• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507 unit rescue operation at Kirkby following the derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterStoba

Footage released by Network Rail of the recovery (via RAIL magazine)

Footage released by Network Rail showing ROG 37800 rescuing Merseyrail 507006 at Kirkby following last weekend's accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notlob.divad

Established Member
Footage released by Network Rail of the recovery (via RAIL magazine)

I think the title of that is a little overly optimistic. It appears to be a video of 37800 trying to rescue 507006.

I am not saying it did not suceed (eventually) but it certaily doesn't in the duration of that video.

_toommm_

Established Member
I think the title of that is a little overly optimistic. It appears to be a video of 37800 trying to rescue 507006.

I am not saying it did not suceed (eventually) but it certaily doesn't in the duration of that video.

I’m guessing they’re just dragging some of it out from under the bridge. There’s no schedule for it to be moved away from Kirkby that I’ve seen yet.

Vespa

Established Member
I winged past to have a look, its only moved back marginally, the wheels are still bogged down in the gravel.

The station yard is full of Network rail, DB, Stadler vans, the tracks are missing from under the loco, without a crane, they're really up against it.

Not the usual way to recover a derailed train! Presumably the embankment down from the car park and the old road bridge mean they can't get a crane into a useful position or the position of the front car right under the bridge means a crane can't do a lot yet. Send for a few more 37s and deafen most of Kirkby!

Vespa

Established Member
Not the usual way to recover a derailed train! Presumably the embankment down from the car park and the old road bridge mean they can't get a crane into a useful position or the position of the front car right under the bridge means a crane can't do a lot yet. Send for a few more 37s and deafen most of Kirkby!
Or create a temporary track underneath to mount it on the network rail own track.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation

Why not send something with a lot more poke?

dgl

Established Member
Imagine if there was the clearance, coupling and electrical supply for a Eurotunnel class 9, wouldn't be stuck there anymore!
The video shown of the "recovery" looks like it should be from TTTE, with Thomas trying to get the train going and the 508 being troublesome trucks!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Network Rail should be ashamed to show that video, just needs to be dated 1st April to finish it off.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It’s a fairly standard methodology to rerail something that that has come off in this type of incident.

I remember seeing a pic in a Modern Railways from the 70s of rerailing a loco that had gone down a bank somewhere (no idea where) on a 4 track section. It was towed back up, and onto the rails, by a lash up of 37s (I think) positioned on all 4 lines.

N95JPl

They’ve actually managed to move it a considerable amount since that video was taken!
Should be on the rails again at some point tomorrow?
Seems as though they’re probably going to move it Thursday night after traffic if that’s the case, if it’s actually safe to move, how would they go about testing that?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
They’ve actually managed to move it a considerable amount since that video was taken!
Should be on the rails again at some point tomorrow?
Seems as though they’re probably going to move it Thursday night after traffic if that’s the case, if it’s actually safe to move, how would they go about testing that?

Would they just skate it to be safe?

dubscottie

It’s a fairly standard methodology to rerail something that that has come off in this type of incident.

I remember seeing a pic in a Modern Railways from the 70s of rerailing a loco that had gone down a bank somewhere (no idea where) on a 4 track section. It was towed back up, and onto the rails, by a lash up of 37s (I think) positioned on all 4 lines.
There was a derailed 66 in Europe that ended up on its side under a bridge..
Solution? Borrow a tank from the army to drag it out.

notlob.divad

Established Member
You’d have assumed so, but that’s a pretty long way to run under skates, walking pace?
Didn't they just skate a Pendolino from Lockerbie to Glasgow. If they can do that, Kirkby to Kirkdale seems well within scope

On Moderation
You’d have assumed so, but that’s a pretty long way to run under skates, walking pace?
That’s assuming that the bogies on the leading vehicle are in a good enough condition to skate.

507 001

Established Member
I visited around 1700-1800 today. Recovery seemed to be progressing fairly well with the TSO and rear bogie of the DMS retailed by that point.
What was particularly striking is just how much damage there is to the DMS, the entire second man’s side is caved in, far worse than the damage to 508101 was for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.