• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Merseyrail days out

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The sign is either lazy or nostalgic. Lazy because they couldn't be bothered to take it down, nostalgic because they decided to keep it up for years to come :lol:. Another good read there, although I don't think I'd have returned to Hall Road with many more shacks to get on Merseyrail!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
A bit off subject but what have you called your little girl mate? Hope all is well with you family and you get the odd 5 minutes to keep us updated with your travels.

Established Member
Hi guys,

I apologise for the lack of reports lately, I'm hoping to get my latest one typed up as soon as possible! :)

Established Member
Here we go all, sorry it's only a few weeks late!

Meeting A New Friend

A month or so ago, AndrewR232 and I had a chat over private message and soon after we decided to meet up on my home turf. It was touch and go if I’d be able to keep to the date with my daughter due on the 24th, but thankfully, she arrived on her due date and I was able to meet Andrew on the 25th.

I get my SaveAway and head down into the city centre, with the plan to visit a required station before Andrew’s arrival at around 11:30. Deciding on my chosen station, I head over to Liverpool Central to get the 10:08 to Southport. I made a quick visit to PoundBakery beforehand to get myself some much needed supplies, two sausage rolls and a bottle of Pepsi.

Needless to say, the sausage rolls went down very well. I took 507026 "Councillor George Howard" up to Hightown, where I take a few walks up and down the platform to pass the time. During my wait, I happened to come across a robin which was looking around the platform. I like birds, and I have to admit seeing the robin gave me a smile. I wonder where he is now?

On my way back to Liverpool Central, it’s 507006 doing the honours. I head over to Lime Street to meet with Andrew, before we head over to Liverpool Central to get the 11:55 up to Ormskirk. After a short wait, we board 508110 which we take up to Aughton Park. I’ve got to say, this is a very difficult station to navigate! With most Merseyrail stations, it’s easy to switch between platforms, but with this one we have a very long climb up to the bridge that towers over the track, and then another long descent back down on the other side.

We leave Aughton Park at 12:38, alighting 508110 (again) at Old Roan. From here we went up to Maghull, with 508115 operating this short hop back up the line. At least one thing was on our side, the weather was lovely, albeit a little on the chilly side. Nevertheless, it had been a productive day so far for visiting required stations for us both. From Maghull, we took 508104 on the 13:15 back to Liverpool Central, where Andrew’s pre-prepared plan meant we would need to take the short walk over to Liverpool Lime Street. I’m all too happy to do this, because I get a ride on the 319s again as well as getting a required station or two. Result!

The 14:00 to Wigan North Western was our required train, and we took 319383 from Lime Street to Roby. Here, I’m amused to see one of the CCTV notices still has the logo from the old franchise, but I took a photograph for nostalgia’s sake if nothing else. From Roby, we took a short ride on 319362 “Northern Powerhouse” down to Broad Green. I’ve got to admit, it wasn’t the most exciting station I’ve visited, but at least now I won’t have to worry about returning any time soon. At 14:39, we depart Broad Green on 319364, taking this all the way back to Lime Street.

Once we’re back at Lime Street, Andrew’s plan means we take our second walk of the day over to Liverpool Central. We make it in time, and we’re soon on our way up towards Southport, with this journey being my second ride of the day on 507026 "Councillor George Howard". We take this as far as Ainsdale, where Andrew makes a point that our service back towards Liverpool again should be a six car service. He was spot on, as a six car train formed of 507006 and partner 507016 "Merseyrail - Celebrating the first ten years 2003-2013" arrived shortly afterwards. This is by far our longest journey of the day, as we take this service all the way down to Liverpool South Parkway. The journey does get busy, but it soon passes.

Once we’re at South Parkway, we have a short wait to get our next and final train of the day together. We head down to Platform 4 one our train arrives, the 17:04 to Preston. This was another lightly loaded service (as usual in my experience), but I was very pleased to see it was my favourite Class 319 unit, 319363, doing the honours on this journey. We arrived at Lime Street for the second time that day on time, and I opted to stay on the train until just before its scheduled departure to have a chat with Andrew for a bit longer. With the pre departure announcement made, I bid farewell to Andrew and made my way home, sad that a great day had ended, but happy that I’d made a new friend and had an extremely productive and enjoyable day out.

I’d like to thank Andrew for his company and for his excellent journey plan which went extremely well indeed. Hope to see you soon mate! :)

fowler9

Established Member
Good day out mate, nice to see you caught my favourite ride to Lime Street from Parkway on the Preston Service. It is like having a private train at any time of the day.

djpontrack

Well done on your trip mate. You done 2 stations that I still need, Aughton Park and Old Roan. There is an old sign on the wall at Roby station that has Lancashire County Council at the bottom so I think that means it's pre 1974.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Always a good read mate. Good to see you get out and about too after your new arrival.

Established Member
Good day out mate, nice to see you caught my favourite ride to Lime Street from Parkway on the Preston Service. It is like having a private train at any time of the day.

It was mate. I think other than myself and Andrew, there was only one other passenger on board. It's still a useful service, and it makes a nice change the other choices available from South Parkway.

Well done on your trip mate. You done 2 stations that I still need, Aughton Park and Old Roan. There is an old sign on the wall at Roby station that has Lancashire County Council at the bottom so I think that means it's pre 1974.

Thanks mate, although I can't take all the credit, Andrew did all the hard work with his excellent itinerary. :)

I'll have to go and have a look at that now you've mentioned it, although I'm not sure when that'll be now I haven't got much planned locally for the foreseeable future.

Always a good read mate. Good to see you get out and about too after your new arrival.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. I know I won't be getting out very much for a while, but I don't mind. I guess having less frequent days out will give me something to look forward to. :)

An enjoyable report about an enjoyable day! :D

Glad you enjoyed it mate, I had a great time. :)

Sounds like an awesome day! I swear a couple of those 319s are required here...

Thanks mate. Other than two or three of the 319/4s due to enter service after their refurbishment and bi-mode conversion, I only need two EMUs in the whole Northern fleet. I'm amazed, to be honest!

Sounded like a good day :)

Congrats on the new arrival as well

Glad you enjoyed the read mate.

Thanks very much, she had her first ride on a train today, one of which was the magnificent "Tornado"! :)

fowler9

Established Member
How was the trip behind Toernado mate? I saw a news report interviewing someone on the train who was on their for Valentines Day so you weren't the only one. Hope you all enjoyed it. Love to all.

Established Member
If you fancy meeting up over a Saveaway, feel free to drop me a PM-I do them quite a bit with the whole 16-18 thing!

Established Member
How was the trip behind Toernado mate? I saw a news report interviewing someone on the train who was on their for Valentines Day so you weren't the only one. Hope you all enjoyed it. Love to all.

It was great mate, I don't think any other rail journey I've taken beats it. It was actually my partner's idea to go on them for Valentine's Day, but it was definitely well worth the money.

Thanks mate, all the best to you and yours as well. :)

If you fancy meeting up over a Saveaway, feel free to drop me a PM-I do them quite a bit with the whole 16-18 thing!

Sure, sounds like a plan to me. I'm not sure when I'll be doing one next, but I'll more than likely get myself a SaveAway early next month. It'll more than likely be a Friday, though. :)

Sounds like another good time, with a few more shacks in the book!

It was, thanks mate. :)

Established Member
Again, I can only apologise for the delay in getting this report typed up!

On a mission

This Thursday was the last session of my course, so I was planning on making the most of it. I set off a bit earlier than I usually would, and today’s journey into the city centre was aboard Arriva North West’s 4664 (SK15 GZA). I arrived in the city centre with plenty of time to spare, so I went over to Poundbakery to get myself something to eat and a drink for the day, before heading over to Liverpool Lime Street to catch the 10:55 Manchester Oxford Road stopper service.

The first thing I noticed when I boarded this unit was the new and much larger accessible toilet module, as well as the new passenger information system, but other than that nothing else had changed about 156472’s interior. Looking at the PIS system a few times during the journey, it just said “Welcome aboard this Class 156”. It was an uneventful ride through to Hunts Cross, but an enjoyable one none the less. After a brief wait, my next train arrived and I boarded 508130 ahead of our departure at 11:21. This time, I travel as far as Hillside, before crossing over to the southbound platform and boarding 508108 upon its arrival. To avoid potentially missing my connection to Fazakerley, I decided to alight 508108 at Sandhills, just to be on the safe side and give myself a bit of a cushion.

At 12:56, my train to Fazakerley departs, which was 507027. This was another uneventful journey, and I alight at my destination station and take the short walk to the last session of my course. On the way, I think about how much I’ve enjoyed it and how much I’ll miss it as well.

After a spirited run to get the 15:16 from Fazakerley, I made it with a minute or so to spare. I take 507020 as far as Sandhills, where I alight and board the 15:30 northbound train, operated by 507011. The least said about this journey the better, it wasn’t very enjoyable but at least it meant I was able to tick off Birkdale, and finally clear the Southport branch of the Northern Line for coverage and stations.

I crossed over to the other platform via the subway under the railway line, and on the other side I found another Merseytravel sign which was in very good condition, so I made sure to take a photograph of it before heading into the waiting room for my train back towards Liverpool. A couple of minutes before it was due to arrive, I went back outside to enjoy some fresh air and take a stroll up and down the platform. A six car train arrived to operate the 16:17 to Hunts Cross, 507007 partnered with 507025. I went for 507007 and got myself comfortable for the journey back to Sandhills to get my next connection.

This journey passed without anything interesting happening, and I left the train at Sandhills to catch the 17:03 to Ormskirk. This was operated by an extremely crowded 508110, which really should have been partnered with another unit in my view. I manage to get aboard and find a space to stand, but after what feels like an age, I alighted at Town Green, my last Northern Line station required for a visit. I crossed over to the other platform to get the next southbound train, which was operated by a much less crowded 508140. I decided to have a go at the crossword puzzle in my copy of the Metro to pass the time, and this has the desired effect, as the journey back to Liverpool Central passes quickly.

I decided to get myself down to Liverpool South Parkway to see if I could get a winner 185 or 350, so I boarded the very crowded 508120 on the 17:59 to Hunts Cross. After alighting at South Parkway, it didn’t appear any of my preferred services would be arriving any time soon, so I decided to wait for the Northern stopper service instead. This was operated by 142047 leading partner 150214, and there was no way I was going on the 150! I quite enjoyed my ride on 142047, which apart from the usual wheel flange noises was probably the most relaxing journey of the day!

After alighting at Lime Street, I decided it was time to head home, so I went over to Queen Square Bus Station where I boarded Arriva North West’s 4592 (SL64 JDX) to take me home.

So, that’s the Northern Line finally cleared! There probably won’t be any reports from Merseyrail from me for a while as I’m waiting for the track renewal scheme to be completed, because it’ll be much easier to travel over to the Wirral and by that time, daylight hours will longer than they are now.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like another good little session - congrats on clearing the Northern line shacks! When the tunnel reopens you'll need to set aside a day and get all of your required Merseyrail shacks in that one day - It's easily doable.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good work 021. How many stations in the area have you got left to clear?

djpontrack

Well done clearing the Merseyrail Northern Line shacks mate. I really need to make the effort and visit Merseyside soon. I've had all the 507/8s and done all the passenger lines but I still need some shacks.

Established Member
Sounds like another good little session - congrats on clearing the Northern line shacks! When the tunnel reopens you'll need to set aside a day and get all of your required Merseyrail shacks in that one day - It's easily doable.

That's the plan mate, looking at setting aside a Friday or Saturday in late June to get them done. :)

What do you have left on the Wirral?

West Kirby branch: Moreton, Meols, Manor Road and Hoylake.
New Brighton branch: Birkenhead Park, Wallasey Village and Wallasey Grove Road.
Chester branch: Birkenhead Central, Green Lane, Port Sunlight, Spital, Bromborough Rake, Eastham Rake, Capenhurst and Bache.
Ellesmere Port branch: Little Sutton and Overpool.

Congratulations on clearing the Northern lines of MerseyRail for shacks, nearly in the 100% Cleared Club!

Thanks mate, it felt good to get the last few in the bag I'll admit!

Congratulations on clearing the Northern line for shacks. Not too much left now!

Thanks mate. :)

Good work 021. How many stations in the area have you got left to clear?

On Merseyrail, seventeen, I haven't counted the stations I need to visit outside of the Merseyrail network yet though. It isn't that many though. :)

Good work 021 on clearing the merseyrail Northern line :)

Well done clearing the Merseyrail Northern Line shacks mate. I really need to make the effort and visit Merseyside soon. I've had all the 507/8s and done all the passenger lines but I still need some shacks.

Thanks mate, if you're ever down this way, give me a shout. :)

fowler9

Established Member
That's the plan mate, looking at setting aside a Friday or Saturday in late June to get them done. :)

West Kirby branch: Moreton, Meols, Manor Road and Hoylake.
New Brighton branch: Birkenhead Park, Wallasey Village and Wallasey Grove Road.
Chester branch: Birkenhead Central, Green Lane, Port Sunlight, Spital, Bromborough Rake, Eastham Rake, Capenhurst and Bache.
Ellesmere Port branch: Little Sutton and Overpool.

Thanks mate, it felt good to get the last few in the bag I'll admit!

On Merseyrail, seventeen, I haven't counted the stations I need to visit outside of the Merseyrail network yet though. It isn't that many though. :)

Thanks mate, if you're ever down this way, give me a shout. :)

Shame, if I had known and if you were free you could have cleared the West Kirby branch on Friday with us, only station we didn't use out of those four was Moreton. We went to a few pubs finishing up in The Railway by Meols to watch Chester v Tranmere (One of the lads is a Tranmere fan).

Established Member
Shame, if I had known and if you were free you could have cleared the West Kirby branch on Friday with us, only station we didn't use out of those four was Moreton. We went to a few pubs finishing up in The Railway by Meols to watch Chester v Tranmere (One of the lads is a Tranmere fan).

Ah, not to worry mate. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.