• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Merseyrail days out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all,

I realised last night after reading Tech's trip report of his recent visit to Merseyside just how much of the Merseyrail fleet I need to clear for haulage (as of yesterday I needed 19 Class 507s and 15 Class 508/1s, which isn't great!), so last night I decided to make a start on it. I decided to use my unexpected free afternoon today to get started, and I plan to share my first trip report with you all in the next couple of days once I've found some time to write it up!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
507021’s Merseyrail days out

Well here it is, my first Railforums trip report!

After being given a surprise early finish, I decided that as it was around lunchtime I would get myself a SaveAway and make a start on clearing some of Merseyrail’s fleet for haulage. After a quick stop at home, I headed into the city centre and another quick stop to buy a birthday card, I was on my way to Lime Street station. Prior to starting my afternoon out, I needed 20 Class 507s and 15 Class 508/1s, which considering where I live is quite a surprise. My partner was arriving from Glasgow (via Preston) that evening, so with that in mind, I set off.

As I hadn't been to Chester by rail for a short while, I decided to head there first. This proved to be a good decision as the first unit of the day was winner 508111 “The Beatles”, which was operating the 12:43 from Lime Street to Chester. On the way there, I had my ticket checked by the guard and then by RPIs who boarded about 5 or 10 minutes later, (who to be fair didn't know that they’d already been done, so they stopped checking after confirming they’d already been checked with myself and another passenger) although this didn't bother me very much as it’s always reassuring to see a staff presence. One thing I was pleased to see was both the guard and the RPI who checked my smartcard had a smartphone to check them, rather than inspecting the receipt. I got speaking to a nice gentleman from Wavertree during the journey who alighted at Bache, which is always nice as I like to chat to or help people while I'm out and about if I can.

Once in Chester, I decided to go and have a walk around outside the station to wait for my train back to Liverpool Lime Street. Dud 508115 did the honours, and a quiet and uneventful journey soon passed once I’d decided what I was going to do next. Once at Lime Street, I decided to go and grab myself a bite to eat from the nearest bakery as I had a short wait for my next train which was up to St Helens Central, having decided to get as many Northern Rail journeys as I could before the franchise operator changes. After getting myself a late lunch, the time soon passed and I was on my way to St Helens Central on the 15:00 on board dud 319380, one of my lesser favourites of the Northern Class 319 fleet because of its rather noisy (compared to the others anyway!) power car. On the way there, I noticed at a couple of stations some Northern Rail logos/branding were still visible (Huyton was one, can't remember the other one), much to my surprise.

After a half an hour wait at St Helens Central I was pleased to see my favourite Northern 319, 319363, arrive to take me back to Liverpool Lime Street. There was a short delay departing Roby to allow TPE's 185107 past, although as it was a nice and quiet journey, it didn't bother me. I decided to head up to Southport next, so to do that I needed to get to Liverpool Central first. The 16:35 to Ellesmere Port produced winner 507009 for the short hop to Central, which after another wait was followed by another winner in the form of 507029 (sorry Tech!) on the 16:53 from Central to Southport. I was surprised a service so close to peak hour was only a three car formation, but it wasn't as busy as I thought it’d be, with passengers only having to stand due to a lack of seats from Sandhills rather than Central. Once at Southport, I decide to get the 17:43 back to Liverpool Central, on 508128, which I wasn't sure of at the time but upon getting home I was happy to confirm it was another winner.

Back at Central, I opt to take a trip back over to the Wirral Peninsula to New Brighton. Dud 507005 arrived on the 18:35, and after a short walk around New Brighton (which I thought was really pleasant and peaceful at night) I catch the 19:23 back to Liverpool Central and rejoin 507005 for the journey, as I didn't want to wait another half an hour until 19:53 to see what the next unit would be. As I still had a bit of time to before meeting my partner at Lime Street, I decided to board winner 508131 on a short trip from Liverpool Central down to Hunts Cross. Considering the frequency was every fifteen minutes, I decided to alight 508131 and wait for the 20:36 back up to Liverpool Central.

This proved to be a good choice, as winner 507014 was the reward for my patience. I decide to try and get two more winner units as I still had a bit of time left before my partner’s train was due to arrive at Lime Street from Preston at 21:26. Alighting 507014 at Central, I quickly head down to the Wirral Line platform and after a short wait, I catch dud 508134 on the 21:00 to Ellesmere Port over to James Street. For my final train of the day, I let dud 508103 go and five minutes later my patience was rewarded, with winner 508140 arriving on the 21:14 to New Brighton on another short hop to Lime Street, arriving just over ten minutes before my partner arrives from Preston a couple of minutes late. We then decide to head back to my house and help ourselves to a bowl of stew each before watching a bit of TV and heading to bed!

Winner 507s: 3 (17 now required)
Winner 508s: 4 (11 now required)
Mileage: 127 miles, 16 chains.

I do plan on heading out again on Merseyrail soon, hopefully in the next couple of weeks if I get the time.

Thanks for reading guys, any comments are more than welcome.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the trip reporters guild! :D

An excellent read for your first one, nice and easy to follow. Jammy so and so for getting 507029, not at all jealous ;)

I look forward to more from you in the coming weeks and months, still surprised how much on MerseyRail you need!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
An excellent first trip report! It is surprising how much mileage you can accumulate on a saveaway!

trainophile

Established Member
I enjoyed reading that report, all the more once I'd worked out what a dud or a winner meant! :lol:

However I am surprised to learn that Saveaways can be used on Northern Trains - all this time and I never knew that :oops: . I'd like more info on that, i.e. what the boundaries are. However I appreciate that it might not be relevant for much longer anyway.

Established Member
I enjoyed reading that report, all the more once I'd worked out what a dud or a winner meant! :lol:

However I am surprised to learn that Saveaways can be used on Northern Trains - all this time and I never knew that :oops: . I'd like more info on that, i.e. what the boundaries are. However I appreciate that it might not be relevant for much longer anyway.

Thanks, much appreciated! :)

SaveAways can be used on any form of transport with any company as long as it's within the PTE area and that you have the correct type of SaveAway for that particular zone. So say for example if you wanted to go from Lime Street to South Parkway on the train (Area C or All Zone covers this journey), SaveAways are valid on any East Midlands Trains, Northern Rail or First TransPennine Express services between those two stations.

I've gone to Earlestown before on an All Zone SaveAway and then bought a Wayfarer to continue on to Manchester from there before, which is another example of just how far you can go on a SaveAway. You can go to Ormskirk, Chester and Ellesmere Port on a SaveAway, but by rail only.

Hope this helps anyway, if you need any more advice with SaveAways, I'll do my best advise you further. :)

Established Member
507021 meets Tech!

Before starting this report properly, I managed to get winner 507023 "Operations Inspector Stuart Mason" on one-off a trip over to New Brighton last week, with the unit on the outbound journey being a dud. So before the start of this day out, I needed sixteen Class 507s and ten Class 508s.

After arranging to meet up with Tech for his mission to get 507029 for haulage, I couldn't wait for the day to arrive where I'd finally get to meet another member of the forum. When it finally arrived, I was quickly out of bed and after a quick wash and a cup of tea, I was on my way to our agreed meeting point at Liverpool Lime Street. After a quick detour to get some food and buy my SaveAway, we met up as planned and grabbed a Costa (large hot chocolate for me!) before setting off for the day.

A dilemma immediately came up when 319378 (needed by Tech) appeared and 142057 (needed by myself) were both sat ready for their respective departures. A compromise was quickly reached, so we boarded the earlier departing 319378 (departed at 09:47 for Warrington Bank Quay) and rode that to Edge Hill, before alighting and boarding winner (for me) 142057 (coupled to dud for both 142012) a few minutes later. After we sat down on 142057, Lord Tech pointed out that it was my fiftieth Class 142 for haulage (confirmed after checking my records at home), not bad considering how long I've been recording! After leaving 142057 at South Parkway, we decide to head to Hunts Cross in the hope that we will catch the elusive (well, not for me anyway!) 507029. A six car set led by winner 507006 takes us to Hunts Cross, where after alighting I realise that the unit coupled to 507006 would be another winner for me, so we opt to board 508104 and head to Liverpool Central on the 10:33 from Hunts Cross.

After 507029 proved to remain elusive for Tech, we decide to head back down to Hunts Cross again, producing winner (for me) 508112, followed by another winner in the form of 507002 to Sandhills on the 12:06. After deciding what to do next, we decide to go to get Rainford for Tech to clear, so we board yet another winner for me 507016 "Merseyrail - celebrating the first ten years 2002-2013" (the longest name I've ever seen on a train that's for sure) to Rice Lane, where Tech gets some lunch from the McDonalds and I ate the pork pie that I bought in the morning. After that we headed up to Kirkby on winner for me 507013 (which made it seven winners in a row for me), where after a short wait we joined dud for me 142013 to Rainford on the 13:44 to Blackburn. After another short wait in Rainford we boarded winner for me 156464, which was by a country mile our favourite unit of the day, and definitely my favourite Northern (getting the hang of it already!) diesel multiple unit so far without any shadow of a doubt. It performed absolutely faultlessly, and the journey went far too quickly for our liking, especially as dud 507016 was waiting to take us to Sandhills to decide our next move. 156464 was that good, I decided to take a leaf out of Tech's book with his "Tech's Seal of Approval" and give it my own "021's Thumbs Up", the first unit to get one.

After letting a few units go, 508139 took us to Kirkdale. At the time, I thought it was a winner but after getting home and checking my other records it turns out I forgot to cross it off my list, so it was a dud after all. Never mind though, as winner for me 508123 produced to take us to Moorfields, after deciding to head back to Lime Street again, we board dud (for both!) 508131.

After deciding to see what was on the 15:27 Manchester Oxford Road stopper (before that however, we enjoyed a free sample of Crabbies which was really nice) I saw 142047 and 156483 which were both units I needed, however the decision was made for us as after going up to the platform Lord Tech spotted that they weren't coupled up (I was quite relieved, as I genuinely couldn't decide!), so we boarded winner (for me) 156483 and alighted at South Parkway (again!). We then decided to return to Lime Street and go to a Wetherspoons for a beer, and winner for me 185137 produces. One thing of note of this journey is that after using the toilet and washing my hands, I discovered that the hand dryer wasn't working. Not to worry, as we’re soon back at Lime Street and we headed to the Richard John Blackler. Lord Tech got himself a half pint of a beer I can't remember the name of, and I got myself a very refreshing half pint of Coors, which was much needed!

After discovering 507029 was definitely going to produce, and we still had time to make it before Lord Tech had to head home, we walked to Liverpool Central after finishing our half pints and patiently wait for 507029’s arrival. After a short wait, it produced as part of a six car formation (with 507006 at the front) on the slightly delayed 16:42 to Hunts Cross. Tech couldn't contain his excitement, but I think he'll agree it was definitely worth waiting for it and even though it was a dud for me, it was worth another ride in this case. It was our last train of the day, however it was certainly one to remember.

After parting company at Liverpool South Parkway (back here again!) I decided to go back to Lime Street and go on the Wirral Line to try and get a couple more winners before heading home. To take me there, 158806 and 158858 arrive from Norwich. I couldn't remember whether I needed any of these, so I took a gamble and board 158806 (it was the most unfamiliar out of the two), which proved to be the right choice as it was a winner, whereas 158858 was a dud. I decide to head to Chester again, seeing as last time I went it produced a winner on the way there. This again proved to be the case, with winner 507028 obliging on the 17:43. Upon getting there, I had a look around to see what was around. An unusual sight got my attention straight away, as I saw Coach A (just Coach A!) of 175003 coupled to 175004 (both of which are duds for me), which is certainly something I've never seen before.

Soon after, I watched Colas Rail's 60095 pass through the station hauling logs, and just a few minutes later 508115 arrived from Liverpool. Great, I get another winner, or not as it unfortunately turned out. After the passengers disembarked, 508115 left Chester empty. A shame, as the next train (the 19:00) was dud 508131 (again). Deciding to try and get another winner or two, I opted to alight at Hamilton Square and wait for something else to take me back to Liverpool. Dud 507010 arrived after I let another dud go, however I wasn't giving up there! I alighted 507010 at Moorfields and waited in the hope I’d get one last winner, and sure enough at 20:01 winner 507033 "Councillor Jack Spriggs" arrives from West Kirby as the reward for my patience, and it took me back around to James Street where I decided to head home, proving to be another good decision as I didn't have to wait for long for the bus!

One thing I'd like to add before I conclude this report is a big thanks to Tech for his excellent and much appreciated company, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day and I hope that we can meet again next time you’re on Merseyside!

Winner 507s: 6 (10 now required)
Winner 508s: 3 (7 now required)
Other winners: 5 (1x 142, 2x 156, 1x 158 and 1x 185)
Mileage: 114 miles, 2 chains.

Once again, thanks for reading. I'm away for my birthday this weekend, but hopefully I'll be back out trying to get some more Merseyrail (and possibly Northern) units in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Two things to add:

My beer was The Afanc from The Celt Experience (never heard of them before!)

It was Rainford not Rainhill we went to ;)

An excellent read, glad to see you got a good little haul after I went home! Thanks for your excellent company too, it was a pleasure to meet you! Hope you have a good birthday, and if I am ever back on Merseyside (probably not for ages to be honest) then I'm more than happy to meet up again!

Established Member
Two things to add:

My beer was The Afanc from The Celt Experience (never heard of them before!)

It was Rainford not Rainhill we went to ;)

An excellent read, glad to see you got a good little haul after I went home! Thanks for your excellent company too, it was a pleasure to meet you! Hope you have a good birthday, and if I am ever back on Merseyside (probably not for ages to be honest) then I'm more than happy to meet up again!

I knew it was something like that, certainly one of the more unusually named beers I've come across, and like yourself I've never heard of The Celt Experience either. But going by what you thought of it, I don't think I'll be in a rush to try it any time soon.

Oh dear me I didn't even notice that, I think I should write the trip reports when I'm a bit less tired! I've changed it now, thanks for pointing it out.

I'm glad you enjoyed the read. I was pleased to get a few more in the evening, any extra winners of any class are always a welcome bonus even if I'm not necessarily looking for them on any particular day I'm out.

You're most welcome, whenever you do come up again (or I'm in your area) I'd be more than happy to meet up. Many thanks for the birthday wishes too, hopefully a few winner London Midland 350s (only 70 needed...!) produce on the way there and back!

A very good read! Lots of winners there! Enjoy your birthday too!

Thanks FQ, glad you enjoyed it.

Most certainly, fourteen is a record for me as it's certainly the first time I've reached double figures for winners in the same day. I would have been happy with half of that to be honest, fourteen is certainly more than I expected before we got started.

Many thanks for the birthday wishes, too.

alexf380

Established Member
Just discovered your thread, and you've had a couple of good, productive days out on home turf, it certainly must be said! Hope the winners keep on coming for you, and enjoy your birthday!

noddy1878

Established Member
Good reports there. I was trying to work out what Spoons you both went too. There is actually one on the concourse of the station now, the North Western Hall.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed, and I'm informed the ching is more significant than the one around the corner. My local Spoons is far cheaper than the Spoons we did, so I dread to think how much the Spoons on Lime Street charges!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
True, a pint of Three Hop in The Lichfield Vaults, Hereford is £3.90! I just wish Spoons was more consistant with their prices with even neighbouring towns, let alone the same city!

Established Member
Just discovered your thread, and you've had a couple of good, productive days out on home turf, it certainly must be said! Hope the winners keep on coming for you, and enjoy your birthday!

Thanks Alex, here's hoping! Despite doing well on home turf, the class I'm closest to clearing for haulage are the Class 322s, with one unit (322481) required. My target is to finish the 155s (two required), 314s (four required), 322s, 507s and 508s before the end of the year, given what's left on each it should be doable. Any other winners I get along the way will be a much welcomed bonus.

Thanks for the birthday wishes too.

Good reports there. I was trying to work out what Spoons you both went too. There is actually one on the concourse of the station now, the North Western Hall.

Thanks Noddy. The RJB is quite decent, although last time I went in there for a meal with some of my family they didn't have what my mother and grandmother initially ordered, but given that was the first time that happened in there it didn't bother us too much. I've not been in the North Western yet, but I'm led to believe (as Tech said) that it's dearer in that one than the RJB which is a 5 minute walk away.

noddy1878

Established Member
I find the price of a spoons does vary and does depend on what sort of area it is in. I've only been in the North Western once and I do believe it was more expensive (but I didn't buy the round!).

Established Member
A great read indeed, thanks for sharing. Nice to see you getting some winners on a regular basis too. I still need a boatload for sight in Merseyside nevermind just for haulage, so reading this just makes me wanna get back down there and get stuck in.
Thanks for the little Pearl of Widom, regarding being able to use other TOC's in the boundaries of the SaveWay, I too, thought it was just for MerseyRail.

Established Member
I find the price of a spoons does vary and does depend on what sort of area it is in. I've only been in the North Western once and I do believe it was more expensive (but I didn't buy the round!).

I've never been in the North Western, but as the RJB is cheaper and only a few minutes' walk away, I'd sooner go to the RJB. I've been to a few Wetherspoons branches across the UK and the prices did vary between each one, especially with the drinks.

A great read indeed, thanks for sharing. Nice to see you getting some winners on a regular basis too. I still need a boatload for sight in Merseyside nevermind just for haulage, so reading this just makes me wanna get back down there and get stuck in.
Thanks for the little Pearl of Widom, regarding being able to use other TOC's in the boundaries of the SaveWay, I too, thought it was just for MerseyRail.

Thanks 47403, glad you enjoyed it. I think it's down to luck at the moment, but the more I get the harder it'll be to get the rest of the 507s and 508s that I need for haulage. My namesake unit (which I have been on before, but I'm not counting it since I started my haulage records again in late 2013) seems to be evading me, although hopefully that'll change sooner rather than later.

No problem, I didn't know about it myself until about five years ago, it's certainly proved extremely useful to say the least. At least once I've completed Merseyrail for haulage, there'll still be plenty of options for me to get more winners within the SaveAway boundary.

Kristofferson

Great reads, and excellent taste in Costa and light lager!

Also, good to see an easy to understand winners/required count :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member
A most fruitful day on Merseyrail, I will get there this year, I swear it.

Established Member
Great reads, and excellent taste in Costa and light lager!

Also, good to see an easy to understand winners/required count :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it Kris.

I don't go to Costa very often (not in recent times anyway), but I thought I'd use some of the many points I'd accumulated on my Coffee Club card at long last. As for Coors, it's one of my favourite lagers (joint with Carlsberg, as I genuinely can't choose between the two of them) but again I don't really drink very often, especially that early. As it was a special occasion though, I thought I'd make an exception!

A most fruitful day on Merseyrail, I will get there this year, I swear it.

Most certainly, my best rail day out to date for winners. At the moment winners are still reasonably easy to get (17 out of 59 required), but as I get down to single figures it'll probably me take a while to get them. I'm confident I'll get the rest of the fleet for haulage before the end of the year though.

Last edited:

Established Member
507021’s Merseyrail Days Out

I've written this report in two parts as it's over two days, although the 2nd part is very small, read on and you'll find out why!

Part 1

As I’d been given my half day off last Friday I decided to try and get some more Merseyrail units for haulage rather than sit at home all day, seeing as for the most part it was a dry and reasonably warm day on Merseyside. Here’s what happened.

Well, as heading in the direction of Chester first seems to produce a winner for me, I decided to give that another try. It worked (again!) with winner 507011 departing on the 09:43 from Liverpool Lime Street, however this time I decide to go as far as Hooton instead to try and get something coming off the Ellesmere Port branch. After running to see what unit pulled in at the same time, I was glad after the doors were closed to see it was a unit I seem to get or see (508131) nearly every time I go out.

Dud 508134 was what I took back to Hamilton Square as I had planned to go to West Kirby for a change, having not been there so far this year. Dud 507018 took me to Bidston, as I decided I didn’t want to go all the way to West Kirby on a dud, and waited there for the unit coming the other way on the 11:21 to Central. This was a wise decision, as winner 507007 obliged and took me to Hamilton Square where I decided to alight and see if I could get any more winners, but nope, it was dud 508139 (yet again) so I decided that I wasn’t going to stay on the Wirral Line for a while and try the Northern Line, so I left 508139 at Central.

After deciding to get some lunch, I quickly went up to the Greggs and went down to the Northern Line platforms see what was on the 12:05 to Kirkby. I was pleased to see it was winner 508141, which took me to Sandhills where I decided to alight and wait to see if any more winners produced. Thirteen minutes after I arrived, 507026 “Councillor George Howard” took me back to Central. After another wait to see if a winner produced, in the form of 508120 which took me back up to Sandhills again. Winner 507031 arrived at 13:02 and I took a short trip up to Kirkdale, before deciding to return back to Central again.

Dud 507026 did the honours, and I waited at Central until winner 507012 arrived on the 13:24 to Southport, deciding to alight initially at Sandhills, but as I’d already been there more than once I changed my mind and went up to Seaforth and Litherland, the first time I’ve actually set foot on the platform there. I was going to wait and see what was after 507012, however after seeing a unit I needed at Bank Hall heading for Hunts Cross, I headed straight back to Central on dud 507001, but as I like that unit for a number of reasons I didn’t mind too much.

Once at Central, I waited patiently and one Southport train (a dud) left before the unit I spotted at Bank Hall arrives at 14:27, winner 507004 “Bob Paisley”. Deciding to go to another station I’ve not set foot in before, I took this one up to Bootle Oriel Road. A dud arrived and left before I waited another 15 minutes (leaving a couple of minutes late at 15:02) and taking dud 507012 back to Central to try and get a winner on the Wirral Line again. On the way there, we observed a minute’s silence at Bank Hall to commemorate the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, before continuing on to Central.

I ended up waiting for quite a while, but in the end my reward was winner 508125 on the 15:52 to Ellesmere Port which I took to Hamilton Square, returning to Liverpool and alighting at Moorfields on dud 508127. I decided to see if the 6-car working which leaves Central at 16:29 (and Moorfields at 16:25) had a winner, however it wasn’t to be as duds 507001 and 507004 arrived as a pair five minutes late. I decided to take 507004, seeing as I’ve had more rides on 507001. I decided to go down to Liverpool South Parkway, waiting for another day to get the remaining Merseyrail units I need for haulage.

Deciding I wanted to try and get some more diesel units for haulage, I waited for the 17:08 (slightly delayed, leaving South Parkway at 17:11) Northern service to Lime Street, and it turned out to be dud 150210. Despite it being a dud, it made a nice change.

Upon getting back to Lime Street, I saw that the delayed 17:25 service to Manchester Oxford Road (we left at 17:38) was sat on Platform 6, and as it was winner 156426, I couldn’t pass up a ride, so I went back to South Parkway again. After having a walk around South Parkway, the time soon passes and I board another Northern service back to Lime Street, again from Manchester Oxford Road. This time it was a Class 142 and Class 156 pair, and as 142003 was a dud and 156455 was a winner, it was an easy choice. After alighting at Lime Street, I decided to head home after a long day.

Winner 507s: 6 (4 now required)
Winner 508s: 3 (5 now required, typo on last report!)
Other winners: 2 (2x Class 156)
Mileage: 78 miles, 21 chains.

Part 2

On the Saturday I decided to get a few rides in on Northern’s Manchester Oxford Road stoppers before and after meeting up with a friend for the afternoon. As I went to and from Hough Green twice (doing nothing else, apart from sighting 08527 in Allerton depot in the morning), I won’t write a proper report of the day but I had the following:

Trip 1 (10:55 from LIV): 142056 coupled to winner 150276.
Trip 2 (11:24 from HGN): Winner 156424.
Trip 3 (17:55 from LIV): 150146 coupled 150210 (chose 150146 as I’d had 150210 the day before).
Trip 4 (18:28 from HGN): 156426 coupled to winner 150138.

Winners: 3 (2x Class 150, 1x Class 156)
Mileage: 42 miles, 25 chains.
Overall mileage: 120 miles, 46 chains.

As ever, thanks for reading. I'm not sure when my next day out on Merseyside will be at the moment, as I've got a few things planned over the next few weeks so I'm not sure when I'll be able to fit one in. Hopefully it won't be too long though!

Status
Not open for further replies.