• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5O29 Shepherds Bush - Streatham Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
A quick query about this service.

While making my merry way round on a Sutton job today I saw an empties Southern 377 (which I believe must have been the above job) between Herne Hill and Tulse Hill on the Down Holborn. I have never seen a Southern unit on this section of track before and I spend a lot of time working trains on it! :lol:

I know this is an ECS move but even so, the route it must have taken (over to the South Eastern side of Victoria's routes via Longhedge Junction) would have ended up with it quite out of its way for Streatham Hill sidings before heading up the Leigham Spur from Tulse Hill.

I appreciate ECS can go all over the place but it seems like a lot of route knowledge to keep up for Southern drivers on what can not be a much used diversion? I'd just assumed it would head down the mainline and across to Streatham Hill the way that MKC - ECR services do.

No room via Clapham Junction, not a Southern driver or just something I've not seen before?! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
A quick query about this service.

While making my merry way round on a Sutton job today I saw an empties Southern 377 (which I believe must have been the above job) between Herne Hill and Tulse Hill on the Down Holborn. I have never seen a Southern unit on this section of track before and I spend a lot of time working trains on it! :lol:

I know this is an ECS move but even so, the route it must have taken (over to the South Eastern side of Victoria's routes via Longhedge Junction) would have ended up with it quite out of its way for Streatham Hill sidings before heading up the Leigham Spur from Tulse Hill.

I appreciate ECS can go all over the place but it seems like a lot of route knowledge to keep up for Southern drivers on what can not be a much used diversion? I'd just assumed it would head down the mainline and across to Streatham Hill the way that MKC - ECR services do.

No room via Clapham Junction, not a Southern driver or just something I've not seen before?! :lol:

Maybe you have just been unlucky, certainly last set of earlies southern and gatex were coming through in service with passengers onboard, also we had a job where you were held at the signal under the palace's to let the afternoon ECS come off the spur and down the hill to herne hill.

user15681

Established Member
Southern units on the up or down Holborn are rare as you say. The only time I've seen it myself was fairly recently, actually, on a Sunday. For one or two weekends recently the route through Herne Hill was used as diversion when there were engineering works around Clapham Junction or Battersea Park, wasn't it?

There are a few ECS taking that route every day, most of them to Stewarts Lane. I don't know why 5O29 or the others take that route, but I'd say it's just a case of something you've not seen before... they are elusive!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Maybe you have just been unlucky, certainly last set of earlies southern and gatex were coming through in service with passengers onboard, also we had a job where you were held at the signal under the palace's to let the afternoon ECS come off the spur and down the hill to herne hill.

Southern have had full Sunday diversions from East Croydon via Tulse Hill / Herne Hill to Victoria this year on a number of occasions due to engineering work. Buses have run from Victoria to West Croydon during these diversions.

W230

Established Member
Maybe you have just been unlucky, certainly last set of earlies southern and gatex were coming through in service with passengers onboard,
Hmmm. Now you mention it I may have seen a Gatwick Express round there before.

...also we had a job where you were held at the signal under the palace's to let the afternoon ECS come off the spur and down the hill to herne hill.
I thought that signal always came off? <D

westcoaster

Established Member

TEW

Established Member
There was a fatality last week on the WLL at Clapham Junction. On Saturday IIRC. A couple of the Milton Keynes-South Croydon trains were diverted via Herne Hill in service then.

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
There was a fatality ladt week on the WLL at Clapham Junction. On Saturday IIRC. A couple of the Milton Keynes-South Croydon trains were diverted via Herne Hill in service then.

Indeed, these two... 2O15, 2M17

grid56126

Along with 5O29, 5M01 / 5M45 run the other way keep up drivers route retention. Gatwick Express drivers all sign that way and they have some ECS workings for route retention (5Y82, 5Y90, 5Y81 and 5Y91). These tend to be as required though with 5Y82 being the most likely to run.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wasn't this down service the route taken by the WLL parliamentary while it was still running? So that means it has been running a few years now?

user15681

Established Member
Wasn't this down service the route taken by the WLL parliamentary while it was still running? So that means it has been running a few years now?

Come to think of it, yes it does take the same route as the WLL parliamentary did (ended June 2013?), between Latchmere No.1 and Longhedge Junction. But it then goes further and takes the Down Holborn between Herne Hill and Tulse Hill, which the WLL parly never did.

TEW

Established Member
That is the way the ECS for the WLL parliamentary ran though. In fact these two ECS moves are just the original ECS moves extended through to Kensington Olympia/Shepherds Bush. So when the parliamentary finished all that changed is that the services now run ECS rather than in service.

user15681

Established Member
That is the way the ECS for the WLL parliamentary ran though. In fact these two ECS moves are just the original ECS moves extended through to Kensington Olympia/Shepherds Bush. So when the parliamentary finished all that changed is that the services now run ECS rather than in service.

Oh right, I see. My mistake!

W230

Established Member
Interesting. Thanks for the info gents. I actually saw it again today anyway - will have to pay better attention in future! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.