• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50% off VTEC advance London to/from Doncaster and Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveECRewards

This is supposed to be a promotion targeted by Nectar to various people. If you do have a Nectar card I'd be interested if you were targeted and if so was it for both offers. Also if you've found any other destinations where the offer applies let me know and I'll add them.

Although the offer was emailed to only selected people it actually works for everyone. So if you want 50% off Virgin Trains East Coast advance tickets to/from London and Doncaster/Leeds follow the steps I've outlined on my blog: http://saveecrewards.co.uk/blog/50-london-doncaster-or-leeds

Remember you don't have to have a Nectar card to participate in this you can even collect Flying Club miles if you want to.

Note: if you look at the links on the page I've changed the Google Analytics tracking codes in the URL so that the link doesn't appear that it's come from a Nectar site. I don't get affiliate fees from VTEC (as if) :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It only works once for me. :( Now I'm being told that I'm not authorised to purchase with this promotion.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have even tried with a new account but still get "You are not authorised to purchase ticket with given promotion"

westv

Established Member
It only works once for me. :( Now I'm being told that I'm not authorised to purchase with this promotion.
I have even tried with a new account but still get "You are not authorised to purchase ticket with given promotion"

Should have bought all your tickets at same time. :D

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
True, clearly I got the wrong idea from "There's no limit to the number of tickets you may buy." if you can only make one transaction. Gah. I could have had a £20 First Class ticket on the 1830 with the Evening Meal Menu.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not sure if it'd work but maybe try using a different computer and a different account?

SaveECRewards

Are you still having issues? I was planning to book some more tickets today which will be the third batch I've booked so far so I'll let you know if I have issues.

Remember due to a longstanding (but intermittent) bug in the website it's best to be logged out when you enter the promo code and then log in again further along in the process.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Do you have any idea how long the offer will be running for? I'll try again, thanks, but I haven't succeeded beyond my first booking!

SaveECRewards

I tried booking Doncaster last night but the promo code was saying it expired. I even tried using the email address from the Nectar account that was targeted and it said the same thing. The Nectar app on that account is still showing the offer as live but even if I follow the links directly the Doncaster offer is not loading.

The Leeds offer was working fine.

As the conditions say the closing date is the 23rd I hope this is just a glitch.

Interestingly the Nectar account I'm using to keep an eye on offers is really pushing me to book with Virgin trains. 250 points if I make my first west coast booking, 500 points for the next one and triple points on both west and east coast. Of course, still completely pathetic compared to what we had with EC Rewards so I won't add a Nectar number to my VTEC or VTWC account.
The Doncaster offer is back working again!

tannedfrog

What with free wifi, Power Hour to Doncaster, and this; VTEC is really powering ahead of the competition on this route and the Midland Mainline.

I booked one of these fares and, although it is changeable before departure, the computer decides that you lose the 50% discount if you do (ie you can change to an ordinary Advance fare only)!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
What with free wifi, Power Hour to Doncaster, and this; VTEC is really powering ahead of the competition on this route and the Midland Mainline.

I disagree - VTEC seem to be obsessed with thinking that London is the only place anyone wants to travel to. If for example you want to go to Newcastle or Edinburgh, cheap fares are few and far between.

tannedfrog

I disagree - VTEC seem to be obsessed with thinking that London is the only place anyone wants to travel to. If for example you want to go to Newcastle or Edinburgh, cheap fares are few and far between.
True, but I guess they are responding to the competition rather than being altruistic. Between London and South Yorkshire, many options:

- VTEC
- Hull Trains
- Grand Central
- EMT
- LM via Tamworth
- Megatrain (Sheffield)
- Megabus+ (Doncaster)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I've successfully managed to book more tickets under this offer :D

Status