• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 out of pad, 31 to skeg for charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGVDUDE

With a 97 thrown in too

I knew of this tour in the pipeline, but a friend sent me this earlier to conform:

14th July

I have been advised by the promoter that this train is a goer! it will be just a single Class 50 as opposed to a pair...

The full itinerary is:

50 (either 50044 or 50049) Padd-Derby via Oxford, Coventry and Sutton Park
31 + 97 Derby to Skegness
50 Skegness-Lincoln-Doncaster
31/97 Doncaster-Sheffield-Toton-Derby
50 Derby-Sutton Coldfield-Coventry-padd

Pu/sds to be confirmed but should include Padd (circa 0600/2330) Reading, Oxford, Coventry and Birmingham International. Other pick ups may/will/should be included - i'll update when the exact plan is confirmed

Fares to be confirmed but around £65 Standard class. there should be First Class as well, but no dining option. A buffet will be provided.

A stop at Wainfleet on the outward and return is being looked at. Break in skegness circa 3 hours.

Pathfinder Tours will be handing the bookings.

Please support this train, it is for a good cause!

It's a shame I'm on holiday!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drimnagh Road

I wonder whether it would have been a better idea just to have a more straight forward run with say a 50 to somewhere in the West Country? Genuine route for that type of engine, you'd also have less costs due to not having to hire the NR machines, and also Skegness is too much of a stagger hauled.

garnon

Caped due to rising costs from a stock operator who obviously doesn't know what charity is!

James.

Could a TOC offer a couple of units (gratis) that the locos attach onto the front ? Something like last weekend's 317's to York, but loco hauled ?

I'm guessing power supply and coupling might be an issue. Just a thought?

NSEFAN

Established Member
Older EMUs were often designed to be readily loco hauled, but modern units need a barrier vehicle to convert loco power and braking into something the unit can use. I'm not sure these can provide power for train lighting, heating etc though.

Either way, I imagine most passengers on the tour would prefer to travel in "real" carriages!

Status
Not open for further replies.