• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

508212 to depart Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

508212 will be leaving Eastleigh on 14/08 bound for Soton docks and loading for onward road transport. The ultimate destination is to be confirmed. GBRf will be providing the power which is likely to be 4x73 (two each end).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Is 508212 the unit that SouthEastern used as a Christmas tree for quite some time?

fgwrich

Established Member
Is it time to say goodbye to it do we know?

I dont think so, as if it was to go for scrap then A - It would have probably been scrapped on site by Knights Rail themselves, and B - Why would it be going by rail to Soton Docks - Some of them arrived into the works by road, so i can't see any reason why this wouldnt...Somethings deffinatly up with this unit, so we shall see!

I wonder if it actually has anything to do with the reccent announcement by Angel Trains / Alstom & Bombardier, to carry out test bed work for potential EMU Life extention - These 508s could even end up in the Valleys for all we know!

4SRKT

Established Member
508212 will be leaving Eastleigh on 14/08 bound for Soton docks and loading for onward road transport. The ultimate destination is to be confirmed. GBRf will be providing the power which is likely to be 4x73 (two each end).
FOUR 73s?! Why?

MCR247

Established Member
Brake force if the consist is solely 508s and 73s?

4SRKT

Established Member
Brake force if the consist is solely 508s and 73s?

A couple of brake vans? When 508s were delivered, trust me they were hauled to Wimbledon two at a time by a single loco.

The formation will be 2x73+Translator+508212+Translator+2x73

The EDs are for brakeforce and traction. The translators will be in barrier mode only as 508212 is unbraked.

4SRKT

Established Member
Will the 508 be filled with lead ingots to require such enormous traction? ;)

The provision of four locos has nothing to do with power. 508212 will weigh much less than the others when it leaves anyway!

Hydro

Established Member
No, but 2,400 hp of 4x 73s using 4SRKT mega-thrash is still a lot.

Doubtful all four would be powering, 1,200 off the juice is plenty for tootling into the docks.

ChristopherJ

Class 73s are forbidden to haul a train (i.e not light engine) solo when on diesel power on the mainline - two are required in multiple.

If the train is to be top 'n tailed and travel on electrified line on NR then two locos are required at each end - hence why four are being used.

This is the reason why are GBRf stock moves and engineering trains using 73s north of the Southern Region are double headed; such as this working last month from Wolverton - two locos for two wagons!

7545932280_a3f58e9aa8_z.jpg

Last edited:

KA4C

Class 73s are forbidden to haul a train (i.e not light engine) solo when on diesel power on the mainline - two are required in multiple.

Sorry, you are wrong, source of info please?

First I've heard of this restriction, and I've been working on them for 25 years

KA4C

First I've heard of this restriction, and I've been working on them for 25 years

Same here and I've been working on them for 38 years, which is why I requested the info source as we all live and learn, don't we

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
As I understand it the diesel engine isn't particularly powerful, so they may double them up when not on the juice simply to increase the power available.

KA4C

As I understand it the diesel engine isn't particularly powerful, so they may double them up when not on the juice simply to increase the power available.

Yeah, twas always thus, but that aint the same as EDL's being "banned" from working trains in diesel conditions, single loco. I'd just like to see the reference for this instruction

tempests1

Yeah, twas always thus, but that aint the same as EDL's being "banned" from working trains in diesel conditions, single loco. I'd just like to see the reference for this instruction

The Sectional Appendix General Instructions South East (Kent, Sussex, & Wessex) states the following

Class 73 electro-diesel locomotive working on diesel power

When a train hauled by an electro-diesel locomotive is required to travel over a section of line where electric traction current is normally available but has been isolated due to incident or engineering works, etc. the following will apply:-

•Train running with normal load - train times over the section of line concerned to be increased by 50%.

•Trains running at normal speed – train loading to be reduced by 60%

KA4C

The Sectional Appendix General Instructions South East (Kent, Sussex, & Wessex) states the following

Class 73 electro-diesel locomotive working on diesel power

When a train hauled by an electro-diesel locomotive is required to travel over a section of line where electric traction current is normally available but has been isolated due to incident or engineering works, etc. the following will apply:-

•Train running with normal load - train times over the section of line concerned to be increased by 50%.

•Trains running at normal speed – train loading to be reduced by 60%

Which refers to routes where an EDL would normally work in electric conditions and was always the instruction, even in BR days and is the instruction that I refer to via NESA

No mention there of EDL's being banned from working in diesel mode, hauling trains, unless in multi

Still waiting for xplo42 to enlighten us

tempests1

Although I cannot find a more specific instruction regarding the 73's (I imagine there could be one somewhere!) it probably is prudent to use two loco's as the class are infamous for overheating particularly if one loco is handling a heavy train. One example that springs to mind is when a 73 was used as a subsitute loco on a Cross Country service that was put on at Guildford, it was on fire by the time it got to Reading Spur Junction! So perhaps GB Railfreight took the decision to double up as if a failure occured they would have the delay bill to deal with. In addition to reduce the wear and tear on the loco's and as previous posts have stated to compensate for the 600hp individual loco power output double heading is no doubt a good idea!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.