• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 Wagon Freight Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Although mentioned elsewhere, this spectacular sight is to be a one-off working on the Great Central Railway on Saturday June 17th to celebrate 50 years of running trains in preservation.
This should excite all who remember what BR was like in the 50's and 60's when such sights were everyday events all over the country.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
To make it look more authentic, it'd be great if there was a brakevan only at the rear.

This requires shunting to return, but that adds interest even though it takes time.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I agree about only the one brakevan...but that does require more time and siding space, both of which will be in short supply on a very busy timetable day.
However we will have to wait and see what the GCR ops team can do!

We came, we saw, the GCR delivered!
The 9F, Tanks, Mixed, Minerals and Vans....trundling through Quorn station with crowds lining the platform and all along the yard fence.
A worthy celebration of 50 years of preservation effort by so many people.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We came, we saw, the GCR delivered!
The 9F, Tanks, Mixed, Minerals and Vans....trundling through Quorn station with crowds lining the platform and all along the yard fence.
A worthy celebration of 50 years of preservation effort by so many people.

Fantastic stuff Phil. Well done to everyone involved.

SLC001

We used to live near to Rothley and often visited the GCR and have a great affection for it. We haven't been back for many years and it has changed enormously looking at the pictures and videos and by all accounts for the better. I do hope that the efforts this weekend are rewarded - historical railways are struggling at present and need support. Well done to everyone involved.

railfan99

Established Member
historical railways are struggling at present and need support.

I am far away, and we lack information on this forum as to how UK heritage railways in the UK are doing on 'normal' operating days, but recently we've had reports of good to excellent numbers on four railways' Galas, with this GCR one making five.

So all is not lost. Later this year I'll be adding a grand total of one more 'rover' sold to several more of yours. Insubstantial alone, but if many of us do it, these railways benefit.

JKF

Freight looks great, nice to see so many box vans in working order, they’re a frequent ‘scrap line’ component at many railways or used in small demonstration mixed freights, but that’s a decent rake right there by themselves. The GCR is doing sterling work in preserving freight history.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Freight looks great, nice to see so many box vans in working order, they’re a frequent ‘scrap line’ component at many railways or used in small demonstration mixed freights, but that’s a decent rake right there by themselves. The GCR is doing sterling work in preserving freight history.
Hi JKF
The GCR now has effectively 5 operating rakes of freight vehicles - approx 23 16T Minerals (Windcutters), 18 Vans, 10 Tankers, 18 Mixed and 12 Engineers. In total I believe there are about 130 wagons on the line of which roughly 80 are "in ticket" now.
This must be the best collection in the country.

railfan99

Established Member
The GCR now has effectively 5 operating rakes of freight vehicles - approx 23 16T Minerals (Windcutters), 18 Vans, 10 Tankers, 18 Mixed and 12 Engineers. In total I believe there are about 130 wagons on the line of which roughly 80 are "in ticket" now. This must be the best collection in the country.

Outstanding: huge thanks to you and fellow dedicated volunteers, and like others I enjoy the 'box vans'. Evocative.

In my state, similar were called 'louvre vans' as to aid in air circulation, many had those. We also had 'iced vans' for cooled products. Temperatures even in my southern state in summer are a lot higher than most of the UK experiences, and we've more such days, so icing vans was important.

In a few years (or before!) if GCR connects 'two halves', it'll be one of the better preserved lines in the world.

Even the GCR's range of Edmondson tickets is stunning, perhaps unparallelled worldwide on a heritage railway. If others haven't travelled on GCR, why not do so? Easy walk from the mainline station.

Status
Not open for further replies.