• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5x Class 153 conversion to bike and baggage vans for Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Well, that's kinda the point I was making - the problem on exists when you try to use stock that won't fit. Seeing as there are plenty of 156s, there isn't a problem!
They really need to get the 158 issue sorted. 156s with ironing boards are not an acceptable standard of accommodation for journeys of that duration.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
They really need to get the 158 issue sorted. 156s with ironing boards are not an acceptable standard of accommodation for journeys of that duration.
Or, replace the seats in the 156s - that way everyone benefits.

On Moderation
Or, replace the seats in the 156s - that way everyone benefits.
Not going to happen, is it, given that they are currently installing the ironing boards in the 156s.

In any case, if there are issues with Class 153 clearance, the sensible thing to do would be to clear the route for 153s and 158s at the same time.

marks87

Established Member
Not going to happen, is it, given that they are currently installing the ironing boards in the 156s.

In any case, if there are issues with Class 153 clearance, the sensible thing to do would be to clear the route for 153s and 158s at the same time.

Not if the clearance works are substantial, and the solution to the 153s is the relatively straightforward task of shaving a bit off the step boards.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Have you sat on the ScotRail ironing board? They use a different, thicker base cushion to others, and it makes a huge difference. I've sat on the two side to side in the Class 385 mockup and they are hugely more comfortable than the original (Southern/Thameslink) style one.

Journeyman

Established Member
Have you sat on the ScotRail ironing board? They use a different, thicker base cushion to others, and it makes a huge difference. I've sat on the two side to side in the Class 385 mockup and they are hugely more comfortable than the original (Southern/Thameslink) style one.

I use the 385s daily, and the seats are bloody awful - just about bearable on a half hour journey, but five hours on one doesn't bear thinking about.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I use the 385s daily, and the seats are bloody awful - just about bearable on a half hour journey, but five hours on one doesn't bear thinking about.

I hate to think what you'd reckon of a Thameslink or Southern one, then. Or the alleged "First Class" seats in the 385, which are the same rubbish as used in Standard on the Class 800 but with leather and an extra armrest.

physics34

Established Member
keep complaining about the seats to the TOCs and DfT fellas...this needs to be sorted......hard seats on long journeys are completely unacceptable

On Moderation
Yes, I have. Whilst the 385s are better than the 700s, I still would not say they are acceptable for any journey over an hour or so.

mcmad

Is it not the same seats being fitted to the 158's at refurb too?

anamyd

On Moderation
...so what will happen to all the 153s that ScotRail aren't getting in the new decade, considering they will have to be PRM compliant but any such modification would further reduce passenger carrying capacity in what are already single car units that are less relevant/appropriate than they used to be...?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
...so what will happen to all the 153s that ScotRail aren't getting in the new decade, considering they will have to be PRM compliant but any such modification would further reduce passenger carrying capacity in what are already single car units that are less relevant/appropriate than they used to be...?

Scrap. They are no use on their own due to the capacity reduction PRM modifications would cause. You could I suppose stick them bogless between two halves of a 156, but 156s must surely be on their way out soon.

HLE

Established Member
What baffles me is the forum obsession with inserting them into the middle of a 156. Going to cause more headaches than simply coupling up to one end.

Just bury the no.2 end cab in and job done.

AndrewE

Established Member
What baffles me is the forum obsession with inserting them into the middle of a 156. Going to cause more headaches than simply coupling up to one end. Just bury the no.2 end cab in and job done.
Isn't it because it avoids the need to install the RETB equipment in the 153 cabs?

InOban

Established Member
There is portable RETB kit which is used by visiting trains on tours etc.

On Moderation
What baffles me is the forum obsession with inserting them into the middle of a 156. Going to cause more headaches than simply coupling up to one end.

Just bury the no.2 end cab in and job done.
The obsession (as you put it) is also twaddle. There was a piece in Modern Railways a month or two back where Alex Hynes made it clear on what the deployment would be when all five are converted: two on the West Highland, two north of Inverness and one maintenance spare. It is self-evident from that: they are not being buried in the middle of 156s.

GrimShady

Established Member
Any information yet on which WHL services will get these?

How will they be advertised?

Two won't be enough to cover all the Oban/Ft Bill trains.

InOban

Established Member
They will, can only, operate on the 'oban only' services, because of the six-coach limit. If at some time in the future there are Fort William-only trains, then they could operate to there. But the overcrowding issue is to Oban.

Any news on when the first one is due to appear?

There's 3 x 153s in at Brodie Engineering in Kilmarnock. 1 of them, an ex GWR one, is currently undergoing corrosion rectification work. Last time I passed the yard it was sitting outside the shed and had the lower outer body skin removed to allow access to the framework.

HLE

Established Member
Where did the other 2 come from? We've got lines where they could provide much needed capacity tomorrow rather than sit in a depot for the next 12 months. Appreciate i've been shot down for mentioning this point before, but tell that to the passengers & traincrew that just about squeeze on to the damn things day in day out.

I get the idea of releasing one, to get it off the ground, but three?!

najaB

Veteran Member
We've got lines where they could provide much needed capacity tomorrow rather than sit in a depot for the next 12 months.
And what lines could two 153s actually make a meaningful difference to?

Dave91131

Where did the other 2 come from? We've got lines where they could provide much needed capacity tomorrow rather than sit in a depot for the next 12 months. Appreciate i've been shot down for mentioning this point before, but tell that to the passengers & traincrew that just about squeeze on to the damn things day in day out.

I get the idea of releasing one, to get it off the ground, but three?!

To my knowledge 377 was first to to Kilmarnock, followed by 370 then 305.

The other 2, 373 and 380, are both still in service with Northern - I was on 373 about 3 hours ago on the 2059 Sheffield to Lincoln, it should be Wednesday's Barton-on-Humber flyer.

Cheers.

HLE

Established Member
And what lines could two 153s actually make a meaningful difference to?

Short term? Both Nuneaton & Leamington branch lines. Make it a double set - would only need them for the next few months before 172's take over. Even the crew working it can't get on sometimes.

Some of the Rugeley's are the same for loadings. One or two diagrams have a 153+170 combo, a spare unit would help on those lines. Wouldn't need crew training either, unless the they are significantly different to the ones we have. Not too sure on the Worcester loadings into new street.

Daresay there's other routes in the country that could benefit with them for the next few months.

But no, they sit in a siding. Probably won't be in service in Scotland until next year. I get why one has been sent, but three?

Status
Not open for further replies.