• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

508301/302/303 Warm Store Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is intended that the three former LOROL 508s at Eastleigh begin warm storage running on the 20th August. For the first week there are likely to be two return trips daily. Destinations TBA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not for the first week, no. But going forward after that, most probably yes.

David10

How long have these been in store at Eastleigh for, must be at least 3 years? Recall that the Southeastern 508s used to do warm storage runs, but that was before they moved to Telford for storage.

tom1649

Are they saving these units for a rainy day? If they are still in working order they should be put to work on the Merseyrail network to ease overcrowding. No doubt the old interior with "low backed seats" (shock! horror!) wouldn't reflect Merseyrail's high standards. If not, then why not put them out of their misery? Surely they are just wasting space.

David10

Recall that after London Overground finished with them they were sent to Liverpool, but rejected by Merseyrail because of their condition and hence went into store. With new 3rd rail stock due over the next few years in the South East, can't see them ever being needed.

tom1649

Why start running them after 3 years storage then? I can understand the leasing company wanting to play with its trainset but it must cost money to run them.

12CSVT

Established Member
Would any of the stored 508s have use as departmental units (de-icers, sandite units etc) ?

Now late September. Initial runs will be to Winchester only and are likely to be with a single unit

D365

Veteran Member
Why start running now? I can only assume that the leasing company (Eversholt?) would like to bring them back into service, but perhaps a trial refurbishment (similar to 317722) might be in order; new traction, interiors etc. This could then be applied to any other PEP units that remain in use.

Perhaps the 507/508 fleets could have OH capability added and merged into a rebuilt 313 class designation, but would that be worth it? As far as I know, the difference between 507s and 508s is in compressors (and the fact that 508s were built with four carriages as new).

Why start running now? I can only assume that the leasing company (Eversholt?) would like to bring them back into service, but perhaps a trial refurbishment (similar to 317722) might be in order; new traction, interiors etc. This could then be applied to any other PEP units that remain in use.

Perhaps the 507/508 fleets could have OH capability added and merged into a rebuilt 313 class designation, but would that be worth it? As far as I know, the difference between 507s and 508s is in compressors (and the fact that 508s were built with four carriages as new).

Leasing company is Angel Trains. If the units didn't have a future, then spending any money on them would be pointless :|

508303 completed two return trips to Winchester yesterday. These two trips will be repeated today. 508302 should join 303 on Thursday.

There will be no trips on Friday

From Monday 01/10 it is planned that the units will do return trips to Basingstoke on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays

From week beginning 08/10, it is hope that the Wednesday run will be adjusted in order to turn the units

508301 will join them at some point to make a 9 car set

5Z08
Eastleigh 09.32
Winchester 10.11/10.27
Eastleigh 10.38

5Z09
Eastleigh 10.50
Winchester 11.09/11.27
Eastleigh 11.44

The Winchester timings are Baltic Sidings

Timings for Basingstoke runs not available yet

The Winchester runs will now run this coming Friday as well

fgwrich

Established Member
Ah, Cheers for that 50047, I'll try and catch them when they start running up here next week then. Do you know how long these test runs will last for (as in 1/2 weeks)?

Ah, Cheers for that 50047, I'll try and catch them when they start running up here next week then. Do you know how long these test runs will last for (as in 1/2 weeks)?

Open ended really........ Right now probably well into next year but things are changing constantly

I'll have to see whether I can catch this when I'm in Fareham in November

Well you may not have very far to go. More when confirmed

Todays run was cancelled due to failure
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
508303 has had some more problems today and once again the trips had to be cancelled. It is hoped that it will be ready for Friday.

34D

Established Member
Can anyone answer the question "why"?

One would presume that the units have had work done with them to get them registered for the network again.

Why? Because the owning ROSCO sees fit to run them with a view to keeping them in good order prior to a number of opportunities coming to conclusion. They could just as easily be switched off for good if none of these come about. Thats all the detail I can offer.

The units were not at any time de-registered. They have had a lot of work done on them to get them running again, and they are far from good right now, with new problems arising all the time.

Once todays 5Z08 arrives back at Eastleigh (10/10), the warm store running of all the 508s at Eastleigh will cease.

It looks like the delay to some franchises and the failure of a number of other opportunities to bear fruit has killed the current programme

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Are these sets being loco hauled or actually moving under their own power?

fgwrich

Established Member
Why? Because the owning ROSCO sees fit to run them with a view to keeping them in good order prior to a number of opportunities coming to conclusion. They could just as easily be switched off for good if none of these come about. Thats all the detail I can offer.

The units were not at any time de-registered. They have had a lot of work done on them to get them running again, and they are far from good right now, with new problems arising all the time.

Once todays 5Z08 arrives back at Eastleigh (10/10), the warm store running of all the 508s at Eastleigh will cease.

It looks like the delay to some franchises and the failure of a number of other opportunities to bear fruit has killed the current programme

Oh great! Is that after it get's back to Eastleigh on this test run or todays runs?

As for how it's moving - they are (or were) moving under their own power at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.