• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph reporting 50-60% of services to be cut due to impact of covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
On Liverpool to Nottingham it seems to only be the 12:50 off Liverpool not running and at least TPE have their 13:18 from Manchester this time. So not a bad show. Very little runs through to Norwich though.

The lack of through runs to Norwich is because of engineering work, so the Norwich services are running via Melton Mowbray, with it taking 2 hours to get just to Peterborough at the minute.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peters

On Moderation
I noticed this on my local council's website yesterday

Cheshire East Council said:
To help support the Governments vaccine rollout for the most vulnerable people from Thursday 21 January all English National Travel Concessionary bus pass holders are allowed to travel free of charge before 9.30am. All bus operators have been informed about these changes and asked to update their staff of the changes.

An excellent idea, as it means an elderly person isn't going to reject a 9am appointment tomorrow in favour of a 2pm one next week for financial reasons. I have also noticed in my area subsided bus services are currently running at their full weekday frequency, rather than the reduction in frequency and suspension of some services that we saw in the first lockdown. Now where the relevance for this thread comes in is some villages like Plumley, have no bus service but have a train. Therefore, shouldn't train operators who serve villages where the train is the only public transport have the same kind of responsibility of retaining at least an hourly service (unless they usual frequency is less than hourly)?

Tomp94

The geniuses at Southern have scrapped the Brighton to portsmouth Electro star service, and replaced it with a toilet free 313 banger To south sea.
on the plus side, and least there’s no more 2+ hour journey from littlehampton to Victoria, calling at all coastway stations plus a 10 minute wait at hove.

JRT

TRANSPENNINE have announced their revised North timetable from 1st February 2021.
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/timetables
Please note: basic pattern; many stations are served EVERY TWO HOURS; peak-hour and early and late variations occur, with an early finish on many routes.

* Liverpool – Newcastle HOURLY
* Leeds – Manchester Piccadilly via Dewsbury and Stalybridge HOURLY
( see below)

* Leeds – Huddersfield local calls EVERY TWO HOURS
* Stalybridge – Huddersfield local calls EVERY TWO HOURS

* Hull – Leeds EVERY TWO HOURS
* Manchester Piccadilly – Scarborough EVERY TWO HOURS
* Redcar Central – Manchester Piccadilly EVERY TWO HOURS

Last edited:

peters

On Moderation
Chiltern now published. Removed 1 Birmingham train an hour and more importantly my train how from work

The geniuses at Southern have scrapped the Brighton to portsmouth Electro star service

While train operators can't do a full consultation ahead of temporary cuts, is it too much for them to produce surveys asking people which trains they ideally need (if they still need to travel) and to try to build a timetable around these requirements, rather than deciding on a timetable and then responding with generic responses, if customers provide them with constructive feedback?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Just got an email about Greater Anglia reductions for 25th Jan - 19th Feb

Lots of smaller branch line services cut along with the Harwich and Walton branches

The geniuses at Southern have scrapped the Brighton to portsmouth Electro star service, and replaced it with a toilet free 313 banger To south sea.
on the plus side, and least there’s no more 2+ hour journey from littlehampton to Victoria, calling at all coastway stations plus a 10 minute wait at hove.

Cross your legs. You'll miss 'em when they're gone. At least there are services...

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
TRANSPENNINE have announced their revised North timetable from 1st February 2021.
Please note, basic pattern, peak-hour and early and late variations occur.

( see below)

South TPE goes to every two hours from next Monday

Are these cuts more severe than during lockdown one?

_toommm_

Established Member
South TPE goes to every two hours from next Monday

Are these cuts more severe than during lockdown one?

If I remember correctly, the first lockdown combined Leeds to Huddersfield and Huddersfield to Manchester stoppers so the local stops were still served every hour. Redcar to Manchester was three times a day??? and did pretty much every diversion possible (via Castleford, via Wakefield, and via Rochdale). Everything else looks roughly the same.

( see below)

Where is this on the website please as I’m struggling to find it?

greyman42

Established Member

( see below)

Is the York to Scarborough shuttle still hourly?

sjpowermac

Established Member
If I remember correctly, the first lockdown combined Leeds to Huddersfield and Huddersfield to Manchester stoppers so the local stops were still served every hour. Redcar to Manchester was three times a day??? and did pretty much every diversion possible (via Castleford, via Wakefield, and via Rochdale). Everything else looks roughly the same.

Where is this on the website please as I’m struggling to find it?
Details here:

Is the York to Scarborough shuttle still hourly?
Sadly, no.

Westbound

Eastbound

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm intrigued to see how it's going to affect train crew if at all. We have certain services withdrawn but they are only part of a diagram so for that bit both driver & guard will sit spare which is the last thing that's needed in messrooms right now. Obviously if your first bit is cancelled come in later or last bit get on a flyer. I think Sunday timetables are pretty much staying the same as even if no trains run at all, Sundays even though they are paid as overtime are guaranteed so we would have to be booked on spare anyway. Only definite saving seems to be fuel as trains lease costs still have to be paid.

LowLevel

Established Member
I'm intrigued to see how it's going to affect train crew if at all. We have certain services withdrawn but they are only part of a diagram so for that bit both driver & guard will sit spare which is the last thing that's needed in messrooms right now. Obviously if your first bit is cancelled come in later or last bit get on a flyer. I think Sunday timetables are pretty much staying the same as even if no trains run at all, Sundays even though they are paid as overtime are guaranteed so we would have to be booked on spare anyway. Only definite saving seems to be fuel as trains lease costs still have to be paid.

Our jobs are reworked every time a timetable amendment happens and we work to an emergency roster put together by the union and managers. Our lot have signified an intention to stand as many units as possible down and give them a thorough clean and tidy up and have taken on extra people to do that.

peters

On Moderation
Northern's reduced timetables combined with the weather issues are causing chaos at both Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool Lime Street. On some routes the peak time services are only 1/4 of the usual frequency and the trains are running doubled up instead of in single formation, so there's a lot less flexibility with regards to how they can resolve problems when trains are getting in 40-50 minutes behind schedule.

dk1

Veteran Member
Our jobs are reworked every time a timetable amendment happens and we work to an emergency roster put together by the union and managers. Our lot have signified an intention to stand as many units as possible down and give them a thorough clean and tidy up and have taken on extra people to do that.
I don't think our trains have ever been cleaner. Brand new & a team meet every one in to give it & cabs another going over. I think something like 42,500 cabs was quoted as being done. Who's counting??

Just unit diagrams being cut out here which bears no relation to crew diagramming.

LowLevel

Established Member
I don't think our trains have ever been cleaner. Brand new & a team meet every one in to give it & cabs another going over. I think something like 42,500 cabs was quoted as being done. Who's counting??

Just unit diagrams being cut out here which bears no relation to crew diagramming.

So I've seen - a veritable army descends on each FLIRT at Norwich :lol: - that said the EMR cleaners at Norwich have always been the most thorough at the company and do a top job too.

DDB

While train operators can't do a full consultation ahead of temporary cuts, is it too much for them to produce surveys asking people which trains they ideally need (if they still need to travel) and to try to build a timetable around these requirements, rather than deciding on a timetable and then responding with generic responses, if customers provide them with constructive feedback?
I have noticed on my EMR local comute that although the guards have stopped doing tickets checks when the latest lockdown started, they have been walking through the carriage and scribbling on a bit of paper when they get to the end. I assume they have been doing regular passanger counts which I assume have played a role in informing the cuts.

LowLevel

Established Member
I have noticed on my EMR local comute that although the guards have stopped doing tickets checks when the latest lockdown started, they have been walking through the carriage and scribbling on a bit of paper when they get to the end. I assume they have been doing regular passanger counts which I assume have played a role in informing the cuts.

Correct, as well as reporting trains that are popular with students so any removed from the timetable can be easily reinstated when educational establishments reopen. Other services including reporting social distancing issues and shopping county lines drug traffickers who think they're not hugely obvious.

peters

On Moderation
when educational establishments reopen.

Many aren't actually closed, they are still open but only for selected pupils like the children of critical workers. Even with universities they are running selected courses in person (those which can't be done fully online.)

I hope the counts were done between each station, otherwise in the case of Crewe to Derby how would they know which passengers could travel on Northern instead and which needed their service? Similarly, if they don't check tickets they won't know if a passenger who travels from Crewe to Derby is actually travelling between Crewe and Derby or whether they might be making a journey such as Manchester Airport to Nottingham, which is also possible via a different route and not likely to be a journey they are making daily.

_toommm_

Established Member
Details here:

Sadly, no.

Westbound

Eastbound

Thanks for that :)

LowLevel

Established Member
Many aren't actually closed, they are still open but only for selected pupils like the children of critical workers. Even with universities they are running selected courses in person (those which can't be done fully online.)

I hope the counts were done between each station, otherwise in the case of Crewe to Derby how would they know which passengers could travel on Northern instead and which needed their service? Similarly, if they don't check tickets they won't know if a passenger who travels from Crewe to Derby is actually travelling between Crewe and Derby or whether they might be making a journey such as Manchester Airport to Nottingham, which is also possible via a different route and not likely to be a journey they are making daily.

They are done at each station and input into a database, the intricacies beyond the input interface we don't have access to. Presumably also they use sales data.

gingerheid

Established Member
Not sure how you find the Greater Anglia information from their website, but the link in their e-mail was this .

They've taken one diagram off Ipswich to Cambridge (and it's the one that includes the most obvious commuter services towards Cambridge. I assume this is well thought through and that there is indeed no commuting towards Cambridge happening, but it seems odd. (I feel like my way of cutting a train from the services on that line would have been to curtail Ipswich - Peterborough at Ely or even drop it completely).

Anglia locals are planned to go 2-hourly off peak but no change on Sundays. Sunday frequency is hourly on every one of them.

Are they genuinely running more services on Sundays than during the week on certain lines?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Chiltern now published. Removed 1 Birmingham train an hour and more importantly my train how from work
Broadly back to the timetable from Lockdown 1 if memory serves.

Off-Peak:
  • xx.00 Marylebone - Aylesbury via High Wycombe (All stations except Sudbury & Harrow Road)
  • xx.37 Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street (Semi-Fast - 1tp2h calls at Kings Sutton)
  • xx.40 Marylebone - Gerrards Cross - Beaconsfield - High Wycombe - Haddenham & Thame Parkway - Bicester Village - Islip (1tp2h) - Oxford Parkway - Oxford)
  • xx.57 Marylebone - Aylesbury Vale Parkway via Amersham (All stations)
  • 1tp2h Leamington Spa - Stratford-upon-Avon (All stations except Warwick Parkway)
  • 1tp2h Leamington Spa - Birmingham (All stations except Warwick Parkway)
A handful of extras during the peaks, and last trains (Monday to Friday) as follows:
  • 23.07 Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street
  • 23.11 Marylebone - Banbury via Oxford
  • 23.19 Marylebone - Aylesbury via High Wycombe
  • 23.57 Marylebone - Aylesbury Vale Parkway via Amersham
  • 00.05 Marylebone - Banbury via Oxford
  • 00.10 Marylebone - Aylesbury via High Wycombe

Goldfish62

Established Member
SWR are introducing reduced Mon-Fri timetables from 25th January. They are broadly what operated in the Spring /early Summer.

Weekend timetables remain as per full scheduled timetable introduced in December. As with other TOCs this means weekend services are better than Mon-Fri. For example:

Hounslow loop via Richmond and Brentford:
Mon-Fri: no service (a 2 tph Weybridge via Hounslow service remains)
Sat: Full 2 tph each way round the loop.

Waterloo to Reading evenings last trains:
Mon-Fri: 2120; 2150; 2250
Sat: 2120; 2150; 2220; 2250; 2320; 2350; 0020
Sun: 2139; 2209; 2239; 2309; 2339

Plenty of other examples as well.

dk1

Veteran Member
SWR are introducing reduced Mon-Fri timetables from 25th January. They are broadly what operated in the Spring /early Summer.

Waterloo to Reading evenings last trains:
Mon-Fri: 2120; 2150; 2250
Sat: 2120; 2150; 2220; 2250; 2320; 2350; 0020
Sun: 2139; 2209; 2239; 2309; 2339

Plenty of other examples as well.
You have to laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.