• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

508212 to depart Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA4C

Although I cannot find a more specific instruction regarding the 73's (I imagine there could be one somewhere!) it probably is prudent to use two loco's as the class are infamous for overheating particularly if one loco is handling a heavy train. One example that springs to mind is when a 73 was used as a subsitute loco on a Cross Country service that was put on at Guildford, it was on fire by the time it got to Reading Spur Junction! So perhaps GB Railfreight took the decision to double up as if a failure occured they would have the delay bill to deal with. In addition to reduce the wear and tear on the loco's and as previous posts have stated to compensate for the 600hp individual loco power output double headed is no doubt a good idea!

I'd not disagree with any of that, but there is a difference between an company operational decision and an outright ban

Having said that, overheating should not cause a failure of an EDL, if properly maintained and all systems working correctly, as they were designed to cope with HWT

I've also never heard of one catching fire due to HWT

I have, however, had the fire bells / bottles go off because of it and the HWT protection process not operating as it should, but that is a different story

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Timings for 508212 movement on 14/08.........

7Y08
07.49 dep Eastleigh Works
08.42 arr Soton Western Docks

Formation 2x73+translator+508212+translator+2x73
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
73119, 141, 205 & 206 on hand at Eastleigh for tomorrows movement to Soton Docks

David Goddard

Established Member
I dont think so, as if it was to go for scrap then A - It would have probably been scrapped on site by Knights Rail themselves, and B - Why would it be going by rail to Soton Docks - Some of them arrived into the works by road, so i can't see any reason why this wouldnt...Somethings deffinatly up with this unit, so we shall see!

I wonder if it actually has anything to do with the reccent announcement by Angel Trains / Alstom & Bombardier, to carry out test bed work for potential EMU Life extention - These 508s could even end up in the Valleys for all we know!

Would it fit through the tunnels on the Isle of Wight? Just a guess!

GBRf 73110/141/205/6 at Eastleigh tonight.

As I stated at 16.36: 73119, 141, 205 & 206 on hand at Eastleigh for tomorrows movement to Soton Docks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

508212 now en-route to the Fire Training College at Moreton in Marsh

Last edited:

A0wen

On Moderation
508212 now en-route to the Fire Training College at Moreton in Marsh

I suspect that's going to be a one way journey as well........

Probably won't be much left of it once it's been used for various training exercises.

tom1649

Probably won't be much left of it once it's been used for various training exercises.

RIP 508212, one of the first PEP derivatives to go. A shame you weren't looked after by your previous owners.

RIP 508212, one of the first PEP derivatives to go. A shame you weren't looked after by your previous owners.

I take it that you refer to SET? If so, they didn't own it, but were responsible for looking after it.

fgwrich

Established Member
I highly doubt that's it's going to come out of Morton in Marsh in pieces - Rather this would actually be a rather usefull training aid for dealing with fires on 3 rd rail DC electric trains. Afterall, they've got quite a few Pendolino coaches and Mk2s in there and none of those have been burnt.

But as for clearing it, Yep, i think you've missed your chance there - Unless you consider joining a Fire & Rescue service?! :lol:

Surely better this than razor blades? At least for a few more years it'll serve a useful purpose

Actually it wont be. The interior fittings must remain in place, as without you can't really do a proper evac exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.