• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

57 to Teignmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was thinking of getting the 57 hauled train down to Teignmouth this afternoon, I've been meaning to do it for a couple of years now but not managed to. It got me thinking that the last time I went on a loco hauled service train in this country was probably in about 1998(47 hauled sleeper train in Scotland).
I've been to plenty of diesel galas and on a few railtours behind diesels over the years but when I thought about it I realised I'd never been behind a 57.
Quite looking forward to it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I did enjoy it thanks. It ended up being my wife, three of our teenagers and the dog too, went down to Teignmouth behind 57603 which I'd never had when it was 47349 so that was a winner (had about 300 of the 47s back in the day but 47/3s were rare), front coach was 2+1 seating, I'm assuming ex 1st class? Ever so comfortable, even the teenagers loved it, felt a bit like a continental train.
Didn't really take photos, took one of us just about to leave Exeter and a nice arty one of the boys looking out at the view in silhouette.
At Dawlish Warren we passed a WCR 47/57 combination on a railtour coming back from Cornwall which was a bit of a bonus.
What I observed with the 57 was the smoothness and quietness of the acceleration, it sounded nice but very quiet compared to a 47 on a much longer train obviously, also the speed it picked up which was surprisingly quick.
I don't know if we'll get a chance this year but hopefully if we can get a night free we're going to catch it to Cornwall and stay in a B&B somewhere one night.

Last edited:

AJM580

I
At Dawlish Warren we passed a WCR 47/57 combination on a railtour coming back from Cornwall which was a bit of a bonus.
What I observed with the 57 was the smoothness and quietness of the acceleration, it sounded nice but very quiet compared to a 47 on a much longer train obviously, also the speed it picked up which was surprisingly quick.

The railtour you saw was the NENTA charter from Plymouth to Norwich with 47854 leading and 47851 on the rear. We left Plymouth at 1707 and reached home at 0105 - a long day indeed. Had a ride on 57603 that day and can agree that the 57 was very good off the mark - the sound it made leaving Newton Abbot was immense

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The railtour you saw was the NENTA charter from Plymouth to Norwich with 47854 leading and 47851 on the rear. We left Plymouth at 1707 and reached home at 0105 - a long day indeed. Had a ride on 57603 that day and can agree that the 57 was very good off the mark - the sound it made leaving Newton Abbot was immense

That is a long day. I didn't realise they were both 47s. The one leading sounded great going past though I must admit. Power on, proper load, turbo singing. Lovely.
I guess I'm a bit old school but it reminded me of waiting behind a 47 at the platform in the Warren as another one flew through on the centre roads in the 80s. Or a Peak of course.
Out of curiosity how long did you have in Plymouth and what did you do? Had you been there before?

Just realised what you did while you were there, you had a ride behind 57603!

Last edited:

AJM580

That is a long day. I didn't realise they were both 47s. The one leading sounded great going past though I must admit. Power on, proper load, turbo singing. Lovely.
I guess I'm a bit old school but it reminded me of waiting behind a 47 at the platform in the Warren as another one flew through on the centre roads in the 80s. Or a Peak of course.
Out of curiosity how long did you have in Plymouth and what did you do? Had you been there before?

Just realised what you did while you were there, you had a ride behind 57603!

Sorry for the late reply - the trip we were on gave 4 hours in Plymouth, just enough to do the 57 trip and have a nose around Plymouth. It's by no means my first trip to Plymouth as during the mid 80's I spent several holidays there - so sampled haulage behind the likes of 50s, 45s, 33s. Happy days:D

Status
Not open for further replies.