• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

59/2s going up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
GB Railfreight would certainly be a good bet if this is true; they currently seem to be undergoing an aggressive period of fleet expansion, snapping up whatever they can lay their hands on, presumably in anticipation of HS2 construction contracts being awarded.

cossie4i

GB Railfreight would certainly be a good bet if this is true; they currently seem to be undergoing an aggressive period of fleet expansion, snapping up whatever they can lay their hands on, presumably in anticipation of HS2 construction contracts being awarded.
It's true today, but it might change tomorrow lol

pdeaves

Established Member
More likely GBRF as they will by anything. They bought 59003. Is there one rumoured for the NRM.
I personally would hope that the NRM takes one of the original Yeoman examples rather than a 59/2, purely because of the development history associated with them. However, I'm not in charge!

pieguyrob

My money is on GBRF, with Phoenix in second and ROG in third. With DRS a late entry 100/1 shot.

hwl

Established Member
Given the Mendip ones are going to transfer ownership to Freightliner, I'd reckon they might want the DB 59s as well. For DB the 59s will now be in a very small pool.

cj_1985

DB are in a very good position with the /2s... I'd be surprised if GB and Freightliner weren't eyeing them... Both already having class 59 interests within their respective fleets.

Got to be better than trying to sell them when the biggest question is which scrap yard wants to gut them

With Freightliner it probably depends more on what their medium/long term fleet for the mendips look like... overhauled 59s, 66/6s or 70s?
For GBRf... the 59/2s have a distinct advantage over 59003 in that they have a 75mph top speed over 60mph of the 59/0s, which could make it easier to diagram them on other services, IF they wanted to use them on non heavy haul/aggregate work

Chris125

Established Member
I personally would hope that the NRM takes one of the original Yeoman examples rather than a 59/2, purely because of the development history associated with them. However, I'm not in charge!

I think it's safe to assume that the NRM would only ever be interested in the much more important and widespread 66, I don't see how they could justify a 59 as well or instead.

Last edited:

alangla

I think it's safe to assume that the NRM would only ever be interested in the much more important and widespread 66, I don't see how they could justify a 59 as well or instead.
Not even 59005 for the heaviest UK train record?
I do agree that given what seems to be a restricted amount of space, a 66 would be a much better choice

sprinterguy

Established Member
Given the Mendip ones are going to transfer ownership to Freightliner, I'd reckon they might want the DB 59s as well. For DB the 59s will now be in a very small pool.
That's interesting, I hadn't realised that. It would seem to put Freightliner in the frame for the 59/2s.

I wonder whether that'll mean another new livery for what has proven a very colourful class over the years.

cossie4i

Freightliner already own the 59/0s and 59/1s, they are rumoured to have paid Mendips 1 million pounds each. I'm sure that's the sort of figure DB would hope to get for the 59/2s

Grizz

59/2s, along with 66s are regularly used to run on the Central division of the old southern region, I guess so that they can nip along at 75mph in between the frequent passenger units. They are regularly used to Newhaven. There is a new rail served sea dredged aggregates terminal being built at Newhaven, with three paths allocated each week day to and from Acton. The 'bottom ash' from the incinerator forming the up flow. There is due to be a bagged aggregate plant and concrete block manufacturing plant. I would guess that GBFR would be a good bet as they have the yard at Tonbridge and they do operate working from Hoo to Tonbridge and Newhaven, sadly no facilities exist on the central division anymore. Who actually owns the 59/2s? Banks or rolling stock leasing companies? Or DB itself?

hwl

Established Member
59/2s, along with 66s are regularly used to run on the Central division of the old southern region, I guess so that they can nip along at 75mph in between the frequent passenger units. They are regularly used to Newhaven. There is a new rail served sea dredged aggregates terminal being built at Newhaven, with three paths allocated each week day to and from Acton. The 'bottom ash' from the incinerator forming the up flow. There is due to be a bagged aggregate plant and concrete block manufacturing plant. I would guess that GBFR would be a good bet as they have the yard at Tonbridge and they do operate working from Hoo to Tonbridge and Newhaven, sadly no facilities exist on the central division anymore. Who actually owns the 59/2s? Banks or rolling stock leasing companies? Or DB itself?
DB own all the loco they operate, their 66s were originally Angel owned but EWS took up the option to buy Angel out.

Grizz

Ah that explains a lot. Looks like Freightliner may have got them....contract to shift track ballast from Merehead etc?

ExRes

Established Member
Hopefully they'll be sold with a new warranty, 206 failed today and had to be dragged back to Westbury by the DCR 56s

Grizz

image.jpg HaHa, not again. It failed at Newhaven on 14th May with the Ash train. 66150 was sent down the following day to rescue it. Photo at Hamsey AHBC, East Sussex. Made quite a sight grinding up Hamsey bank. Didn't see 206 again for a few weeks. Had 66001 on the Acton to Newhaven last Friday and 66002 today.....doubt we'll get 66003 tomorrow though....

Grannyjoans

Freightliner already own the 59/0s and 59/1s, they are rumoured to have paid Mendips 1 million pounds each. I'm sure that's the sort of figure DB would hope to get for the 59/2s

Christ £1 million each, the 59's haven't lost any value considering how old they are. A bit more than a 58 or a late 56 which were built around the same time, or the Pacers and 150s.

Grizz

Christ £1 million each, the 59's haven't lost any value considering how old they are. A bit more than a 58 or a late 56 which were built around the same time, or the Pacers and 150s.

£1 million each, I guess not too bad a price for unique assets with little options for replacements. Can't buy anything new off the shelf from Europe or the rest of the world, unless it's more second hand 66s. Production ceased on just about everything else that will fit our poxy pathetic loading gauge and we have to be pollution free by 2050. Happy Days. Suddenly see why they might stil be worth a few quid.

How are they for emissions? Is there any difference between 59s and 66s on this score? Hydrogen Tri-Modal freight locos anyone? Sounds a bit pricey and again nothing off the shelf from the rest of the planet.

Nick Ashwell

Hydrogen Tri-Modal freight locos anyone? Sounds a bit pricey and again nothing off the shelf from the rest of the planet.

Someone has to design and build locos powered that way first, why not the UK if we can sell the tech abroad?

Grizz

Good call! We should design, develop and sell the tech to others.

We used to build locos and rolling stock in the UK but you probably know the story there. There is no reason why we don't other than the entrenched political will / political ideology over the years for us to do this for ourselves. I suspect that as a nation we a taught not to value our railways, when do you ever see a positive railway story in the UK press, other than a non threatening 'steam train'. I spend a few weeks each year in Germany and Denmark and generally there does seem to be a national pride in their railway systems, both passenger and freight.

So I guess my point was that the reason these locos are still £1 million each, even after all these years, is we aren't building anything new so if you need a loco with the specific characteristics you're going to have to go second hand. 59s in Freightliner Orange?

The class 799 (319) tri-modal unit (750v DC, 25K AC and Hydrogen) looks interesting. I wonder what transferable tech is applicable to freight locos.

Realised gone well of topic....apologies.

ic31420

Good call! We should design, develop and sell the tech to others.

We used to build locos and rolling stock in the UK but you probably know the story there. There is no reason why we don't other than the entrenched political will / political ideology over the years for us to do this for ourselves. I suspect that as a nation we a taught not to value our railways, when do you ever see a positive railway story in the UK press, other than a non threatening 'steam train'. I spend a few weeks each year in Germany and Denmark and generally there does seem to be a national pride in their railway systems, both passenger and freight.

So I guess my point was that the reason these locos are still £1 million each, even after all these years, is we aren't building anything new so if you need a loco with the specific characteristics you're going to have to go second hand. 59s in Freightliner Orange?

The class 799 (319) tri-modal unit (750v DC, 25K AC and Hydrogen) looks interesting. I wonder what transferable tech is applicable to freight locos.

Realised gone well of topic....apologies.

Just consider the fact were going to lose at least half a vehicle length to drag around 3 vehicles. How much space would we need to have sufficient power to haul 3000T.

CNG might be a way forward for heavy freight.

hwl

Established Member
Just consider the fact were going to lose at least half a vehicle length to drag around 3 vehicles. How much space would we need to have sufficient power to haul 3000T.

CNG might be a way forward for heavy freight.
My calculations came in at 3 container wagons of the Hydrogen to match 66 range (possibly more wagons for low RA).
LNG rather than CNG is the way to go as you don't get methane slip. LNG just needs a 20' tank container. LNG can also co-fuel with diesel at up 96% LNG but switch back to diesel.

Grizz

Oh dear, I have only seen a couple of photos so hadn't realised that this was the case. I guess it is similar to the old Thumper DEMUs with the power units above the floor using up half a coat length. CNG is interesting, are there any freight locos using this tech already?

hwl

Established Member
Oh dear, I have only seen a couple of photos so hadn't realised that this was the case. I guess it is similar to the old Thumper DEMUs with the power units above the floor using up half a coat length. CNG is interesting, are there any freight locos using this tech already?
CNG no, LNG yes.
Florida East Coast has converted to 100% LNG in the last 18 months and BNSF and UP have trialled LNG when diesel prices have gone through the roof (and then stop when they drop) with both GE and EMD locos (710 engines).
Other countries also looking at LNG.

Grizz

Wow the tech is being developed then. But as I drivelled on about earlier the problem is we are still massively disadvantaged due to our inherited loading gauge. However that doesn't affect the tech it just means we have to find ingenious ways to squeeze it in and of course we can't buy off the shelf like everyone else.

Oddly I spose that the only real exception to this in recent years was the class 66, and this was because the UK bought them in such large numbers. The rest of Europe piggy-backed the design because their generous loading gauge allows this.

Chris217

To think we used to be the pioneers of
Railway engineering.
We invented the train!
Look at where we are now!
Looking elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.