• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 031

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Image courtesy of Anthony Middleton and the Class 50 Alliance based at the Severn Valley Railway.

A brilliant "What If" livery of Intercity colours being applied to Hood.

Intercity were looking at a dedicated fleet of locomotives for GW and XC work which eventually went to extended range 47's. 50's were considered which could have seen them in service with XC until the introduction of the voyagers, However the main fault of the 50's was the generators which proved to be troublesome and were never replaced by alternators upon refurbishment. The failure rate on the mule swayed Intercity away from the 50's and towards the 47's which were more universally used across the BR network and widely familiar with crews and depots whereas 50's would have required extensive retraining. 50's then became NSE sponsored locos while those with high engine hours used by civil engineers until they failed and were then withdrawn. the introduction of 165's and 159's deemed the locos surplus to requirements and non-standard and BR started to dispose of the class from 1987 onwards. The last locos D400, 8, 15, 33, 49 eking out their days as railtour locos as late as 1994. 19 out of 50 made it to preservation with 11 operational of which 3 currently mainline certified.

Donations towards the Fifty Funds 4 locomotives (50 031 Hood, 50 035 Ark Royal, 50 044 Exeter and 50 049 Defiance) can of course be made through their website, or see their locos in action at the SVR or when on tour. There are of course other class 50 groups also clamouring for donations, so if you want to see more quality restorations such as this then please give generously!

http://www.fiftyfund.org.uk/index1.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Operation Collingwood promised much but instead the 5 locos sat rotting in scrapyards. 26, 29 and 30 were salvaged with the other two surrendering parts before scrapping. Arguably too many 50's were saved....

theblackwatch

Established Member
Looks good but I'm not sure it will fit in too well at the Severn Valley like that. Now if it were a main line one....

And I agree too many 50s were probably saved - but the 'Operation Collingwood' ones were never really preserved. The good thing about so many staying around for so long was that there were a good number of spares available, and you can never have too many of them!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
50 035 previously ran in Toadhaul colours, and all 4 fifty fund locos are based there so cant see why not.

The 50's are seeing somewhat of a renaissance of late, but I dont think anyone ever expected to see 50 008 paired up with the HST-P on the Nene Valley.....

Spares have suprisingly proved to be an issue, one 50 has part of a cl40 engine in it while another is using a portugese 50 power unit. The electronic logic cards dating back to 1967 have had to be redesigned using modern equivalent components, although this in itself is a good thing as the modern electronics are much smaller and simpler. Bear in mind a number of parts are interchangeable with cl37 and cl55 which helps to an extent and a number of cl50 bogies also ended under some of the 37's

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Cracking stuff, didn't see that coming! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this one whenever I am down the Severn Valley Railway.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So THAT'S what'll be dragging the 442s over Standedge! Bringing the South Western to the North Western! <D:lol:

Just in case the smilies didn't make it obvious, this was not a serious post!

sonick

Good evening folks I wonder if anyone can help me find the timings for "0Z50" tomorrow 50031 Derby to Kidderminster ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
They have done a cracking job! Image courtesy of Jon Norman. More images on the official class 50 facebook page

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 66

DarloRich

Veteran Member
my god the paint wibblers will be frothing themselves silly - an unauthentic livery? Ye gods!

( looks good to me!)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
So THAT'S what'll be dragging the 442s over Standedge! Bringing the South Western to the North Western! <D:lol:

Thats why Boden and Spracklen are chucking out as many of these locos back on the mainline as possible, the 442's will be painted in matching liveries as semi permanently coupled sets. So far there two to be done in ONSE to pair with 17 and 26, two in BR/Laira Blue to match 7 and 35 and one in IC Exec for 31. thats 5 so far with 8 more to go. 44, 49 and 21 are currently works in progress but livery details havent yet been comfirmed but first dynamic lines and VXC red and black have been suggested, with 29 and 30 both expected to be revealed in Large Logo just in time for the MIA-NCL services to restart in 2017.

Apparently shove-duffs were considered as they already have the push pull kit fitted but the 95mph top speed didnt match the 185's 100 whereas 50's did....

:D:lol:

Just in case the smilies didn't make it obvious, this was not a serious post either:p

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
56 303 is the tug apparently...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
my god the paint wibblers will be frothing themselves silly - an unauthentic livery? Ye gods!

( looks good to me!)

The class 50 facebook page is alive with wibble, froth, pith and banter!

Outrageous!

Oh, Nurse! Matron!!!

Along with the usual "not authentic" b0ll0ck$ (Neither was Toadhaul but Ark Royal looked awesome!)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
what about a set in pullman reverse blue/grey and one in pre-NSE Jaffa Cake?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Hmm, assuming that it doesn't run early, I might go and take a squire at this passing through after work; all going to plan it should be right behind the train that I catch.

It's a shame that 50007 couldn't have been turned out to haul it down, but you can't have everything!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thats why Boden and Spracklen are chucking out as many of these locos back on the mainline as possible, the 442's will be painted in matching liveries as semi permanently coupled sets. So far there two to be done in ONSE to pair with 17 and 26, two in BR/Laira Blue to match 7 and 35 and one in IC Exec for 31.
An Intercity liveried 442? Count me as interested! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.