• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Jarrett

Mr 13, that Capital caper sounded fun, until the ECML imploded. It's not as easy as it looks getting all those 458s and 707s for 10 miles as they seem to swap partners rather frequently.

And keeping on top of new stuff in your back yard keeps the embarrassment level down.. And you've reminded me that I oughtcheck whether I need any of the 170s that have gone over to Northern for 10 miles. A quick consultation with The Haulage book reveals that 1704746 is still needeed for 10.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Thanks chaps.

I've one more move to write about in order to bring things bang up to date.

I always keep an eye on the Cumbrian Coast comings and goings; as soon as I see that a required 68 has come out to play I make my plans.

This was the case last week; so Friday morning began with me driving to a new station, Settle.
I'd bought my Cumbria Day Ranger on my way home from work on Thursday, so I was ready to go.

It was a poor start - the last time I'd done the S & C and roped in a few shacks I'd had a couple of runs on 158906.
I'd had this same unit home from work on Monday; now here it was again.
It wouldn't have bugged me so much were it not for the fact that some of the 158/9s are on very low mileage.
158903 is on 87.42.
By the end of the day 158906 would be closing in on 500 miles.

Anyway, I had no choice and did it all the way to Carlisle.
I was hoping my next unit would be one of my wanted 156ers.
It wasn't; 156472 was stood in when I arrived.

There was a bit of time before it was due off and I noticed that there was a freight due though.
I mooched down to the end of platform 1 and got a few shots of 88008 on the Tesco service.

88008_2018.08.03_2_Carlisle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

A young chap was also photographing it and he kindly informed me that the large logo 66 was heading our way.
RTT told me that it would be there just four minutes before my unit left.
I couldn't miss that so didn't want to stray too far from it.
As it happens, 66789 was a few minutes early; I didn't have time to get a better position so could only manage this:

66789_2018.08.03_2_Carlisle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Still, at least I've now got a shot of it.

I then plonked myself aboard 156472 and took it to Wigton.
The guard saw my ticket, asked where I was getting off, then grinned and said "Going for the loco, eh?"
I sheepishly confirmed this :)

A short wait at Wigton saw me rewarded with my winner, 68005.
This wasn't just any winner - it gives me a run of 68001-68015 inclusive, which is nice.
Here's hoping 68016 appears on the coast in the not too distant future.

The weather wasn't brilliant and I fancied a nice long run on the 68s.
005 was in the book, so I could relax.
Its sister on the South end was 68017, this was thoroughly enjoyed all the way to Barrow-in-Furness.
At Sellafield I spotted 88002, a winner for sight.
Just 88005 to see now and I've caught up with 47403 :)
68005 took up the reins again and provided me with an excellent run back to Carlisle.

I've photographed 68s at Carlisle so many times that getting new views is difficult.
I was pleased to see the driver had stopped perfectly placed for me to get it from a different angle:

68005_2018.08.03_6_Carlisle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

After that it was back to Settle on, yes, 158906.
The day had gone swimmingly - most unusual for me on the mainline just recently.
I was relaxing in my seat, contemplating my day, when there was a bang, followed by the sound of something bouncing along underneath the train.
This was followed by a rapid stop.
Oh dear.
Not a deer, actually.
We had hit a sheep.
Bah.

Luckily (for the passengers, not the sheep), no damaged had been done (except to the sheep) and the prospect of a lengthy wait in the middle of nowhere (we were between Garsdale and Dent) was soon put to bed.
Arrival back at Settle was just a few minutes late; an hour later I was back home in time to watch an episode of Game of Thrones with my wife before bed.

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Excellent - one day I'll get to Carlisle... These reports are providing some inspiration!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Train 1, Shaun the Sheep 0 ;)

Good news on getting another 68 into your book, handy to know 68017 is still floating around on the coast.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve just had an epic catch up reading about all your trips (very well written as always).
Like 47403 I’m very interested in D0226. I’d like a run behind this unique (I assume it’s unique?) loco some day.

That T-Rex at Kings Cross looks like it could do some damage, I wouldn’t want to be sitting in a little wooden toilet in a disintegrating theme park on an island with one of those wandering around outside...

The class 70 on the railtour - I’ve heard them go by and they sound quite nice, are they up there with a 68 sound wise? They’re also Caterpillar engined aren’t they? Are they as thumpy?
I know everyone slates their looks, but if you shut your eyes and look the other way, they’re not so bad.

I loved the photo of Auriol in the rain.
I just found this picture (not mine) of the beast (numbered 97407 at the time obviously) at Warrington Bank Quay in 1985 complete with its hand made replacement nameplate...
61C96692-CD63-4A23-828D-1710C3B322E5.jpeg
Great to see how it looks now in blue still.

40013 Andania is hopefully out doing tests runs on the mainline in the next couple of weeks before its railtours later in the year. Who’d have thought it?
Exciting times eh?

Established Member
Thanks lads.
Cowley - that shot of 97407 really brings back memories, thanks for posting it.

45135 and I had a day out yesterday; it was the diesel gala at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway that saw our presence.
A winning loco was the star attraction but there were other locos that would prove very enjoyable.

I picked 45135 up and the drive to Wirksworth passed without incident.

Shortly after we had purchased the tickets our first train pulled into the platform.
This had 73210 on the front, with 33103 dead on the rear.

The stock was a three-car class 101 DMU, with the driving vehicles being the former 101692, once in a unique SPT livery (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/3741831270/36713349145/in/photolist-XWevCn-iPjVCU-iPhRso-21Nf1GZ - not my photo).

73210 took us through to Duffield, although the Crompton fired up and gave a bit of assistance shortly after leaving Shottle.

Looking good at Duffield:
73210_2018.08.11_2_Duffield by Phil Wood, on Flickr

33103 then took us back to Wirksworth and an appointment with our requirement.

Here it is arriving at the platform with the ECS for our first run:
33103_2018.08.11_2_Wirksworth_& 73210 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The loco we were after was 08605, painted red and carrying the name "WIGAN2".
We had this up the steep incline to Ravenstor.
At points this hill is a colossal 1 in 27.
The Gronk was pushing up and what a noise it made!
This journey saw it ensconced as my favourite 08 :)
The run back down the hill wasn't quite as spectacular.
The up was so much fun that we decided to do it again.
Once again it was hugely entertaining.

Back at Wirksworth:
08605_2018.08.11_3_Wirksworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

08605 wasn't the only 08 in action, 08704 was also out.
This was proving brake vans rides; it was dud so not a priority - we'd had for several miles at the ELR a few years ago.

We opted to flag it and have a full line run instead.
33103 took us to Duffield, with 31601 on the rear.
The 31 then took up back to Wirksworth, with the 33 being left behind at Duffield.

31601_2018.08.11_Wirksworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

We finished the day with a round trip on 31601, with the last uphill run from Duffield being the best run of the day.
31601 thoroughly entertained us cranks in the front coach.

After that it was the drive home; the journey passed with us talking about how it had been one of the best diesel galas we'd visited - a winner, some great running behind locos ideally suited for heritage lines and not so many locos that complicated moves had to be planned.

Last edited:

Established Member
Ooops, I forgot to answer Cowley's questions.
So Here goes.

There was a sort of step-sister to D0226.
D0227 was identical externally but had hydraulic transmission.
The 70s sound good, but aren't quite as beefy as 68s, in my opinion.

Established Member
Just caught up Mr 13, great reads and quality pics as usual.
It's been far too long since I had a Goyle for haulage. 33103 is a little beast too. I've probably flogged my story to death of 40013.
I keep putting off a trip on the Cumbria Coast for the 68s and with the 6 weeks hols in full flow, my window to get there will be when the bairn goes back to school.
68s sound nicer than the 70s, however you know they're coming, when theres a Colas 70 on the Oxwellmains-West Thurrock turn, when it actually runs, I can hear it coming for about a minute before it actually goes past the top of the street.

noddy1878

Established Member
I thought the gala was great too! I went up on the Sunday where the weather was not so kind but its great to see the EVR finding its feet! I wished I'd stayed longer but having got all I needed (the 08s and the 73) and a long 240 mile drive home I headed back shortly after 1500. Great photos by the way!

Established Member
Thanks lads.
The EVR gala was probably the best such event I've attended this year, it was most enjoyable.

Anyway, on with the show.

Less than two weeks after my previous Cumbrian Coast soiree I was once again drawn to that part of the world.
The gen that another required 68 had appeared was the driving factor.
I’m nothing if not predicable, so my Thursday commute home saw me popping into the ticket office at Halifax to purchase yet another Cumbria Day Ranger for Friday.

I no longer needed any S & C stations within reasonable driving distance, with only two on that line still required (Lazonby & Kirkoswald being the most southerly one – no prizes for naming my other requirement).
This made things a bit easier as I only had to drive to Shipley.
I was there well before the Carlisle train so decided to break the journey up a bit with some EMU action.

I’ve ridden in every coach of Neville Hill’s fleet, so wasn’t too bothered by the sticky digits.
All of them are also well over ten miles.
333004 was first, to Keighley; thence 333009 to Skipton.

158791 was to provide my ride through to Carlisle and we made it without reducing the sheep population.

In a repeat of my move from a fortnight before, I headed to Wigton; but not before getting a couple of shots of 88007 on the Tesco service.

Somewhat annoyingly, for reasons I’m unaware of, in the interim someone had decided to erect barriers prohibiting the general public from going to the end of the platforms.
They are quite a distance from the end as well, so there was no chance of a repeat of either the 88008 shot or the one of 66789.
Hopefully this is a temporary thing whilst some work is carried out, although there was no sign of either work or materials for such that I could see.

156483, unrequired for everything, was the traction today and once again it was 68005 that took me back to Carlisle a short while later.

68005_2018.08.17_2_Wigton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The loco that I had come for had replaced 68017 on the Barrow end of the rake.
This was 68033, one of the two that is due to become a TPE back-up loco at some stage.
I did think about not bothering due to this but decided it (along with the other reserve, 68034) might not work for TPE that often.
I might as well get it out of the way.

Here it is at Carlisle; the picture was taken from the new barrier - the equivalent on platform 1 is level with this and that platform goes much further South:
68033_2018.08.17_1_Carlisle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

68033 left Carlisle clagging like no 68 I’ve ever seen – not up there with a cold English Electric loco, but noticeable all the same.
I stayed on this all the way to the end of its journey; pondering my next move on the way.

68005 had joined the hundred mile club on the morning run from Wigton so I decided to flag its journey back North and plumped for something different.

Arrival at Barrow had been in plenty of time for me to get a few photos and then view the Manchester Airport service.

Pottering around West Yorkshire in recent weeks had seen me clear all the 185s for ten miles but I still require a few coaches for riding in.
Thus, I found myself in 54142 of 185142 for a run to Lancaster.

My plan now was to head down the WCML to Carlisle, do a unit to required shack Dalston and pick up 68005.
Yes, it’s possible to do Barrow to Dalston via Lancaster and Carlisle quicker than going direct.
This all depends on making a plus four at Carlisle and 221105 & 221112 arrived two minutes late.
I had a bit of a think and looked at RTT.
If the Voyagers lost more time I would miss the unit at Carlisle and end up hanging around for nearly ninety minutes before the 18.24 Leeds service.

However, there was an alternative that would see me getting a different winning station in the book.
My mind made up, I bailed from the Voyagers at Penrith North Lakes.
This move wasn’t without its risks; if it went well I would be home a good hour before the unit from Carlisle.
If it went wrong I would miss the Morecambe to Leeds train at Lancaster and have a lengthy fester for the next one.

Winner Pendolino 390040 was a few minutes late into Penrith.

Pendolino 390040_2018.08.17_1_Penrith by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Had I cocked up?
Some time was made up and I eagerly kept watch as we reached Morecambe South Junction.
390040 got there at 17.36, just one minute late.
The Leeds was due to pass through at 17.37 – I could breath a sigh of relief.

Once at Lancaster I made my way leisurely over to platform 2 and watched 150225 arriving from the seaside.
After that it was simply the 150 all the way to Shipley and an earlier than promised arrival home – never a bad thing when it comes to Brownie point accumulation :)

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
I've been keeping a keen eye on this thread (and a few others, I might hasten to add) since my time away from the forum and it is very reassuring to see that the quality of trip reports is as good as ever! Your trips to the Cumbrian Coast have me checking how many 68s I require and whether I can afford to spend money right now (21 needed, as it stands) the good old moves envy is beginning to bubble away beneath the surface again...

Established Member
Thanks Alex.
I think we all have periods of months/years when we're just not that interested.
For quite a few of us, though it never goes away and one day that spark re-ignites.
I didn't go out on the railway at all from mid 1985 for a couple of years and now really regret all those long-lost locos that I could have had.
I also had a shorter spell in the mid 90's when I did nothing for a few months.
Who knows if it'll happen again?
A hobby is pointless if you're just going through the motions and not enjoying it.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks Alex.
I think we all have periods of months/years when we're just not that interested.
For quite a few of us, though it never goes away and one day that spark re-ignites.
I didn't go out on the railway at all from mid 1985 for a couple of years and now really regret all those long-lost locos that I could have had.
I also had a shorter spell in the mid 90's when I did nothing for a few months.
Who knows if it'll happen again?
A hobby is pointless if you're just going through the motions and not enjoying it.

I will always regret giving the hobby up when I hit my teens as it wasn't long after that loco hauled passenger services disappeared and it would prove to be a missed opportunity to see 87s one last time as well as 37s and 47s regularly shaking platforms. It wasn't even that I fell out of love with it, it was simply a decision based on how others perceived the hobby and me being at an age where peer pressure took over.

I certainly fall into the bracket of someone who the interest never left and once the Internet arrived I was able to at least keep up with the goings on around the industry. Glad I'm back in the game and on the chase again now though

Anyway, more great reports and pictures 55013, particularly liking the pic of 68033 with the guards van open. Amazing how little things like that can bring back so many memories :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good day out Mr 13 :)

Shame about that barrier, might it be there as someone did something stupid & dangerous?

(I would say it's been too long since my last 68 had I not had number 13 last Sunday from the Wycombe which is High to the Bone of Mary)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a nice jaunt down the coast.

I've seen the barriers there before and suspect it's after one too many confrontations with some 'back in my day' type photographers going too far off the end. Hopefully they'll get shifted again.

Established Member
Thanks folks.
I did think the barriers might have been but there because of some crank shenanigans, but I hope not.

Anyway, more great reports and pictures 55013, particularly liking the pic of 68033 with the guards van open. Amazing how little things like that can bring back so many memories :)

Funnily enough, I had a fuzzy nostalgia feeling with that as well - all it needed was a BR bloke chucking a bag of potentially fragile parcels out onto the platform :)

The_Train

Established Member
Funnily enough, I had a fuzzy nostalgia feeling with that as well - all it needed was a BR bloke chucking a bag of potentially fragile parcels out onto the platform :)

Et voila.

Observe the airborne mail bag in this shot:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tunne...ZMY-jtPQ8r-7cjCfx-abPs2Y-4awV2K-CiggKf-92ryLH

I was never comfortable waiting for a parcel, just in case it arrived in more pieces than it should have :)

That's exactly the memory it conjured up in my mind. It was always a moment of excitement when the guards van doors were opened up as there was always a chance of it being something exciting being offloaded. Invariably, 9.9 times out of 10 it was just a mailbag or 2 being lobbed out of the train. Great times

Established Member
Great read again Mr 13, I need to get to get over to Carlisle again. I must admit seeing them guards van doors open, triggered the very same memories as many others, the pic of the 40 just reinforced it.
Cals Dad was a postie and I remember being on Central one evening, when they were unloading and loading the mail vans, seeing the bags being thrown onto the mail barrows, I remember him saying, I dread to think what would happen, if your Mam's expecting one of those commemorative plates, you see advertised in the free magazines with the Sunday papers. Sales in super glue probably went through the roof.

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
47403 - I've heard that the 68s will be finishing when the RHTT season kicks off, so it might be something to do sooner rather than later.

noddy1878

Established Member
I will always regret giving the hobby up when I hit my teens as it wasn't long after that loco hauled passenger services disappeared and it would prove to be a missed opportunity to see 87s one last time as well as 37s and 47s regularly shaking platforms. It wasn't even that I fell out of love with it, it was simply a decision based on how others perceived the hobby and me being at an age where peer pressure took over.

Ditto! Exactly what happened to me! Seriously glad I still had all my Platform 5 books so not all I had before was lost, but boy did I miss stuff! Just at an age when my parents would have let me go on my own on day trips too!

Mr 55! I agree with your thought process of going for that 68. I'd have done the same. Wish I could get to them on a day trip but can't! Glad the move you chose worked out!

The_Train

Established Member
Ditto! Exactly what happened to me! Seriously glad I still had all my Platform 5 books so not all I had before was lost, but boy did I miss stuff! Just at an age when my parents would have let me go on my own on day trips too!

I kept my books for many years after I'd stopped but I think eventually they became a casualty of a house move which has meant me starting from scratch now. Another regret but at the time I had no argument for keeping them. And yeah I was around that age as well, I remember doing a day at Reading by myself but that proved to be my only day out alone before I hung up my pad and pen for more 'socially acceptable' hobbies

Established Member
Inspired by 47403's Trans-Pennine farewell posting, and not wanting to taint The_Train's thread with my ramblings, I thought I would spend a bit of time reminiscing.

So, in the first of an occasional series of "on this day in history", here's a few choice moves from the 23rd of August down the years.

23/08/1991
An all-line rover.
47849 Paddington - Reading
DEMU Reading - Whitchurch
33114 Whitchurch - Waterloo
73201 Victoria - Gatwick
73201 Gatwick - Victoria
73209 Victoria - Gatwick (My last 73/2 and the reason we did 201 twice - I was chasing 209)
91005 Kings Cross - Wakefield
91007 Wakefield - Leeds

23/08/2002
On another all-line rover.
43042/43009 Didcot - Cardiff
37418 Cardiff - Fishguard
37418 Fishguard - Cardiff
153302/150265/153382 Cardiff - Bristol
43099/43098 Bristol - Plymouth

Not a bad couple of days :)

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Like the "On this day feature" so I'll add my two pence worth.

The time machine will take us back to Saturday 23rd August 1980
83009 New Street - Wolverhampton
86207 Wolverhampton - New Street
46035 New Street - Sheffield
Assemble on Platform 5 for the gen
31127 Sheffield - Rotherham
50608+50644 Rotherham - York
37250 York - Selby
31119 Selby - Sheffield
20001+20010 Sheffield - Nottingham (Footex)
20045+20113 Nottingham - Derby
25168 Derby - Nottingham
25203+25267 Nottingham - Derby
45127 Derby - Burton
25301 Burton - Derby
45150 Derby - Leicester
31321 Leicester - Nuneaton
81001 Nuneaton - Preston

Not a bad day's bashing!

Established Member
What a great day!
There's a few locos on there that I'll never have.
For a Kick off, I never had an 83 at all.
I like this idea so I think I'll start a new thread.

The_Train

Established Member
Inspired by 47403's Trans-Pennine farewell posting, and not wanting to taint The_Train's thread with my ramblings, I thought I would spend a bit of time reminiscing.

So, in the first of an occasional series of "on this day in history", here's a few choice moves from the 23rd of August down the years.

23/08/1991
An all-line rover.
47849 Paddington - Reading
DEMU Reading - Whitchurch
33114 Whitchurch - Waterloo
73201 Victoria - Gatwick
73201 Gatwick - Victoria
73209 Victoria - Gatwick (My last 73/2 and the reason we did 201 twice - I was chasing 209)
91005 Kings Cross - Wakefield
91007 Wakefield - Leeds

23/08/2002
On another all-line rover.
43042/43009 Didcot - Cardiff
37418 Cardiff - Fishguard
37418 Fishguard - Cardiff
153302/150265/153382 Cardiff - Bristol
43099/43098 Bristol - Plymouth

Not a bad couple of days :)

Don't worry about rambling on my thread, I welcome it as it distracts from my own rambling :E

Loving those moves but very jealous of the sort of traction you got pulled about behind

Established Member
I've been posting a lot of old moves recently, but that doesn't mean I've been neglecting the current scene.
I've done nothing that warrants a full trip report, but I have been out around Yorkshire chasing 91s for mileage.

91105 has become the 25th member of the class to join the club.
Six remain, in two distinct groups - 91108/119 & 126 are all over 950 miles so, assuming 119 comes back, should be achieved.
The other three, however, are more problematic.
91112/120 & 131 are all below 800 miles; I've had both 20 and 31 within the last week and the later is now my lowest on a mere 617.73.
With IETs now showing their faces on a more frequent basis it can't be too long before the first enters service and the 91s become vulnerable.
Will I make it?

I also took the opportunity to get a winning Voyager - it was empty, so 220006 was roped in between Leeds and Wakefield.
Just 220025 and 220034 to get now.

Established Member
I had another day out festering for appropriate 91s yesterday.

Having taken 158757 from Bradford to Leeds I began with a loco that has rarely featured in my haulage book.
I'd had just two previous runs on 90020, the first in 1991 from Preston to Birmingham New Street; the second and most recent being in April 2003 when it had pulled me from Euston to Birmingham International.
This was the first time I'd had it in Yorkshire and the first time I'd done it for less than a hundred miles.
It pushed me to Doncaster, where I took up my position on platform 4.

90020_2018.08.31_1_Doncaster by Phil Wood, on Flickr

It was an hour and a half before one of the wanted machines produced.
Luckily, it was one of my bottom three, 91112.
It was on a Leeds service, so a round trip to the city of birth was partaken of.
Still a long way short, but sixty miles closer.

Back at Donny and a slightly shorter fester this time - just over half an hour.
The lowest of the low, 91131, was a welcome sight.
Again, it was Leeds bound, so once more I did a round trip.
The sixty miles taking its total to 677.55, meaning it has jumped 91120 at the bottom of the heap.
120 is on 631.18 and has been almost solidly at the bottom since it first occurred to me to attempt the mileage feat a couple of years ago.

I had seen 91108 heading South earlier in the day.
If nothing better had produced, I knew that it would be heading for Leeds and that the thirty miles would see it cleared; however I considered the sixty miles on 91131 to be more valuable at this stage of the game.
It was still possible, though.
I had a minus five off 91131 at Doncaster and the South ECML was in chaos after an earlier points failure at St Neots.
In fact, 108 had been due to come to Leeds a bit earlier but a few trains had been cancelled and sets moved about.
Obviously, I was hoping 108 would be about ten late.
Sadly, it wasn't and I observed it leaving Doncaster just before I arrived.

Just 322.45 miles to go:
91131_2018.08.31_2_Doncaster by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I pondered doing the next one to Wakefield and getting twenty miles off 108, but as it is twenty-five miles short decided to leave it for another day.

The move finished with 91113, well over the thousand, back to Leeds and 158753 to Interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.