• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a good few trips.

I had 144019 yesterday on a Leeds to York via Garforth stopper and it was absolutely flying from Micklefield to York so clearly someone had given it a kick!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I didn’t do anything train related on Thursday but I was back out on Friday.

This was the “big” move of the week.

I was up and out at 5am and had a very enjoyable drive up to Glasgow.

Arrival at Newton Park and Ride was at 9 o’clock and I was ready for some Scottish EMU bashing.
I rejected a pair of 314s in order to see what was behind them.
This proved to be a good move as it was one of my few required 320s, 320311.
This left me needing just one of the 320/3s, 320307, as well as 320411 and the three 321s that are rumoured to be undergoing conversion in the near future (321401/403/404).
I decided to use this winner to score not only a new shack but also a new bit of line.
320311 was thus employed to take me to Milngavie.

Having got the terminus in the book it made sense to get the other couple of stations on the line.
It was the same unit again out as far as Bearsden.

320311 leaves the Den of Bears, happily they remained hidden :)
EMU 320311_2017.06.16_4_Bearsden by Phil Wood, on Flickr

320302 was next, first from Bearsden to Hillfoot and then from there to Bridgeton.
320302 had only been had for a mile or so prior to this, so it made sense to do it to the first required station after ten miles had been reached.

A pair of 320s followed, 320320 and 320318.
These were taken as far as Glasgow Central Low Level.

My first 318 of the day was a winner, 318261, which was in partnership with 320314.
This pairing was taken to Motherwell and passing the depot I scored not one but two locos for sight, 68006 and 88004.
That was a nice bonus.

I left Motherwell on one of the former LM 321s, 320412, which was working with 320322.
Both these were decent mileage already, so I decided to leave them behind at Cambuslang and board the following service.
This proved to be another fairly recent arrival to the area, 320413.
This was taken to Hyndland where I intended to hang around until a winner showed up.
Happily, it wasn’t a very long wait before 318250 arrived.
Once again, I wanted to get it over ten miles so picked a required station that was appropriate.
Stepps was the chosen spot.
At Stepps I had the chance to photograph 66736 passing through, which was another bonus.

66736:
66736_2017.06.16_2_Stepps by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Low mileage 334032 was the next haulage, taking me back to Hyndland.

As we neared the station I saw a required 318 heading out on an Airdrie service.
A quick look on RTT saw a plan worked out and I boarded 318253 for the trip to Blairhill where I hoped to meet my winner.
My hopes were met when 318268 pulled in, paired with 320321.

Still in Strathclyde PTE livery:
EMU 318268_2017.06.16_1_Blairhill_& 320321 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Once again I passed a required 318 on the way in so it made sense to do a repeat of that move, with 320305 taking me away from Hyndland.
This time, however, I decided to bail a stop earlier, at Easterhouse.

Easterhouse is just less than ten miles from Hyndland so I stayed on board 318270 to Westerton.

I had something else that I wanted to do before I began the drive home, so it was the next thing to the city centre, this time to Queen Street Low Level.
Fortunately this produced another winner in the shape of 334029, which was working with 334026.
I contemplated staying on for the ten miles but figured that 334s are common on Central Scotland rovers and the five and a bit I got this time would suffice for now.

I walked across town to Central and made my way to the next Newton service.
The last time I had done this move I had intended to get some new shacks on the Newton branch but had failed due to sticking with winning units instead.
Now I was determined to get some in.

Also, I wanted a bit of 314 action.
I was disappointed on that score as it was 320414 that appeared, my third ex LM 321 of the day.

This was taken to Kirkhill where I festered for a bit before re-joining it for the short run to Croftfoot.
My last train of the day gave me the 314 I hoped for, 314208.

See:
EMU 314208_2017.06.16_Croftfoot by Phil Wood, on Flickr

This was taken through to Newton where I set off on the drive home just before 19.30, getting back nearly four hours later.
In summary, four new 318s, leaving me two to clear, one 320, a single 334 and nine new stations.
A very enjoyable day and one I intend to repeat in the near future.

alexf380

Established Member
You've reminded me that I need to get across to Glasgow sharpish for an EMU bash, considering the number of shacks that I require across that way.

A week well spend, I'm sure!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you've had an awesome week that's for sure! Incredibly productive and you've got me wanting both a West Yorkshire and a SPT bash!

Keith Jarrett

What a good week being let out on a very long leash. That Glasgow escapade sounded particularly productive although I appreciate that bashing in your own back yard will never produce the same quantity of winners that a leap further afield can usually guarantee.

A very enjoyable read too!

Established Member
Certainly sounded like a very productive few days. Wiping out the EMUs both North and South of the border. Wiping your feet of the Northern 319/3s especially.

Good reads as usual, with the obligatory cracking photos thrown in for good measure.

I must get back up into Jock Rail Territory again, those Roundabout tickets are cracking value, plus it's a while since I had a spin on the Fife circle cats too.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd forgotten that I read this the other day and didn't comment. It was very enjoyable as always. Units may not be my thing particularly but the feeling of clearing things is very very nice.

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
Not for the first time I’ve been unable to get on the forum recently due to being snowed under with various things.
That hasn’t stopped me being out on the trains, though.
I’ve a few things to write up, starting with this.

I had booked a week off in June due to reaching a high stress level at work, however it had been my intention to go for a week in July; unfortunately, there was no available week so I settled for June.

Why did I prefer July to June when I was so stressed out?
Well I already had a long weekend booked at the end of the month; so having a week off, then a week back in followed by half a week and a multi-day move seemed to me to be bunching things up a bit.
But I had no choice so I took the week that I have already reported.

Now it was time for the original move.
Thursday June the 29th was my start day and I was booked on the 07.53 from Wakefield to Kings Cross.
07.53 is a bit later than I usual do, so I had time to get to Leeds for it.

This would serve two purposes, firstly it would mean that I could identify the loco without having to get it at Wakefield and then do a mad dash to my coach.
The second advantage to starting at Leeds was the extra ten miles it would give me if a low mileage machine produced.

I made my way to Leeds, from Westgate, on 322482.
Opting for Leeds proved to be a good move as it was one of my lowest 91s, 91127, that rolled in from Skipton.
91127 was one of six members of the class that were so low on the mileage front that a Leeds to Kings Cross run would fail to get it over the thousand.
There are now only five locos in that group :)
91127 now stands at 870.01, so another good run on it should see it join the thousand mile club.

I had three days in the capital and decided I would spend it getting a few units from several different classes rather than concentrating on one or two types.
As anyone that has read and remembered my previous witterings will know, 357s are a particular bug bear of mine.
I was determined to get some in today so began by going to Liverpool Street, via the Underground and 21560.

As I arrived at the high numbered platforms so did 345005.
This would be working a service to Shenfield, leaving in a few minutes.
Obviously I would do that just to sample it.
Actually, no I wouldn’t.
I’m going to wait until they are at the full complement of nine cars before I sample one.
Anyway, there was something a bit more interesting waiting to follow it out.

My 360 totals are pretty poor, although my frequent trips in search of 315s have resulted in the numbers slowly creeping up.
They inched forward once again as I took 360115 to Romford.

EMU 360115_2017.06.29_Romford by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Upminster was my next port of call, which I reached using dud 317890.
The first Fenchurch Street service was running late.
The platform was crowded and I noticed the following service was four minutes behind it.
This was valuable information as it was dud single unit 357003 that arrived first and promptly got wedged out.
I stayed on the platform and was rewarded with double winners 357204 and 357033.
There was plenty of room on these.

My stay at Fenchurch Street was very brief as another required pair, 357317 and 357019 were already filling up.
I took these back to Upminster as I was, for a change, happy with my 357 gains for the day and had something in mind back over Romford way.

EMU 357019_2017.06.29_Upminster_& 357317 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I needed five TFL 315s and had a further three sitting below ten miles.
The chances of a pair of winners were remote, but I had spotted a winner plus a mileage requirement when I was on 360115 and put RTT to work to see what they would be doing for the rest of the day.

317890 took me back to 315 territory and my calculations proved to be correct as 315832 and sub ten mile 315857 soon arrived on a Shenfield service.

Another pair that I had observed earlier had piqued my interest.
The rear set out of London had been dud 315855 but the front one had only been partially identified.
It ended in 5 and I was sure, as it whizzed passed, that the digit in front of that had been a 4.
315845 was another mileage requirement and I’d worked out that I could do 832 & 857 to Harold Wood for this set back towards London, stay on 845 until it reached the ten mile mark, then get off and pick up the other two to get them over the ten.

Nice plan.

Unfortunately, when 315855 arrived it was partnered by 315835.
Bah.
I took them anyway, but only as far as Gidea Park where I hung around until 857 & 832 pulled in.
Just to make make things a little bit more annoying, 315845 was spotted stabled on Gidea Park sidings.

En route to Liverpool Street I saw another one of my requirements so immediately hopped aboard 360109 for a swift run back to Romford.
315841 was roped in, partnered by 315833 and I made my way back to Liverpool Street for the last time.

I now had something different in mind.
I was after some class 482 action.
Class what? You might say.

Those of a similar vintage to me may well remember when the Waterloo and City line was something of an anomaly.
It was run by BR rather than London Underground and the stock was given TOPS numbers.
First they had 487s and later came the class 482s.
They were essentially 92 stock and were ordered in that year by Network SouthEast when they took over running the line.
At or around privatisation LU took over and the class numbers were dropped.
For me though, once something has a TOPS number then it always has a TOPS number.
There were ten two car units built, numbered 482501 - 510 and they were formed into semi-permanent four car sets.

I made my way over to Bank from Liverpool Street on 91317 and then had my first recorded run on a class 482, with 482509 running, as it should be, with 482510.

Once at Waterloo I decided to make my way to the hotel via a winning shack.

5726 and 5915 were utilised to take me to Tolworth

EMU 455915_2017.06.29_1_Tolworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I then hung around for a bit and did the same pair back to Wimbledon.

Next up was a tram bash.
I had one requirement and two sub mile sets so was pleased to see it was one of the latter, 2537, that would do the deed.
Once at Wellesley Road I went to Sainsbury's for supplies and then checked into the hotel.
I did intend to go back out but once I'd got to my room on the eighth floor and eaten my tea I decided I couldn't be arsed so watched the Germany versus Mexico football match instead.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm glad you explained that about 482s as I was not familiar with those or the 487s.

Certainly a very good first day for you, nice to read of some good luck on 357s for once!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember getting a 487 on a Network Southeast day in the 80s but I didn't realise that the newer stock was originally classed as 482. Interesting stuff.

Kite159

Veteran Member
*pictures Mr 13 going backwards and forward all day long on the W&C to get the 482s over ten miles* :lol:

(Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for a longish walk between arrival & departure platforms at Waterloo)

Established Member
Another good read, scoring from the off with 91127 and then scratching more units in London.

Have to admit the 482s, were a total mystery to me too, certainly a case of, you live and learn. Does that mean you'll be seeking out 501-508 too?

I can sympathise with the I cant be arsed, sometimes if me ankle plays up, I think shall i call it quits today, however I'm scared I miss owt, so I avoid going back to base camp for a break and generally, take a longer run somewhere else and rest up a bit.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Established Member
I'm glad you explained that about 482s as I was not familiar with those or the 487s.

Certainly a very good first day for you, nice to read of some good luck on 357s for once!

Thanks, I must admit I was very pleased with the 357s.
As for the 482s, there are a few shots kicking around that show them in a version of NSE and carrying their 482 numbers.
There's also a 487 preserved in NSE livery, which looks somewhat incongruous.
See here (not my photo): https://www.flickr.com/photos/14071...ist-UmsZDL-Uq91ZK-PdMJEz-PTq4Jo-kFqdLv-qXKSQ2

I remember getting a 487 on a Network Southeast day in the 80s but I didn't realise that the newer stock was originally classed as 482. Interesting stuff.

Cheers.
I must admit I started looking them through idle curiosity and found their history very interesting.
I do remember their time with NSE but didn't take that much notice back then.
I also remember an NSE liveried 487 being parked up adjacent to Waterloo station for quite a while (or maybe it was several different ones, changing over time).

*pictures Mr 13 going backwards and forward all day long on the W&C to get the 482s over ten miles* :lol:

(Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for a longish walk between arrival & departure platforms at Waterloo)

I'm sure I'll be making use of that line again, purely as a way to get from Liverpool Street to Waterloo, so it's possible some will hit ten miles.
I'm not going to hold my breath though :)

Established Member
Onwards and upwards – I promise I’ll get round to reading everyone else’s reports sometime soon, but in the meantime here’s day two.

Friday was the last day of June and I was determined to finish the month with plenty of winners, both units and shacks.

Following breakfast at the hotel I walked round to East Croydon and took up position by the tram stop.
I was hoping for my last member of the fleet but was out of luck.

After festering for about an hour and seeing the same unrequired sets start to repeat I abandoned the task and decided to catch the next Wimbledon service.

The previous evening I had been pleased to get sub mile 2537 for a decent run.
I was less pleased when it proved to be the same tram that appeared for my run to the end of the line.
I had waited long enough and didn’t want to waste any further time so took it anyway.

Having spent a good portion of the day waiting for a tram that wasn’t out (I saw it parked up on the depot as I passed on 2537, which caused much gnashing of teeth) I didn’t want to hang around so I jumped the first train to Waterloo.
This was formed of dud 5740 and winner 5750.
Wimbledon is less than ten miles from Waterloo so I took the same pair back out to Clapham Junction in order to get 5750 over the magic mark.

At Clapham Junction I managed a half decent photo of new 707003:
EMU 707003_2017.06.30_2_Clapham Junction by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I waited there for a winning pair, not too long a wait as I need loads.
5717 and 5727 were the units in question.
I sat in the latter into Waterloo and then the former out to the first new station of the day, Worcester Park.

I was keeping my eyes peeled for some 456ers and saw no less than three pairs in action.
I tried to work out what they were doing but trains are so frequent and I was on the move so it proved difficult.

Another pair of required 455s, 5918 and 5724 took me into Waterloo and then back out as I hoped to make one of the 456 pairings at another new shack.
This was Surbiton.

My 450 totals are woeful so when 450101 rolled in heading towards London I decided to flag the possible 456 score and do that instead.
I figured that I could get back as far as Clapham Junction and view what I hoped were the units in question.
I got out easy enough, on 5739 and 5711.
The latter remains under ten miles but you can’t have everything; in the event, the short run to the Junction enabled 5739 to join the ten mile club.
I was glad I’d plumped for the 450 as I’d got it wrong and it was another pair of 455s that appeared on the train I was aiming for.

I had another possibility and worked out how to meet up with that.
AC testbed 5732 was my next winner, coupled to 5862 and taken from Clapham to Waterloo and thence to Raynes Park.
This time my calculations proved to be correct and it was 456004 that went in the book.
Sadly its sister was dud 456014.
The set was completed by 5867.

Yippee, a 456:
EMU 456014_2017.06.30_2_Waterloo by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Time was marching on; rush hour was approaching and I’d had enough of 455s for one day.
Nevertheless, I took the same train that I’d arrived on back out of Waterloo, this time sitting in the 455.

I had a plan to see out the peak period and it involved another new station.
I left the 455/456 combo at Clapham Junction and boarded 458534 and 458529, the latter my final 458 for sight, which was nice.
These were done into Waterloo and then out to Richmond.

My plan was to get to Croydon via a lap of the Overground.
378232 took me from Richmond to Highbury & Islington.

EMU 378232_2017.06.30_2_Richmond by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Next up was 378223.
This was on a Crystal Palace service so I left it at Sydenham.

Dud 378140 then took me the rest of the way to West Croydon.
Looking at my records I realised that 378140 would remain under ten miles, but tantalisingly close.
I had no option but to do it back out to Penge West.

It was another winner in the shape of 378143 that I used to return to West Croydon.
Obviously, this meant it was under ten miles but as with 5711 you can’t get them all in.

I wasn’t yet ready to call it a day, so I jumped aboard tram 2560 and set off round to East Croydon.

The idea was to have another wait around to see if my last tram would show its face.
At the bottom of Wellersley Road I saw it heading West!

The chase was on.
It had route number 1 showing but I didn’t know what that meant.
I decided it was probably Wimbledon so got on the next one heading that way.
This was 2535 and it was working a Therapia Lane terminator.
This proved to be a stroke of luck as it gave me time to read the posters at Therapia Lane and discover that, not for the first time, I’d cocked up.
Route 1 is Elmers End to West Croydon.
It had followed me round the loop whilst I was on 2560 – I must have just missed seeing it again at the bottom of Wellesley Road.
Still, at least I knew it was out and about.

I headed back into Croydon on 2536, hoping to meet my requirement on its way back from Elmers End.
I was in luck once again as my wait at East Croydon amounted to no more than ten minutes before 2565 appeared.
I took it all the way round and left it at the same place I’d got on to ensure it was done for over a mile.

See:
Croydon Tram 2565_2017.06.30_East Croydon by Phil Wood, on Flickr.

So that’s all the Croydon trams done, including the one that was damaged, presumably irreparably, in the awful accident at Sandilands – 2551.
After that I was happy to call it a day and walked back to my hotel, via Sainsbury.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A great couple of reads there. Even though the morning tram hunt wasn't fruitful, congrats on finally managing to get your last one!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Many congratulations on clearing Tramlink, a feat I may never manage as I still doubt 2551 will ever return.

Certainly you had a decent day all in :)

Established Member
Thanks lads.
I've just had a quick look before I go to work and there's a photo on Flickr of not one, but three, stored 487s beside the main station at Waterloo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trefl...Ay-deNaYh-deNbN8-deN6Sh-deN9Zw-deN7YD-deNaM9/

This is interesting to me as it was taken on the 24th of July 1989 and I did 50024 out of Waterloo that day (also 50026 & 50018 out and 73109 in three days later), meaning that the memory I have must be of these three, although they're not in NSE livery as I recalled.

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

That was a great read - always good to see what folk get up to on my home patch. Those 456s can be difficult to track down although the diagrams are around somewhere. There should be four sets of 455+456+456 out of Waterloo M-F and two lots of 455+455+456 out in the peaks.

I remember those old W&C units - not much more than padded cells on wheels as they lurched and squealed their way between Waterloo and Bank.

But that photo of tram 2565 - it's the only one that's sub 10 miles and I've not even seen it for several months .....

Established Member
Thanks Keith.
I must admit to feeling very lucky that 2565 fell in my lap, even if I did my best to bowl myself out :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks lads.
I've just had a quick look before I go to work and there's a photo on Flickr of not one, but three, stored 487s beside the main station at Waterloo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trefl...Ay-deNaYh-deNbN8-deN6Sh-deN9Zw-deN7YD-deNaM9/

This is interesting to me as it was taken on the 24th of July 1989 and I did 50024 out of Waterloo that day (also 50026 & 50018 out and 73109 in three days later), meaning that the memory I have must be of these three, although they're not in NSE livery as I recalled.

That's a great photo. Those old Drain cars look really old fashioned. That was good getting 50026 out of Waterloo, I think it was more of a Paddington to Oxford regular by then. I may be wrong though, it's a long time ago! I always liked Indomitable, it was extremely rough by the end, quite surprised that it survived really.
Great reports 55013 thanks for posting them.

Established Member
That's a great photo. Those old Drain cars look really old fashioned. That was good getting 50026 out of Waterloo, I think it was more of a Paddington to Oxford regular by then. I may be wrong though, it's a long time ago! I always liked Indomitable, it was extremely rough by the end, quite surprised that it survived really.
Great reports 55013 thanks for posting them.

Or more likely, I got the date wrong, the move that I did 50026, 50018, 50024 & 73109 on was those dates in 1990, not 1989!
Oops.

I did do Waterloo that week in '89, though.
Not the 24th but the 20th, when 73130 was done out to Woking after doing an EMU in from Clapham Junction, so the main point, that I saw those 487s, still stands :).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Or more likely, I got the date wrong, the move that I did 50026, 50018, 50024 & 73109 on was those dates in 1990, not 1989!
Oops.

I did do Waterloo that week in '89, though.
Not the 24th but the 20th, when 73130 was done out to Woking after doing an EMU in from Clapham Junction, so the main point, that I saw those 487s, still stands :).

:lol: Sounded like a good day out whatever year it was!

Established Member
Oh, it was a very good day :)
45135 and I were on an ALR.
We had done 37404 on the up Fort William sleeper on the night of the 19th.
This gave way to an electric in the early hours of the 20th, so our moves for the 20th of July 1989 were:

90017 Glasgow Central - Birmingham New Street
47611 New Street - Reading
DEMU Reading - Basingstoke
50048 Basingstoke - Woking
73112 Woking - Clapham Junction
EMU Clapham Junction - Victoria
73204 Victoria - Gatwick Airport
73201 Gatwick Airport - Victoria
73204 Victoria - Gatwick Airport
73202 Gatwick Airport - Victoria
73205 Victoria - Gatwick Airport
73207 Gatwick Airport - Victoria
73203 Victoria - Gatwick Airport
73208 Gatwick Airport - Victoria
EMU Victoria - Clapham Junction
73104 Clapham Junction - Kensington Olympia
73104 Kensington Olympia - Clapham Junction
EMU Clapham Junction - Waterloo
73130 Waterloo - Woking
50003 Woking - Basingstoke
50002 Basingstoke - Salisbury
50007 Salisbury - Exeter
HST Exeter - Newton Abbot
Then into the 21st and 47512 on the up sleeper all the way to Paddington.
Happy days :)

Established Member
Anyway, enough about the good old days, now to something more modern.
Things aren't the same but I still get enjoyment from it, so why stop?
Here's day three.

Saturday the 1st of July was the final day of my move.
I began July in the same way I’d ended June, on a Croydon tram.
It didn’t surprise me in the least when I saw that my power for the 21-chain run from Wellesley Road to East Croydon was to be 2537.
On Thursday 2537 had been one of two members of the fleet that I’d had, but for less than a mile, now it was my highest mileage one!

Having cleared them the previous evening I had no need to fester at the tram stop, so it was straight down to the mainline platforms and my first winner of the day.
This was 377206 and was done to London Bridge.

My plan today was to go after Southern and Southeastern units, naturally with a new station or two thrown in.

First up was winner 375906 which, along with its dud sister 375927, was taken for short hop to Charing Cross.
Obviously, that was much less than ten miles so I intended to do them back out but something else required was due to leave first so I filed them in the “things to catch up with later” box.

The unit that had attracted my attention was 465247.
In keeping with the tradition established on my previous trip to this part of the world, the 465 it was paired with was dud, 465243.
As always these days, the ten mile thing was on my mind so I stayed on board to Welling.

Triple requirements 466002, 465004 and 465042 were pleasing additions to the haulage book for my trip back to Charing Cross.

I am always on the look-out for class 376 haulage when I’m in the right area, mainly because I’ve had so few of them.
So when I got off 465042 I didn’t need to give it much consideration before immediately jumping aboard 376030 and 376006.
Once again a new shack beckoned, this time Falconwood.

EMU 376006_2017.07.01_Falconwood by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Having had a triple winner followed by a double one my excellent run continued with another triple, formed of 465237, 466006 and 466009.

Regular readers of my inane ramblings may well recall that, whenever possible, I like to travel on every unit that makes up a set.
Now, with the ones I’d roped in starting to return, was the time to do just that.

A nice line up at Charing Cross:
EMU 466009_2017.07.01_2_Charing Cross_& 465173 & 465012 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Having sat in 466006 into Charing Cross I moved to 466009 for the Waterloo East leap, where I calculated I would meet the earlier triple winner.
This I did, doing a round trip to Charing Cross sitting in 466002 on the way in and 465004 back out.

I knew that 376030 and 376006 were following so I just hung around for five minutes before boarding coach 64306.

Now it was time to get that 375 from earlier into the ten mile club, so 375906 and 375927 were taken from London Bridge, where I’d left the 376ers, to Orpington

Another couple of units from the same class took me back to Charing Cross, this time it was numerically similar 375808 and 375708
Having sat in 808 on the way in it should surprise no-one to learn that I went into 708 for the short hop to London Bridge.

There was still one unit that I’d had for haulage today but hadn’t physically been in and it was this unit that I was aiming for now.
465237, still working with 466006 and 466009, was the unit in question and was taken, unsurprisingly, to Charing Cross for my last visit of the day.

My plan now was to go green and do a couple of Southern 455s.
The first train to leave Charing Cross was the one I’d just got off, so that’s what I did.

At London Bridge I made my way to the low level platforms and boarded 455816 for a trip to my last new station of the move, Woodmansterne.

EMU 455816_2017.07.01_2_Woodmansterne by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I then returned to the Bridge on 455836.

I had a plus four for a unit that would get me to East Croydon in plenty of time for a Thameslink service.
If I missed it I would have to resort to the underground.
455836 actually arrived early!
Yes, a Southern service getting to its destination ahead of time.

This meant I had a leisurely stroll round for 377453 and dud 377208.

I thought it might be a 700 but it was a pair of 377/5s, both winners.
377510 was leading 377521 and these were taken for the crawl to St Pancras.

As you might expect, I was hoping for a low mileage 91 for my trip home.
What I got was an HST.
43257 was on the front, with 43310 on the rear.

When I went down to view the front power car I observed the train in the adjacent platform.
This was 91103 on the 20.00 service to Newcastle.
Nothing unusual about that.

Who killed Bambi?
HST 43257_2017.07.01_2_Kings Cross_& 91103 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The HST left on time and we made steady progress until Stoke Junction.
We stopped at a red signal and sat for a while.

I was starting to think about possible issues when the guard made an announcement – the train in front, the 20.00 Kings Cross to Newcastle, had hit a deer and come to a standstill with damaged brakes.
Oh deer.

We eventually set off at a crawl, with the guard informing us that they had managed to get the Newcastle train to Grantham station.
We caught up with it and 91103 was nowhere to be seen but 91132 was being added to the front.
I presume that had come light from Doncaster.

To be honest it could have been much worse (for me, not the deer) as arrival into Wakefield was 62 minutes late.

Bambi cashing in his chips meant that I got an e-mail from VTEC a few days later telling me that my delay repay claim had been accepted and a full refund was on its way.
Mrs 13 was in Bridlington with her mate and wasn’t due back until Sunday, so no issue with me getting back late from what was now a free first class run from London to Wakefield.
Tidy :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was some excellent fortune on Southeastern, triple winners is a nice feeling! Although I'd imagine by the sounds of it you need quite a few 465s. My last Southeastern spin was far too short, and could do with a full day down there. Just like that I've got the urge to book a 6 day London mega fest for October...

Is First Class really much cop on VTEC? I've been told it's not that much to sing about, but looks awesome in the pictures I've seen. Ouch to the significant delay, but nice work on the Delay Repay.

As for your nostalgic look back at the NSE days, that does look like a very well enjoyed day!

Status
Not open for further replies.