungaroosh

I take it all back: I bought £110-worth of tickets on Friday, to be delivered by 1st class post. Still hadn't arrived by today (Wed). Just checked my bank and Chiltern Railways had refunded the full amount on Saturday with no explanation. Bit of a pain that I'll have to go and try and buy those tickets again (somewhere else, of course).

Bungaroosh

Update:
I phoned them, and they said they cancelled the tickets due to "suspected fraud" "because the journey was not on Chiltern Railways routes". I have asked the fraud department to write to me to explain what was fraudulent about buying train tickets.

crosscity

I am a Firefox user and have just booked on Quidco via my laptop, quoting 5%. The Chiltern side has worked fine - I booked four 'walk-up' tickets to collect at station machines, paying by credit card.

Quidco has told me it is tracking my visit, but Chiltern hasn't appeared yet as a pending transaction. When would I expect to see a reference to Chiltern on Quidco?

Update:
I phoned them, and they said they cancelled the tickets due to "suspected fraud" "because the journey was not on Chiltern Railways routes". I have asked the fraud department to write to me to explain what was fraudulent about buying train tickets.
Wow, that's interesting. None of my tickets were for Chiltern either (just under £50's-worth). They are now in my hand after collecting them from a local ticket m/c.

DanMoist

I've just put manual claims in on Quidco for about 15 transactions that didn't track properly from about 6 months ago until this week.
I went to "raise a claim" and then selected Chiltern Railways on the Quidco site and it gave me a big list of transactions, about half of which had not tracked. So Quidco had some sort of record. The issue might be that the reference numbers are expected to begin with B but the actual reference numbers start with R.

The cashback rate goes between 3.5, 5 and 7.5% on a daily basis.

smsm1

I've had a few transactions not track recently. I switched browser from Safari to Chrome and they are more reliable at tracking. I'm wondering if having done a couple through TopCashback the things.
I see it as little bonus since I travel a couple of times per week and there's no suitable Flexi season ticket for my needs.

RJ

Established Member
Update:

That is very odd. Some TOCs would love to increase their online ticket sales, then there are others that come out with things like this. Way to push people towards a brand like T*L which is also on the cashback sites and wouldn't turn away the custom.

Having looked at the conditions on TCB there is nothing that states or implies that non-Chiltern journeys are excluded from the offer, only season tickets.

What was the outcome of this?

Last edited:

Jamiescott1

Nothing in terms and conditions to say it does not apply to season tickets.
Put in a query with topcashback as purchase did not track

Status
Not open for further replies.