• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Scottish ones are done, several of them on 90s back when they had a brief spell in charge of the North Berwick turns.
The ones I need are all of those, except Morpeth, from Manors to Chathill inclusive.
I shall be giving them some thought, but probably not until after my hopes of getting all the 91s for a thousand miles have died/been achieved.

Pegswood & the next on up have bus services nearby, so might be a case of researching the bus timetable, staying overnight on say a Friday, and doing something like Bus to Widdrington, train to [URL='http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/ACK/2018/03/23/1825']Acklington for a fester, back to Pegswood for a bus to Morpeth (or a ~ 3 mile walk).[/URL]

Sadly it seems the easy method of grabbing Alnmouth on a Saturday morning after visiting Chathill is gone as the VTEC doesn't call at Alnmouth anynmore

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Congratulations on clearing Kings Cross to Newcastle - something that I’m pretty sure I’ll never do. Enjoyed the read as always.

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
I've been incredibly busy recently so haven't had time to post the anti-climax that was the second half of my North East.
So here goes:

Day three began in the usual fashion, with 158756 my chariot from Interchange to Leeds.
I’d had two good days so I was probably due a day when things didn’t quite go according to plan.
Today was that day, or so I thought.
The first loco wasn’t required but I did it anyway.

As 91115 pushed me out of Leeds the next Southbound service was just arriving.
I tried and failed to ID the loco.
The fact that it might be one of my wants haunted me, so I left my train at Wakefield and hung around for half an hour, only to find that it was cleared from yesterday 91130 doing the deed.
Oh well.

Once at Doncaster I set up camp.
Unfortunately, it was absolutely freezing, so, with another unknown working off Leeds I elected to take 91125 to Westgate to see what it was.

Sadly, this proved a bad move, not only was it unwanted 91103 but as it was pulling into Doncaster I viewed the next Leeds departing and this was only the loco that remained my most wanted – 91120.
Blast.
What to do?
I jumped on 321902 that was leaving a few minutes later, surely this would get me to Leeds in time for me to do 120 back to Doncaster.
The chase was on.

I fired up RTT and had a look.
By now the 321 was on the move so I was pretty committed.
91120 should leave Leeds at 13.15.
The 321 wasn’t due to arrive until 13.11.
What’s more, it was already two minutes late
I agonised but decided I didn’t want to risk missing it completely in an effort to get an extra ten miles.
I left 321902 at Westgate.

When I boarded I hoped to make 91120 at Leeds, so hadn’t given any thought to the next Virgin service.
This was the one booked to be worked by the Midland Mainline power cars, one of which I needed outright.
I stood at Wakefield and watched it arrive and depart.
I could have done it easily and got a winner in the book.
Still, it’s only a HST and I haven’t lost any sleep over it.
Had I not been inpatient and jumped on 91125 earlier I would have had 60 miles from 91120, as it was I had to settled on 20.

A poor day for photographs, but here's one of 91120 a Doncaster:
91120_2018.03.16_Doncaster by Phil Wood, on Flickr

It remains my lowest mileage member of the class on 572.16, although it’s no longer my biggest cause for concern.
This is 91119, currently on 953.85, which suffered a major failure the previous week and is the subject of much internet debate with some people saying it might be game over for this loco.
If it is, then it’s game over for me and my hope of clearing the class, as well.
Until 91119's future is confirmed, however, I must continue as though I’m still in with a chance.

When I’d arrived at Doncaster earlier in the day I’d observed a wanted loco heading South and used RTT to work out when it should reach Doncaster heading North.
Having had a fairly poor day so far, I resolved to stand my ground and, unless something better came first, go to York on it.

I rejected several locos that didn’t meet the criteria and, after well over an hour, my luck finally improved as 91111 arrived as hoped.
With less than two miles needed it was only a trip to York that was required.

I’d not enjoyed the best of days, although getting my wants list down to single figures had cheered me up.
Nevertheless, I’d enough for today.
Surely my luck would be better tomorrow.
Just to give the day a final twist, 185101 taunted me, by sitting, going nowhere, in platform 11 – I’m really starting to dislike that unit!
158753 was sat in platform 6 on a Preston service, so I decided to take that through to Bradford and go home.

Saturday was the fourth and final day.
Well, it was supposed to be.
I awoke to find Bradford covered snow, the roads were in a very poor state and I had a flat tyre on my car.
Instead of a day doing 91 mileage accumulation I ended up spending the day watching TV with Mrs 13.

I had a slight hope that Sunday would give me the opportunity to get some train miles in the book; but, alas, the snow was even worse.
Work filled my time for the remaining validity of the rover, so I finished up only using it for three days.

In summary, I’m happy with the three days I’ve had; the progress on 91120 is particularly pleasing.
Getting the tricky station at Chester-le-Street was also satisfying.
Even the Friday, with all its frustrations, was better than being at work :)

Last edited:

Established Member
Once I heard that a juicy pair of 68s were in action on the Cumbrian coast my planning muscles sprang into action.

Due to short staffing at work I’ve had to temporarily return to five short days, meaning no free Fridays until May.
Still, the 68s are out on Saturdays, so that shouldn’t be a problem.
I spent ages trying to work out the best balance of cost, driving distance and shack scoring that I could and came up with a nice little move that involved an early start but should be productive.
I’d purchased my bank-busting Cumbria Day Ranger on my way home from work on Friday, so that was sorted.

I left home at 05.30 and pulled into the car park at Long Preston an hour later.
My target was the 06.55 Lancaster service.

This arrived more or less on time in the hands of 144017.
After forty minutes, spent bouncing around inside the 144, I was deposited at Carnforth.
This was what I foresaw as the pivotal moment of the day.

If the 144 was late I might be in trouble as I only had a plus four.
It was a couple of minutes early.
So far, so good.

My next train was 185129, this contained a single required coach, 53129, so that was where I sat.
Eighteen cleared now.

My arrival at Barrow gave me plenty of time to stroll over for the first of today’s four planned loco haulages.
This was 37403.
I intended to get a couple of new stations in; so instead of doing it as far as I could to get the 68s, I bailed at Foxfield.
I was unaware at the time but this proved to be a very beneficial place to spend a bit of time.

Some great views and the curve of the line gives the opportunity for some nice photos.

37403_2018.03.24_3_Foxfield by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Not long after 37403 had disappeared from sight, a flask train, headed by 68020 and 68004, came through going South.
The former being a winner for sight.

68020_2018.03.24_2_Foxfield_& 68004 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

These were followed a few minutes later by a similar combination on a North bound train.
Another sight requirement, 68005, was leading dud for haulage 68002.

With my time profitably filled I left Foxfield on 156444.
I took this as far as Askam

From now on my plan was simple.
The first thing North to meet 68017 & 68018.
I would do 68018 to Barrow followed by 68017 to where-ever was appropriate to pick up 37403.
Do that to Lancaster, followed by the Morecambe – Leeds service back to Long Preston and home.
It started well enough, with 153301 and 156466 taking me to Green Road.
I enjoyed my time at Green Road.
I could hear no man-made sounds at all, just the singing of numerous birds.
Most relaxing.

The time for my train approached and I heard a horn in the distance.
I couldn’t hear the throb of a 68, though.
I was after a 17 and I got one.
Blast.

Apparently, the set had been taken out of service on Friday night with a fault on one of the coaches.

Although my plan was in tatters I wasn’t going to remain downhearted for long.
I resolved to switch my attention to winning shacks.

Therefore, I left 142017 at Kirkby-in-Furness.

Not what I was expecting:
DMU 142017_2018.03.24_3_Kirkby-in-Furness by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I had nearly an hour here before the same unit re-appeared and took me to my sixth new station of the day, Bootle.

I recently re-calibrated my unit needs list.
There are numerous ones that I had back in the days when I didn’t bother recording the actual moves done on anything that wasn’t a loco.
I used to refer to these as “second choice” units but have now decided to just count them as required.
One DMU that fitted that description took me from Bootle.
This was 156438 and I called it a winner.

DMU 156438_2018.03.24_1_Bootle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

This took me to Silecroft.
The move now was to do the next service North and meet the 37.
I looked on RTT.
My next planned unit was, more or less, on time a Roose.
As the departure time approached I was joined on the platform by several other people.
A woman walked past and said “It’s twenty three minutes late”.
What?
I’d not long looked and it was on time.
Another view of RTT showed that she wasn’t winding me up.
On time arriving at Barrow, twenty three late leaving.
Not for the first time today I uttered a curse.
Some re-calculation followed.
If it didn’t lose any more time I would have four minutes at Ravenglass.
I crossed my fingers.

Eventually, dud for the day 156444 arrived and we were on our way.
I could have bailed at Bootle and played safe, but I enjoy the thrill of the chase so decided to risk going for a new station.
The 156 then proceeded to lose even more time.
37403 hammered by several minutes before I even had the chance to get off at Ravenglass.
There was now no need to bail there as I could make the next service to Barrow at the station I originally planned.

So I stayed on 156444 until Seascale.
Another look on RTT showed that the train I was getting next was on time.
Having missed the 37, this was my last chance to make the Long Preston train I wanted.
It was a Barrow service and there was a plus five there for a Lancaster service that I could do to Carnforth.
Surely my bad luck for the day was over.
Nope.
It was on the display as being a couple of minutes down, but surely they would allow people time to get across from platform 3 to platform 1 at Barrow.
I was looking for it coming round the corner when a woman, who was also waiting, went to look at the information screen and loudly screamed “It’s just gone to ten minutes late”.
My heart sank.

Dud for the day 153301 and 156466 pulled in and I boarded.
When the guard came round I mentioned that I was hoping to make the 15.25 from Barrow.
She looked sceptical.
“Well, we might make up some time or that one might be late arriving. I’ll give them a ring and see if they’ll hold it.”

We made up no time and arrived at Barrow five minutes after the Preston train had left.
The guard came back to me shortly before we arrived and said that she had tried ringing control but got no answer and it was now too late to do anything about it.
I was far from the only person who had to wait an hour for the next one.
The 15.25 would have given me half an hour at Carnforth.
Missing it by five minutes meant that I had to go for the next Leeds service from Morecambe, meaning those five minutes had cost me three hours.

The 16.25 was 153332 on its own.
Nicely wedged with its usual punters plus those of us who hoped to get the one an hour earlier.
This was taken all the way to Lancaster.
I had a bit of time to kill but didn’t want to go too far away as missing the last possible train wasn’t on my agenda.

On my last visit, a few weeks before, 45135 and I had missed our intended train home because it had gone straight to Carnforth, missing Lancaster.
I couldn’t afford that to happen to me again, so decided to go to Carnforth, meet the incoming service, grab a seat, take it Morecambe and remain seated until the return got to Long Preston.
Nah, that wasn’t going to happen :)
Not with the way things had gone today.

185112, dud for everything, was my ride to Carnforth and 144015 was the unit that took me away from there.
Once at Lancaster the, on time, train went into bay platform 2.
Departure time came and went.
The guard made an announcement.
“Ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the delay, we are trying to couple to another unit but it’s not working. The driver is going to move our train forward a bit and then move the rear one forward in the hope that the track is more level.”
It turns out it was a better bit of track and the coupling was duly complete.
We had, however, now lost our path and we had to wait whilst a Pendolino from platform 3 got the road ahead of us.
Unfortunately, it didn’t move.
Instead, a group of lads got off and were immediately pounced upon by several members of the BTP.
The guard of the 390 got off and the three parties engaged in a frenzied debate.
The Pendolino wasn’t going anywhere whilst the guard was stood on the platform talking to the police.

Eventually, common sense prevailed and the signal on platform 3 was put back to red and we received the go-ahead.
I decided to have a bit of a breather so left the 144, which I discovered was now coupled to 153316, at Bare Lane.
Due to the delay in going in, it was also late coming out, although only by about ten minutes.
Surely nothing else could go wrong today.
Well, as it happened, no.
Given the option I would have gone in the 153, just because units with bogies give a better ride on the jointed rail.
Unfortunately, though, this was locked out of use, so it was back onto 144015.
A thirteen minute late arrival into Long Preston meant that I was going home three and a quarter hours later than planned.

Despite all the downsides, it had actually been a very enjoyable day, with eight new stations in the book.
Those pesky 68s are still on my radar, though :)

xotGD

Established Member
Now if only you'd done the sensible thing and sat on the 37 to Carlisle and back...

Established Member
Thanks.
One of the advantages of having a wide-ranging interest is that you can improvise and adapt as the day progresses.

Established Member
Wow you've not had a great deal of luck out there lately. I'd have cried, sorry I meant sobbed, getting 142017 instead of 68017.

Well at least you made some inroads on the blunts, another 2 into the Thou Club and cleared some 185s completely. I too love both liveries of 91110 and 91111, Very poignant indeed, even more so at the moment, being its the RAF's 100th Birthday. Shame the weather ruined the rest of your FONE.

Some great pics amongst your reports as usual. When you thought of me taking that pic of the 47, I bet it was along the lines 47403, will wet himself when he sees that pic

As usual cracking read. Thanks for sharing.

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least you will either get some money back from those delays or even a couple freebie Northern tickets from the farce on the coast.

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
47403 - you're not far out with my thoughts when I photographed that 47 :)
Kite - I never thought about a refund, not least because I'd really enjoyed the day.

Not unusually, I'm a bit behind with both reading and writing on here, but as Mrs 13 is currently in the bath I've managed to do a quick write up of the first move I did after then Cumbrian coast, so here it is.

Good Friday was a day I’d been looking forward to for some time.
This wasn’t because I’m a massive fan of Easter.
No, it was because it gave me the perfect opportunity to go after a station that was very difficult, if not impossible, for me to get on a normal day.
The station in question sits in a city centre and my planned move would involve driving to a place I would rather avoid during normal traffic conditions.
As it doesn’t have a weekend service, a bank holiday was required.

I left home at ten past six in the morning.
My idea had me at Guide Bridge for the 07.26 service to Manchester.
To miss that would mean my plan was out of the window.
I had no choice but to be on that service; you can imagine my unhappiness when, shortly after joining the M62 I realised I’d left my camera and phone next to the computer at home.
I wouldn’t have been happy about it, but I could have done the move sans camera.
My phone, on the other hand, was vital.
Not only do I use that to record my moves, it also contains lists of everything that I have and haven’t had.
There was no choice.
It was off the motorway at Brighouse and back home.

Leaving the car ticking over; I ran inside, grabbed my stuff and was back passing the Brighouse turn off fifteen minutes after my abrupt U-turn.
Could I still make it?
The M62 was quite busy, but smooth flowing.
The suburban roads in Greater Manchester were empty, which enabled me to arrive at Guide Bridge a good fifteen minutes before my intended train.

So, what was the station I was desperately after?
I’m sure some will have correctly guessed it was Ardwick.
I reached it on 323232.

Ardwick - tick :)
EMU 323232_2018.03.30_1_Ardwick by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I had no intention of walking to Piccadilly, instead my plan was to wait for the second of the two morning services that stop there.
I had forty minutes to enjoy the opulent surrounds of Ardwick.
My original idea had been to go to Stockport and cover the Stalybridge service, just for fun, following this with some more shack scratching.
By the time I left on 142062 (working with 142014) I had completely re-written my plan.
First of all, a low mileage 319 had been spotted heading towards the airport.
This, in itself, might not have made me change my mind.
The clincher, however, was when I viewed my most wanted 185 working a Cleethorpes service.

See:
DMU 185101_2018.03.30_1_Ardwick by Phil Wood, on Flickr

No way was I going to let that get away.
RTT was used to establish when these two units would be back in the area.
I just had to make sure I was in the right place at the right time.

I’d have to wait to see if my luck was in with those units, but it was definitely in with the next train to the airport.
This was 156421, another of those annoying units that I’d had in the dim and distant past but not since I started recording my unit moves.
Dud for the year 156441 was its partner in crime and I took the pair for a round trip in order to clear 421.

I’ve had all the 350/4 but three of them were still required for other things.
With TPE dispensing with them in the next couple of years, now seemed as good a time as any to have a first ride in 350410.
My previous two runs with it had been when it was paired with a sister that I had chosen to go in instead (including 350374 when TPE had hired it in to strengthen services for the Commonwealth games in Glasgow).
Naturally, I took this to the airport, where I was surprised to see another of my wanted units, 350405, was already stood in empty.
Once devoid of passengers, 410 coupled up to 405.
Given that 405 was a mileage requirement, being another of those sets only done on an Oxford Road leap prior to this, it had to be done to Piccadilly.
This now leaves 350409 as the only member of the sub-class below ten miles (as 405 did, it sits on 0.53).

I now had a twenty-minute wait for my low mileage 319.
This was 319375, last experienced from London Bridge to St Pancras back in 2013.
It should come as no surprise when I say I did it to the Airport.

My luck was still in for the journey back to Manchester.
Mileage and coach requirement 175003 doing the deed.

I now had time for a quick shack scratch before the appointment with my most wanted 185.
142031 took me to Gorton before refurbished 150211 brought me back.

150211 arriving at Gorton:
DMU 150211_2018.03.30_3_Gorton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I took up my position on the relevant platform.
Had I got my calculations right?
Why, yes I had :)

185101 was finally knocked off my list of units that were unrequired but wanted.
Not only that, by doing it to the airport and back I managed to clear its coaches as well, which was nice.
After that it only remained for me to take the same unit that I began the day on, 323232, to Guide Bridge and drive home.

The good fortune that had been with me so far today now disappeared; there had been a bad accident on the M62, which meant the East-bound carriageway had been closed for much of the day.
I took a long way home and a journey that should have taken me forty minutes ended up over three hours.
Still, that didn’t detract from the days’ gains which I was more than happy with.

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

That sounded like one successful day despite the shaky start . Good call on bagging Ardwick on a Bank Holiday - but you missed out on the dodgy footbridge, the salubrious neighborhood and the walk to Piccadilly. Also well done for catching up with 185101. Just a pity that your drive back over the Pennines was somewhat longer than planned.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good little day trip to bag the busiest station in Greater Manchester ;)

Plus a good few units as well :)

Shame on the additional time it took you to get home but I guess that can't be helped.

Denton flyer will be easier come May (for it be on a Saturday, I suspect passenger numbers for Denton itself will drop [based on the current service calling there at just after 09:30 when some rovers become valid, no need for a Stockport - Denton single to cover the gap.

(Although if you need them two shacks on the Ellesmere Port line, do them sooner rather than later as they will become harder with only one return Helsby - Ellesmere, rather than the current two)

Established Member
Keith - I scored the footbridge; I felt I couldn't spend time there and not :)
Also, it made for a good spot to get some photos.
I had a mooch around the local area but quickly returned to the platforms.

Kite - Reddish South and Denton are dud, I just fancied doing it for the novelty.
A Saturday morning spin isn't out of the question, though :)
Interesting gen about the Ellesmere Port line, I might have to give it some thought.

Not only am I behind in my report reading; I am, as usual, behind in my writing.
So here's the move after my Ardwick adventure.

The day after scooping Ardwick it was back to the Cumbrian coast line.
I might have been slightly distracted, but I hadn’t forgotten those 68s.

I began in a similar manner to the previous Saturday, by leaving home just before 6am and driving up past Skipton.
Last time I had gone to winning station Long Preston; this time I went one stop further, to Giggleswick.
The first traction of the day was 144019 and this carried me to Carnforth.

The service that I intended to get from Carnforth to Barrow is usually a 185, so I was a bit concerned when I saw that the PIS was informing passengers that it would be formed of two coaches today.
My concern evaporated when 156438, which I’d had my first recorded run on the week before, rolled in.
I had a chance to clear the coaches in this unit and I took that chance.
Once at Barrow I disembarked from 52438 and strolled over to view the loco on the 08.45 to Carlisle.
I was pleased to see it was 37424.

37424_2018.03.31_1_Barrow-in-Furness by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The last time I’d had this beast was from Edinburgh to Fort William, way back in September 1997.
It was nice to reacquaint myself with it after over twenty years.

Obviously, I didn’t want to do the same moves as last week; I had more winning shacks on the agenda.
I had an hour or so to enjoy the Tractor before I bailed at Drigg.

I most definitely didn’t enjoy the three quarters of an hour that I spent there.
The reason for this was the howling wind, from which it was impossible to hide.

I had been disappointed to read that 68018 had been removed from these services a couple of days prior to my trip, however my disappointment was short lived as its replacement was also required.
This was 68004 and I had no 142 based anguish this week :)

68004_2018.03.31_2_Drigg by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I took 68004 to Barrow, where I bailed for a quick photo of the loco on the North end.

68017_2018.03.31_3_Barrow-in-Furness by Phil Wood, on Flickr

A few minutes later 68017 was finally in the book.
Surprisingly, and slightly annoyingly, the coach behind 68017 was locked out of use.
The vehicle coupled to 68004 was a DBSO; this meant that there was just one and a half coaches for passengers – it was a bit busy.

Everything had gone to plan so far, surely there would be no misfortune today.
I wanted another shack scratch so left 68017 at Ravenglass where I had a plus zero onto a Southbound service.

The DMU wasn’t in sight when I alighted from the 68s and I made it across to the other platform in plenty of time.
Here’s where it all went pear shaped.
I got some shots of the approaching 156, with 68004 disappearing into the distance.

DMU 156486_2018.03.31_2_Ravenglass_& 68004 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I then held my camera in my left hand, along with my bag, whilst I looked on my phone to see if the DMU had anything to offer me.
It did – 52486 would mean I’d cleared 156486.
Nice.
I jumped on and found a seat.
My plan now was to have a round trip to Millom, just to kill some time, then finish with another run on 37424.

I kicked back and relaxed.
I’m sure that last photo I got is a good one, I’ll have a look.
My hand went into my pocket – it was empty.
I checked my other pocket.
No camera.
With a rising feeling of panic I went through my bag.
Not there.
I tried to remember exactly what had happened.
I had my camera and my bag in my left hand, with my phone in the other.
I’d pressed the door open button with a finger of my right hand and boarded.
At some point I’d dropped the camera!
I went to the vestibule and looked around – once again there was no sign of my camera.
It must have fallen from my grasp as I boarded.
It might still be on the platform at Ravenglass, but more likely it fell between the train and platform and was down on the tracks – probably smashed to smithereens.
I had intended to get off at Millom anyway, but now it was imperative I get back to Ravenglass.

Although I was in a state of distress I was still clear thinking enough to make sure I made a note of the next unit; which was good as it was another one of those that had no previous move recorded, 156429.
Once back at Ravenglass I walked up and down the platform, covering every inch of it and looking down onto the track.
Nothing.
I went to the Ravenglass railway and asked at their ticket office.
Again, nothing.
I was resigned to having lost it forever and cursed my obvious lack of concentration.

I still had to make my way home so when it arrived I once again boarded 37424, although I was considerably less happy than I had been in the morning.
The Syphon pushed me to Lancaster before I made my sullen way back to Giggleswick on 144019.

The camera?
Well, as you’ve probably guessed from the photos, the story didn’t end there.
After the bank holiday weekend I phoned Northern’s lost property service with little hope.
I was quite taken aback when I was told that the camera had been handed in and was at Barrow.
It appears that it fell from my grasp after I’d got on the 156 and had gone under a seat.

My wife and I were going away for a few days for our wedding anniversary and I was working right up until the day we went.
Luckily, she had a free day, so she graciously agreed to spend nearly a full day travelling from Bradford to Barrow and back, just to get our camera.
Sadly, when I got it into my sweaty palms I found that dropping it had caused terminal damage, but at least I got the photos from the SD card.

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the death of your camera, but at least you got the images back. The one at Ravenglass is excellent.

Need to get over to the coast and get 004 and 017 before they come off. Both required and not TPE-bound means they're high on my adjenda.

Established Member
A good day spoilt. Least you got the camera and SD card back. Small mercies n that. An excuse to buy another one I suppose. E-bay maybe the way.

Another cracking couple of reads though 55013.

Established Member
Thanks lads.

ash39 - they were exactly the same reasons that I had for going after the 68s.
47403 - Unfortunately, I didn't have time to loiter on E-bay; Mrs 13 and I were heading away for a long weekend the day after I got it back, which meant I had to get one pretty sharpish.

Talking of our trip, here's the gist of it.

It’s our wedding anniversary at the start of April and, as usual, this meant a few days away for me and Mrs 13.
We had decided to head somewhere exotic, so three nights at the Slough Travelodge were duly booked :)

Having ascertained that my chucking it on the floor had killed our camera, we agreed a replacement was vital.
We were heading out the next morning so didn’t have much time.
I did some research on-line and ordered a new one to be collected from Argos in Slough.
Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be available to pick up until Sunday morning, which would mean a photo-free Saturday.

Obviously, this was our wedding anniversary, so not a bashing trip.
Nevertheless, we were going everywhere by train so I knew something worthwhile could be roped in.

The weekend actually got off to a good start the day before.
Not only did my wife succeed in getting my photos back from Barrow but I had my first ever winner from Low Moor – my journey to work on Friday was on board 150101, which was most pleasing.
As I was working in Brighouse that day it also meant it went straight into the ten mile club.

I was hoping that our trip from Wakefield on Saturday would be a low mileage 91, but it was something equally as good, 90029, that pushed us to Kings Cross.

Paddington was reached via the underground, in 21316.

Our 2 together card saw further use as we bought a couple of three day Thames rovers to cover our stay.
I’d had a handful of green 387s on a previous trip but most were required and all were under ten miles, so I had high hopes for our first train using the rover.
My hopes were realised as it was winning pair 387153 and 387146 that proved to be our hosts for the run to new shack Twyford.

I’d never done the branch from there and it has a nice scenic place at the end of it, ideal for a spouse friendly bit of sight-seeing.

Another new number in my book was 165133, for that was the unit shuttling backwards and forwards to Henley-on-Thames.

A nice walk along the river, a visit to the local church to view Dusty Springfield’s grave and a visit to a café saw the time pass in a very pleasurable way and we were soon back at the station for a reunion with 165133, naturally clearing it for both coaches in the process.
The branch is quite short, so it remains under ten miles, though.
Another pair of required EMUs, 387140 and 387171 then carried us to Slough.

We walked to the branch of Argos we were to collect our camera from, just to see if it had arrived early, but alas it hadn’t.
After that it was time for an evening meal before retiring to our hotel room.

We had two places we wanted to visit on this trip, Blenheim Palace and Cliveden House.
The latter wasn’t open this weekend, so it was to the former we headed on Sunday.
First, however, we had to wait until Argos opened at 10am in order to collect our camera.

Winner 387145, working with dud-but-required-for-mileage 387134 took us to Reading.
Recently returned to service 221144 was our ride to Oxford.

We had purchased tickets for Blenheim using Tesco Clubcard points, increasing their value four-fold.
This was very good but it did mean we had to ensure we actually had them with us!
Mrs 13 had brought them from home in her handbag.
Just as 221144 was arriving at Oxford I said, half jokingly, “You have got tickets, haven’t you?”
She looked at me and said “No, I took them out of my bag last night. They’re on the bedside table”.
We left the Voyager, crossed over and boarded 165125 and 165109.

A trip to Slough and back for the tickets was out of the question as it wouldn’t give us enough time to enjoy the house.
Cliveden was shut, so what should we do?
Mrs 13 was a bit contrite, so she suggested we just have a ride on a couple of trains.
We were heading home early Tuesday afternoon and would have to use our Blenheim tickets on Monday, meaning that Cliveden would have to be binned for this holiday.

There was one remaining branch on the Thames Valley line that I’d never visited, so took her up on her offer and decided we would pay it a visit.
The 165s didn’t stop at Maidenhead, so we took them to Slough where we boarded dud for the day 387134 & 387145.

The traction for the branch shuttles was an unrequired DMU, 165136.
It might have been dud but I’d not been in either of its coaches before and it was under ten miles – my only previous experience of it being when I’d done it from Oxford to Radley back in 2013 and that time I’d sat in its companion, 165118.
We did this to the end of the line at Marlow where we bailed so that I could score the station, get a quick photo and move to the other coach, thus clearing it for everything.

New camera:
DMU 165136_2018.04.08_2_Marlow by Phil Wood, on Flickr

We left Maidenhead with our third run of the day on 387134/387145.
Today was our anniversary and we were going out for a meal in Windsor.
We made our way there on the shuttle service from Slough.
This was another winner, 165121 and the same unit took us back after our meal.
165121, like 165133 from the day before, is now cleared for riding in all vehicles but under ten miles.

Monday was our second attempt at Blenheim.
The day began with something new, my first ever run on an IET.
800014 took us from Slough to Oxford.

Oooh, something new:
EMU 800014_2018.04.09_1_Slough by Phil Wood, on Flickr

It was on electric as far as Reading, thence diesel.
My opinion of the 800s?
They’re rubbish.
This new unit looked and felt cheap inside, the door between first and standard class rattled the whole way, more so once the underfloor engine kicked, and a wall panel near where we were sitting suffered from the same issue.
My wife’s opinion didn’t differ from mine.
Oddly; the thing that people seem to be complaining about the most, the seating, didn’t bother me and I had no problems on the forty-minute journey.
I never thought I would say this; but, other than the dubious smell, I prefer Voyagers.

We could have caught the Blenheim bus from Oxford but I never miss the chance of a scratch, so we did 168110 to Oxford Parkway and picked the bus up there instead.
Several hours were spent enjoying the palace before we returned to Parkway on the bus.
Winning pair 172101 and 172102 were a nice addition to the haulage log, although the short run to Oxford means I’ll still have to seek them out at some future point.

DMU 172102_2018.04.09_Oxford Parkway_& 172101 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I’m not a fan of Voyagers and avoid them if possible; nevertheless I was down to only three required 220s so I must admit to a smidge of pleasure when 220003 pulled into Oxford on our train to Reading.
Two to go.
Railway wise, the day ended with 387154 back to Slough.

We headed home on Tuesday.
There wasn’t enough time to visit Cliveden but we had something lined up.
Winning pair 387152 and 387154 took us from Slough to Paddington, then it was 21437 to Euston Square.
We then spent a couple of hours looking round the small but interesting Wellcome Museum opposite Euston station.

As usual, I was hoping for a low mileage 91 back to Yorkshire.
Sadly not, it was 91117.

Never mind, this hadn't been a train move so I was pleased with the gains I'd made.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good news that you've got a new camera sorted and it sounds like you had a fun trip except the Blenheim ticket issue. Oddly enough I was reading this while passing through Slough on an HST from Reading to Padd. Slough definitely wouldn't't be my choice of destination though - what made you choose it?

Established Member
Thanks.
We chose Slough because it had a cheap Travelodge close to the station and was within easy reach of the places we wanted to visit.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Happy wedding anniversary :)

Sounded like a good little trip to Thames Valley land, reminds me I need to redo both Twyford & Marlow as I did them before I recorded unit numbers.

Established Member
Cheers - any wedding anniversary that involves one or more train trips is a happy one for me :)
Mrs 13 enjoyed it as well, so it was a great success.

Established Member
I've done one move since our anniversary.
Here's the gist of it.

The middle of April saw an event that I had been looking forward to for some time.
This was the ELR class 40 sixtieth anniversary gala.
All bar one of the surviving members of the class were in attendance.

Three of us were going, although various factors meant we would travel there separately and meet up later.
I decided to head over early and do a bit of tram bashing before meeting my mates.
The first move of the day was 144003, which was on the first West-bound service of the day from Low Moor.
Oddly, rather than the more usual Huddersfield, the destination of this train is Hebden Bridge.
At Hebden I had a few minutes to purchase a Manchester piece and I was soon on my way aboard 150224, which was paired with 158816.

We had arranged to meet on the 10.10 train from Bury.
It was still only 08.15.
Plenty of time to rope a few shacks in.

Dud 3030 was first.
As is my usual practice, I wanted to visit a stop that had an interesting name.
3030 was therefore taken to Besses O’ Th’ Barn.
Another tram arrived as I disembarked, this time it was a pair of duds, 3052 & 3055.
I jumped aboard and took them back one stop to Prestwich.
Another dud pair, 3033 and 3053, were my ride to another winning stop, Radcliffe.

I was a bit unhappy because I wanted a photo at Besses O’ Th’ Barn and my rapid transfer to another tram had prevented me getting one.
I decided to re-visit the place, this time on a pair of winners.
3010 & 3035 were vacated there and I managed to get a couple of shots before boarding 3027 and taking it to Whitefield.

There was time to get another couple of tram stops in the book.
First of all I did 3015 to Heaton Park and then 3058 through to Bury.

Bury, along with several stops along the line, had been visited before, both in the tram era and when the line was ruled by class 504 EMUs.
I’d no firm record of those moves, though.

After walking across the town centre, I reached Bolton Street station and purchased my day rover before heading down to the platform and meeting Steve.

In addition to the working locos, first of the class D200, aka 40122, was also in attendance; though sadly not working.
40122_2014.04.14_3_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Both of us needed one of the locos working today and it was booked to be on the 10.10.

This was a machine that I’d been unable to get when it had emerged from many years of rebuilding and was desperate to get it in the book.
Departure time came and we were on our way behind 40013.

40013_2018.04.14_2_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

ANDANIA was enjoyed to Rawtenstall and then back to Heywood, with our pal 45135 joining us at Bury.
Also joining us at Bury was 40145; which, unlike 45135, didn’t sit with us in coach 5040 but was added to the rear of the train :)
We enjoyed 40145 back to Ramsbottom where we bailed.

Although there were five 40s in action the ELR had seen fit to add a couple of other locos to the mix.
Both beasts, but our initial plan had been to just have Whistlers today.

As is often the case, our plans evolved and we decided to take 50015 from Ramsbottom to Bury in order to get 40106, which was due to replace the Hoover on the shuttle rake.

50015_2014.04.14_3_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

106 powered us back to Ramsbottom where we caught the next ex-Rawtenstall service.
This was worked by the other interloper, 55009.
Again a machine that we all love but one that we originally intended to ignore.
We did this because we wanted the loco that would be added to the rear at Bury.

55009_2014.04.14_3_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The Deltic was thoroughly enjoyed to Heywood before 40012 took us back the other way.

40012_2014.04.14_2_Heywood by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Having come via rail, it was now time for me to depart in order to ensure I arrived home at the time agreed with Mrs 13.
Steve and 45135 remained on the 40012 and I bade them farewell.

After the short walk across town I boarded a dud for the day tram.
No shack scratching this time, it was 3027 all the way to Victoria.

It was only a short wait before former GWR 150122 rolled in to work the Leeds service.
This was the third time I’d had this unit since it moved North.

I left the 150 at Halifax as it didn’t stop at Low Moor.
The train that did was ten minutes behind it and was worked by 158792.
Low Moor was reached just before 18.30 and I was home a few minutes later.

An excellent day, with a nice mix of classic locos and tram/shack scoring.

Established Member
I've done one move since our anniversary.
Here's the gist of it.

The middle of April saw an event that I had been looking forward to for some time.
This was the ELR class 40 sixtieth anniversary gala.
All bar one of the surviving members of the class were in attendance.

Three of us were going, although various factors meant we would travel there separately and meet up later.
I decided to head over early and do a bit of tram bashing before meeting my mates.
The first move of the day was 144003, which was on the first West-bound service of the day from Low Moor.
Oddly, rather than the more usual Huddersfield, the destination of this train is Hebden Bridge.
At Hebden I had a few minutes to purchase a Manchester piece and I was soon on my way aboard 150224, which was paired with 158816.

We had arranged to meet on the 10.10 train from Bury.
It was still only 08.15.
Plenty of time to rope a few shacks in.

Dud 3030 was first.
As is my usual practice, I wanted to visit a stop that had an interesting name.
3030 was therefore taken to Besses O’ Th’ Barn.
Another tram arrived as I disembarked, this time it was a pair of duds, 3052 & 3055.
I jumped aboard and took them back one stop to Prestwich.
Another dud pair, 3033 and 3053, were my ride to another winning stop, Radcliffe.

I was a bit unhappy because I wanted a photo at Besses O’ Th’ Barn and my rapid transfer to another tram had prevented me getting one.
I decided to re-visit the place, this time on a pair of winners.
3010 & 3035 were vacated there and I managed to get a couple of shots before boarding 3027 and taking it to Whitefield.

There was time to get another couple of tram stops in the book.
First of all I did 3015 to Heaton Park and then 3058 through to Bury.

Bury, along with several stops along the line, had been visited before, both in the tram era and when the line was ruled by class 504 EMUs.
I’d no firm record of those moves, though.

After walking across the town centre, I reached Bolton Street station and purchased my day rover before heading down to the platform and meeting Steve.

In addition to the working locos, first of the class D200, aka 40122, was also in attendance; though sadly not working.
40122_2014.04.14_3_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Both of us needed one of the locos working today and it was booked to be on the 10.10.

This was a machine that I’d been unable to get when it had emerged from many years of rebuilding and was desperate to get it in the book.
Departure time came and we were on our way behind 40013.

40013_2018.04.14_2_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

ANDANIA was enjoyed to Rawtenstall and then back to Heywood, with our pal 45135 joining us at Bury.
Also joining us at Bury was 40145; which, unlike 45135, didn’t sit with us in coach 5040 but was added to the rear of the train :)
We enjoyed 40145 back to Ramsbottom where we bailed.

Although there were five 40s in action the ELR had seen fit to add a couple of other locos to the mix.
Both beasts, but our initial plan had been to just have Whistlers today.

As is often the case, our plans evolved and we decided to take 50015 from Ramsbottom to Bury in order to get 40106, which was due to replace the Hoover on the shuttle rake.

50015_2014.04.14_3_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

106 powered us back to Ramsbottom where we caught the next ex-Rawtenstall service.
This was worked by the other interloper, 55009.
Again a machine that we all love but one that we originally intended to ignore.
We did this because we wanted the loco that would be added to the rear at Bury.

55009_2014.04.14_3_Bury by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The Deltic was thoroughly enjoyed to Heywood before 40012 took us back the other way.

40012_2014.04.14_2_Heywood by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Having come via rail, it was now time for me to depart in order to ensure I arrived home at the time agreed with Mrs 13.
Steve and 45135 remained on the 40012 and I bade them farewell.

After the short walk across town I boarded a dud for the day tram.
No shack scratching this time, it was 3027 all the way to Victoria.

It was only a short wait before former GWR 150122 rolled in to work the Leeds service.
This was the third time I’d had this unit since it moved North.

I left the 150 at Halifax as it didn’t stop at Low Moor.
The train that did was ten minutes behind it and was worked by 158792.
Low Moor was reached just before 18.30 and I was home a few minutes later.

An excellent day, with a nice mix of classic locos and tram/shack scoring.

Jealous isn't the word. Wanted to go but it's been an expensive month, 2 gigs and my daughter's birthday put pay to doing it. Got about 80miles on 40013, when it unexpectedly turned up on the 14.20 Newcastle to Liverpool, on 11.8.1984, here's Mark Slater's Excellent pic of it, leaving Man Vic

40013.jpg

had a fair few more off D200 up and down the S&C a couple of times, when it seemed to be bolted on to them turns. The rest are required.

When I was out cranking in the mid 80s, sadly the 40s were disappearing faster than a fart in the wind. Just seeing them in the North East was rare enough.

Last edited:

Established Member
47403 - that shot of 40013 is magnificent.
I had nowhere near enough 40s on the mainline.
I only saw 118 of them, which considering the area I lived is far too few :(

Sadly, there were no Whistlers involved in my next move.

A couple of weeks after the ELR class 40 event I was out for something completely different.
A few weeks ago Kite mentioned that a couple of stations in the North West would be having their already sparse service reduced even further.
He advised me to go for them sooner rather than later.
I resolved to follow that advice :)

A look at the timetable showed that this was easier said than done.
Three round trips in the morning and two in the evening.
The early ones are very early, with the last one of those starting its round trip at 06.36.

I made a plan that involved doing the last two services, although that would mean getting back home much later than I would like.
Added to this; in the week leading up to my visit the afternoon services had been cancelled completely on a couple of occasions.
I had visions of being stranded miles from anywhere on a Saturday evening.
Not a position of strength.

I’m an early riser and decided that I would go for the 06.36 if I was awake at 05.00.
The alarm wouldn’t be set for that early, though.
My making the 06.36 would be left in the hands of fate.
If I wasn’t up I would do one shack this week and return before the timetable change for the other.

I woke naturally at 04.49.
The 06.36 was on.
My drive was complicated by roadworks, including a complete closure for several miles, on the M62/M60.
Nevertheless, I arrived at Helsby a good quarter of an hour before the unit was due to depart.

I was the only passenger on 156489 and the guard was a bit surprised that I wanted Stanlow & Thornton.
I had no need to do the line to Ellesmere Port as this was done behind 60058 on a railtour in 1994.

I’d heard that security can be a bit keen here, but I saw no one during my eighteen minutes at the station, although I didn’t leave to go exploring.

156489 coming back:
DMU 156489_2018.04.28_3_Stanlow & Thornton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Three other people were already on board when I re-joined 156489.

Now I had a few hours to kill before the evening train I wanted.
I had purchased a Cheshire Day Ranger the day before at Bradford Interchange and intended to head to Manchester.
175102 took me away from Helsby.
Shortly after boarding I had a change of heart.
Why do Manchester area stations that I can get on a Wayfarer?
I therefore elected to leave the 175 just a couple of miles after I got on it.

Frodsham was a dud station, although my one previous visit had been when a few of us got off 47279 there back in 1990.
Different times.

A new idea had occurred to me and it was low mileage 175102 that took me away from Frodsham, heading West.

I count some stations, such as Retford and Tamworth, as two different ones (usually upper and lower), should they serve different, unconnected, lines.

One such station is Shotton, thus when I left 175102 at platform 2 I’d scored Shotton (Lower).
Shotton (Upper) joined the list nearly an hour later when I boarded ATW’s 150253, a nice mileage requirement having only previously been sampled to Cardiff Central, once from Queen Street and the other time from Grangetown.

It was now 9am and I’d already scored four shacks.

The 150 was taken to station score number five, Upton.

DMU 150253_2018.04.28_1_Upton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

A short wait followed which was ended by the return of 150253.
This time I left it at Neston.
Neston was chosen as I’d spotted a supermarket next door and needed supplies.

Twenty-five minutes was more than enough for me to purchase some grub; then I was once more on the move.
150256 was the power this time, through to the end of the line at Bidston.

Two minutes at Bidston allowed the driver, guard and me to change coaches :)
Other than request stop Hawarden Bridge, which will have to wait for another day, there was now only one station between Shotton and Bidston that I needed, so naturally that’s where I left 150256.
My traction away from Heswall was, unsurprisingly, 150253.
This was taken through to Bidston.

For a good few years I’d needed just one Merseyrail electric unit for sight.
I was quite pleased, then, when that very unit, 508123, rolled in going towards Liverpool.
That wasn’t the service I planned to do, though, but it was filed away for later.

The unit I did get wasn’t an outright winner but 507021 was a mileage and coach requirement.
I took this to West Kirby and back to Bidston, ensuring it was now cleared for all coaches and for ten miles.

Winner 507030 was next, this remains under ten miles as I left it at Meols.
This was because Meols was the place I would meet 508123.
I sat in coach 71505 as far as Liverpool Central (the train’s stated destination), then swapped to 64671 for the run back to Bidston.

508123 had gone from required for sight to membership of the ten-mile club.
That alone meant the day was a success.

EMU 508123_2018.04.28_6_Bidston by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I’d done it all the way back rather than bailing for a few more miles on 507030 behind it as the next Wrexham service would depart Bidston between the two.
I needed to be on that particular train to ensure I made the one I wanted to at Helsby.

It was 150253, again, that took me to Shotton (Upper).

A walk to Shotton (Lower) followed.
During my wait at the lower Shotton platforms I saw a 175 approaching.
I strolled down the path to get a shot and it was only the unit that had taken me to Shotton in the morning.

DMU 175011_2018.04.28_2_Shotton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

175108 then took me back to Helsby
I now had fifteen minutes before the Ellesmere service.
This evening it was worked by 150204, a unit that I’ve had on my daily commute on more than one occasion.

I took this to Ince & Elton.
I looked around for some facilities.
Had there been a toilet I would have made use of it.
Mind you, that would only have been so I could say I’d used Elton’s John :)

DMU 150204_2018.04.28_3_Ince & Elton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

150204 arrived twenty-two minutes after dropping me off and I was back at Helsby and my car by 15.42.

Home was reached just after 17.00.
A very successful and enjoyable day had been had.
I must finish by expressing my gratitude to Kite for the station gen.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
You must be the only basher to do those two stations that way, most of the time it be Helsby - Stanlow - Ince - Ellesmere -> Helsby/beyond :)

Good news on your final Merseyrail unit falling as well

Established Member
Yeah, that was how I planned to do it initially.
However, doing it the way I did meant I got home a bit earlier than planned, which always goes down well on the domestic front.
As the line was dud I had no worries about being left with Stanlow - Ellesmere required :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow that was a lot of catching up for me as the last one I read of yours was 31st March.
Some really interesting stuff in there 013, most enjoyable.

Established Member
Thanks.

I've a bit of a backlog to get through, so I might as well crack on with it.

The week after my trip to the industrial surrounds of Stanlow I was off to more visually pleasing climes.
I’d read earlier in the week that 68017 had been replaced on the Cumbrian coast.
Not only was the new loco required, it was once again a machine that isn’t destined for TPE.
That meant that it was at the very top of my vast needs list.

As usual; I wanted to get some new stations in, so decided on doing something a bit different to my last 68 chasing move.
I left home at 05.30.

The Settle & Carlisle line is one that I’ve done many times before, however most of the stations remained unvisited.
I’d fancied reducing my needs list for some time but never got around to it before today.
The plan was to rope a few in before getting the appropriate loco action.
It certainly helped that the weather was glorious.

My first unit of the day, formed of 153328 and 158906, was already stood in the platform when I pulled into the car park twenty minutes before its booked departure.
The service in question was the 07.14 to Leeds and the station was Ribblehead.
My run on the 153/158 combo was brief as I left them just five minutes after departure, at Horton-in-Ribblesdale.

158817 arrived just four minutes later and I was on my way to what became my favourite station visit of the day.
The idyllic surrounds of Garsdale saw my presence for just shy of an hour and a quarter.

I spent the time quietly sitting outside the station, observing and listening to the wildlife.
The (non-railway) highlight of the day being watching a red squirrel going about its business just thirty feet from where I was sitting. As he/she was scratching at the ground a cuckoo could be heard a few trees away.
Wonderful.

Red Squirrel_Garsdale_05.05.18_6 by Ruth Wood, on Flickr

All too soon other people began to arrive, making noise and causing the creatures to vanish.

Then it was back to railway matters with 158850 to Dent.
I had a lengthy wait here, in the event it was an hour and twenty minutes as the Carlisle train was running ten late.
Hoping for similar sights to the ones I’d experienced at Garsdale, I wondered away from the station.

The view down the valley is breath-taking but the highlight in terms of wildlife was not quite up there with a red squirrel.
It was a hare that was sat in the middle of the road when I walked around the corner.
Sadly, my sudden appearance frightened it and it bolted down the road and out of sight.

The reason the train was late was, according to the guard, simply the number of people squeezed on board.
It was 158906 & 153328 from earlier but, unlike then when I had been the only person on board, it was wedged when it reached Dent.
Luckily for me easily a couple of hundred assorted ramblers, boy scouts and other folk got off as I was getting on.
It was still fairly full; it must have been purgatory for people before the mass exodus.

My S & C shack scratching was now done for the day.
Some time was clawed back on the journey and Carlisle was reached just two late.
This was a relief as I only had twenty minutes before my train up the coast.

37402 was the beast pushing the 11.56 Barrow service.
An hour of 37 thrash was enjoyed before I bailed at new station number five, Harrington, home of the famous hump.

37402_2018.05.05_2_Harrington by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The loco I’d set out to get arrived bang on time twenty five minutes later.
This was 68003 and an enjoyable run was had back to Carlisle.

68003_2018.05.05_8_Carlisle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I now had a choice.
68004 could be done to new shack Dalston or I could wait a few minutes for a Scotrail 156 that would be working a Newcastle service.
This could also be taken to a new station and might be on my needs list.
I decided that, as the Dalston leap may well feature on a future move with my mate 45135, I would go for the possible winner 156.

Unfortunately, 156514 was already cleared for everything.
It did, however, take me to the fine station at Haltwhistle.
Another unit already dud for everything, 156426, took me back to Carlisle.

DMU 156426_2018.05.05_Haltwhistle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

158817 was my last unit of the day, carrying me the 60 miles from Carlisle to my car at Ribblehead.
In a reversal of the situation at Dent earlier, as I left a mass of people squeezed on board.
I was glad to be off :)

Home was reached by 18.00.
Another very enjoyable day out had been completed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.