• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Due to life getting in the way, it's been a while since I've posted on here (goes and has a look - blimey, over a year :s ). Congratulations on getting all the 91s in the thousand club, that's quite an achievement. <:D

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
I certainly feel very chuffed with the achievement :)

Keith - Mrs 13 is a star, no doubt about it.
Although I must say that for many of my moves I do try and be home by early evening so we can spend that time together.

I have been so busy of late that trip reporting has had to take a back seat.
Happily; amongst work, domestic activities and assorted other time consuming things I have done a few decent railway moves.
I've tried to find time to do the write-ups and seem to just about manage a paragraph when something comes up and I have to abandon the session.
As I'm so far behind I thought I'd catch up with some more condensed reports.
So here goes.

Returning to the chronological approach, here’s the first move I did after my London trip.
When Mrs 13 arranged to take a disabled lady away for a couple of days at the seaside I knew there was only one thing I could do – book a train trip :)
I fancied something different to the usual London move so looked around for an appropriate alternative.
It turns out there’s a new Travelodge in Solihull and it had a good price.
Sorted.
I left home on Friday morning and had a relatively easy drive to Solihull.
Here I opted for a West Midlands Day Ranger as opposed to the cheaper Day Tripper.
This was because I had one or two things planned that would take me outside the smaller area.

The moves unfolded thusly:

68014 Solihull – Moor Street
172213/216 Moor Street – Smethwick Galton Bridge
350373 Smethwick Galton Bridge – New Street

I would have gone further on this (it was a Walsall service) for the mileage but the unit was taken out of service at New Street with a fault.

323218 New Street – Lichfield City
323216 Lichfield City - Shenstone
323211 Shenstone – Litchfield TV (High Level)
Lichfield TV (Low level) – Rugby
350245 Rugby - Coventry
153356 Coventry – Kenilworth

DMU 153356_2019_04.26_2_Kenilworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

153356 Kenilworth – Coventry
221104 Coventry – New Street
350372 New Street – Penkridge

EMU 350372_2019_04.26_1_Penkridge by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Penkridge – New Street
68009 Moor Street – Rowley Regis

68009_2019_04.26_Rowley Regis by Phil Wood, on Flickr

172333 Rowley Regis – Solihull

Then it was a short drive round the corner to the brand spanking new Travelodge.

Day 2 began with the obligatory full breakfast before heading round to the station.
This time it was a day tripper, confusing the bloke in the ticket office who remembered me from the day before.
Then, he'd helpfully queried my purchased of the ranger, thinking I might be wanting a day tripper.
Today he asked if I wanted another ranger and was a bit perplexed when I wanted what he'd suggested the day before :)

The moves:
168001/219 Solihull – Snow Hill
172341 Snow Hill – Smethwick Galton Bridge
323214 Smethwick Galton Bridge – New Street
350119/108 New Street – Canley

EMU 350108_2019.04.27_Canley_&amp; 350119 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I ended up having quite a lengthy fester at Canley as there was an obstruction on the line at Northampton.
This meant that everything was delayed, then a couple of services that should have stopped there missed it out.
Eventually I got away on a train that was going to terminate short, but at least I was on the move.

350123/242 Canley – International
323205 International – New Street
323215 New Street – Coseley

EMU 323215_2019.04.27_Coseley by Phil Wood, on Flickr

323215 Coseley – Smethwick Rolfe Street

As might be supposed, a few of the dud units that I had over the two days were mileage requirements.
I'd spotted one such EMU and should have made it at Rolfe Street but 215 was late and I didn't make it over in time for my target, 201.
My wait there did give me the chance to get a pleasing shot of 66427, though.

66427_2019.04.27_2_Smethwick Rolfe Street by Phil Wood, on Flickr

323214 Smethwick Rolfe Street – Dudley Port
323201 Dudley Port – New Street
350237 New Street – Wolverhampton
350244 Wolverhampton – New Street
158833 New Street – Smethwick Galton Bridge
172213 Smethwick Galton Bridge – Moor Street
172331 Moor Street - Solihull

So that was that, another enjoyable move over with.

Last edited:

Established Member
My first move in May was the KWVR gala.
I decided to drive to Shipley and get the train in as parking in Keighley can be bothersome.
There where a couple of things on my list, including the prototype HST power car, which I'd not managed to sample before now.

My moves (with 45135 and our mate Steve joining me for many of them) were:

333005 Shipley – Keighley

Here I got a nice view of the visiting 88 shortly after it arrived.

88009_2019.05.04_2_Keighley by Phil Wood, on Flickr

41001 Keighley – Oxenhope
20031 Oxenhope – Keighley
41001 Keighley – Oxenhope
20031 Oxenhope – Keighley
88009 Keighley – Oxenhope
47727 Oxenhope – Keighley
88009 Keighley – Oxenhope
31163 Oxenhope – Keighley
333007 Keighley – Shipley

Due to excessive wedgedness there wasn't much opportunity for photos, so I decided to drive to Haworth on the Sunday morning and get a few shots.
31263 in its new RTC livery and the GBRF adorned 50 were top of my list.

31163_2019.05.06_02_Haworth_&amp; 25059 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

50007_2019.05.06_05_Haworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

37075_2019.05.06_1_Haworth_&amp; 25059 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Established Member
Two great reads there Mr 13. Extremely jealous of the Cats for haulage, been a while since I had one for haulage too. Like the pics, especially the one of 37075 and 25059.

Established Member
Thanks.

I've had time this evening to knock out a proper write-up for my next move, so here goes.

My wife is heavily involved with local politics.
She also understands and appreciates the benefits of railway moves to my mental health.
So when she had to attend a function in mid-May she suggested I had an overnight trip.
I snapped her hand off and looked for a suitable Travelodge.
London was a bit expensive at a few days’ notice and besides, I fancied doing something different.
A suitably cheap hotel was found just a few miles outside Ely.
An Anglia move it was :)

I was up and out fairly early and was at Ely station by 9AM.
After I had purchased tickets for both today and tomorrow I had a bit of time before the next Norwich bound service, so I decided to get a station score in early by going South.
The move got off to the best possible start with winner 387120 taking me to Cambridge North and another required 387, 387128, taking me back.

EMU 387128_2019.05.17_1_Cambridge North by Phil Wood, on Flickr

My third winner on the trot was 158812, which I took to Norwich and what I considered to be the start of the move proper.
None of my required GA units were in sight so it seemed like a good time to have a bit of 90 action.
90013 pulled me to Diss before 90015 pushed me back.
I have a soft spot for 90013 as it was the first 90 I had for haulage, back on January the 4th 1989.
Just the thirty years ago!

Here it is with a loco that's even older:
90013_2019.05.17_2_Norwich_&amp; 37800 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Now it was time for some diesel loco action.
I’m sure it doesn’t take too much thinking about to realise what I’m referring to.
37405 and 37716 were top ‘n’ tailing the Yarmouth service.
I wanted another new station so chose to bail at Acle.

37716_2019.05.17_3_Acle_&amp; 37405 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

A bit of a fester followed before the Tractors returned and took me back to Norwich.
As the train pulled into the platform I observed the next London departure and it was a pair of 321s.
I’d never done a Dusty out of Norwich and what’s more the front unit was a winner.
I duly strolled round to join 321311.
Its sister, 321340, was on the Norwich end.
Diss was once again my destination.
It was then back to more usual Norwich traction which came in the form of 90012.

I had needed a single GA 153 for several years, so I was more than a little pleased to observe 153306 stood in waiting to head to Lowestoft.
I looked at the timetable and realised that I had a plus three for the loco hauled set at a winning station.
Thus, the dogbox was taken to Reedham.
Sadly, 153306 let me down and the 37s were in when I bailed.
I didn’t even try running over, I just got my camera out and got a shot of 37405 as it and 37716 departed.
I also managed to get a pic of the 153, which I wouldn't have done if I'd legged it over.

DMU 153306_2019.05.17_2_Reedham by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I now had about an hour to hang around for 153306 to return.
As it happens it was decent weather and the locale was pleasant enough.
I’d still rather have been on the Tractors, though.
Back at Norwich I decided I’d had enough for today and headed back to Ely on 170201.
After a visit to Tesco for some supplies I went off to find my hotel and plan for tomorrow.

It occurred to me that a station famous in crank circles for its low usage and poor service was only ten miles away from where I spent the night.
I did a bit of research and found that it is served by a train in each direction on a Saturday.
Not only that, there is car parking – this latter fact surprised me no end.

I fully expected the car park information to be dud gen, but sure enough when I rolled up at Shippea Hill there was, indeed, somewhere to leave my motor.
I enjoyed the peaceful surrounds of the station before making my intent clear to the driver of 170204 and scooping a rather big little station in.

DMU 170204_2019.05.18_1_Shippea Hill by Phil Wood, on Flickr

My plan now was to visit a few stations between Shippea Hill and Norwich.
Shack score number two was Wymondham, which was where I left 170204.
I had a bit of time to kill here, so went for a mooch around and ended up enjoying the peace and quiet of the local cemetery.

Eventually I returned to the station and a reunion with 170204.
This time I went to Brandon.
170206 then rolled in.
This proved to be mildly frustrating as I needed one coach, 50206, of this unit but it was locked out of use!
I had to settle for a run in a rather wedged 56206 instead.

The 170 left me behind at Attleborough.
Once again I had a bit of time to kill but I had something on my mind.
Earlier in the day I had observed a group of obvious cranks heading towards Norwich.
I had a look on RTT and saw a strange working, this was Norwich – Ely – Kings Lynn – Liverpool Street – Norwich.
My feverish little mind ticked over and from somewhere I dragged up a memory.
The short set was booked to do a tour.
As it happened, this tour was due through Attleborough before my train arrived.
Nice.
I remained on the down platform and managed to get some decent shots of 37405 and 37409, which had replaced 37716 on the rear, along with adding a couple of coaches.

37409_2019.05.18_Attleborough by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Eventually the demic 170206 reappeared and I was on my way to Thetford.
Here I noticed something that caused me a bit of concern.
I knew 170204 and 170206 were on the Norwich – Cambridge circuit, but what was the third unit?
The PIS at Thetford wasn’t encouraging as it told me that this service was cancelled.
Why was this concerning?
Because this was the diagram that stopped at Shippea Hill in the evening.

158774 arrived and took me through to Norwich, all the while various scenarios played through my head.
Whilst at Norwich I saw that the next Cambridge was up as on time.
170201 came off the shed but went into the stabling point.
Then 156418 rolled in.
This was the Cambridge!
It was still fairly early and this wasn’t the Shippea Hill train but I breathed a bit easier as it now appeared something would be working it.

I decided to get another couple of new stations in before finishing my day, so headed off to Lingwood on 156412.
The same unit then brought me back to Norwich.

DMU 156412_2019.05.18_3_Lingwood by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Worstead was my final winning shack of the move.
This was reached on 156419.
156409 returned me to Norwich and I strolled off the platform to see what was occurring as I had a bit of time.
I happened to looked at the hand written notice board and saw that the service I wanted was cancelled!
156418 had returned from Cambridge and was put straight to work on one of its more usual routes
Damn.
I now had a choice.
I could go to the information counter and try to argue my point that they should stop the next service an hour later or I could cut my losses and just jump on the 158 that was stood in waiting to depart.
I decided on the latter and soon 158854 was whisking me South.

Once at Ely I decided that, once again I had a choice of a possibly lengthy debate with station staff or just going and getting a taxi.
I got a taxi.
The driver was a bit perplexed, both at me leaving my car in such a remote spot and the fact I was now going to drive to Bradford :)
An uneventful drive home followed.
All-in-all it had been a very good couple of days, with only the Shippea Hill farce putting a slight dampener on proceedings.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Nice to read another trip report involving getting 37716 for haulage.

Just me that has missed out then!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice. That K&WVR gala looked good. I’ve still not been on the line yet, hopefully will some time though.
Did you enjoy 41001?

Established Member
xotGD - It's a funny old game, isn't it?
I'm just about the only crank in the country who's never had 37059, despite the fact it's worked numerous times over the last few years.

Cowley - We were sat right at the back of a very wedged train, so I can't really comment on 41001, other than to say that the 20 on the rear kept giving it a helping hand...

xotGD

Established Member
xotGD - It's a funny old game, isn't it?
I'm just about the only crank in the country who's never had 37059, despite the fact it's worked numerous times over the last few years.
Well I did score 37706 this week on my own doorstep, so you win some, you lose some. It is a sport, after all!

I had 37059 on 9th July 1983 - Durham to Newcastle on the ex-Yarmouth!

Established Member
Greetings folks.
I've been kept away from the forum for a few months due to various issues, but now I'm back.

While I've been away I have managed to keep my railway scoreboard ticking over; holidays in Dorset and Shropshire got me a few units and a good number of shacks but most of my winners in late 2019 came about because of the vast amount of new trains that have appeared in my local area.
Northern's 195s & 331s, LNER's Azumas and TPE's 802s have given me some scratching opportunities.
Oh, there have been a few runs on their 68s as well :)

To get me back in the swing of things, here's what I did on Friday.
Sadly I forgot to take a camera.

My day began with a walk to Low Moor where I boarded 153351 for the run to Huddersfield.
Here I picked up my first winner of the day, 68021.

It's great being back to scoring stuff locally.
I took this through to Leeds and looked for my next requirement.
This proved to be 195007, which was on a Manchester Victoria train.
The service at Low Moor has improved considerably since the timetable change and this working gave me a plus two there for another red pen opportunity.
195105 was the unit in question.

Once back at Leeds I kept my eyes peeled for further scores and I didn't have long to wait.
195003 was on a Nottingham service, so I found myself heading to Wakefield Kirkgate.
I was hoping for another back so hung around for a while, rejecting a 150 and 144011.
My patience was rewarded with 195010.

I'd no sooner disembarked from 195010 than I was aboard another score; this time I was off to Huddersfield on 802214.
Having had six winners in a row it was now onto something dud.
I wasn't unhappy, though.
It was 68023, a loco that I'd scored from Huddersfield to Garforth on New Year's Day.
This time I elected to forego the extra miles and bail at Leeds.

It was now time to be thinking of heading home.
My wife is currently off work having had a major operation back in October (one of the reasons I've been absent from the forum), so I didn't want to be too late back.
The winners didn't stop coming, though.
195011 took me to Low Moor.
I was going to walk home but winner from this morning 195007 arrived as I was leaving the station, so I decided to clear it by riding in coach 103007 to Bradford Interchange and getting a bus home.

In other news, I am taking early retirement.
Come April I will be a free man.
I will still have four months on my M-Card so I'll be spending an awful lot of time in West Yorkshire, hopefully getting the units ticked off then racking up the 68 mileage :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome back! That was a nice surprise to see in my Watched Threads this morning :)

Congratulations on taking early retirement too, as long as the financial side of things works out then I can't say I blame you.

Hope your wife recovers from her operation soon too!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Good to see you back on here. I hope Mrs 55013 is recovering well.

It is nice to have a batch of new stuff turning up to chase... :)

Established Member
Thanks chaps.

My wife is well on the road to a full recovery and returns to work in a couple of weeks.
I'm taking early retirement for the simple reason that I'm burnt out; I plan to take the summer off then look for something completely different to what I've been doing for the last 32 years.

In the meantime, I'm still as busy as ever and have nothing new to report.
Next week we are on holiday near Carlisle and I'm sure some train travel will be enjoyed.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to hear your wife is recovering well, is she the sort to be ready to go back to work and things back to normal? Or is she more than glad to be having the recovery time and dreading it?

Hope the holiday in Carlisle is a good one, enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.