• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5x Class 153 conversion to bike and baggage vans for Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steamie Boxes

Apologies to be a pain, does anyone have a picture of the mock-up of the livery, I remember seeing one a while ago

S N Barnes

I'm on the group involved with developing this vehicle - we may see one on display when GLQ has its grand re-opening fairly soon (March?)

adamedwards

Still hoping for one tandem space for riders with disabled partners. Does anyone know if this is happening as ScotRail never gave me an answer.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Wouldn't be too difficult to set up, rip the seats out and paint them blue..

Leasing costs shouldn't be too costly considering the age of the 153.

Would be good PR and really useful in the summer, good luck with it I say, hope to see it happen!
Also now PRM a legal requirement on all trains so they should be cheaper again

Last edited:

Leeds1970

it will be interesting to see how inserting a 153 into a 156 works out, as although the units are supposed to be compatible to is well known that this is not quite the case. if you stick a 155 or 153 on the rear of a 150/156/158 you can feel them drag the 155/3 for the first couple of seconds due to slower brake release and power up--
on a personal note externally - visually it will look a mess

DelW

Established Member
Not unique there though - on the Southern, the 455s incorporating a 508 trailer, and the (in)famous 3R "tadpoles" with their mix of widths, come to mind.

Journeyman

Established Member
Not unique there though - on the Southern, the 455s incorporating a 508 trailer, and the (in)famous 3R "tadpoles" with their mix of widths, come to mind.

Have we even determined whether they are forming centre vehicles? I didn't think they were.

On Moderation
it will be interesting to see how inserting a 153 into a 156 works out, as although the units are supposed to be compatible to is well known that this is not quite the case. if you stick a 155 or 153 on the rear of a 150/156/158 you can feel them drag the 155/3 for the first couple of seconds due to slower brake release and power up--
It has long since been established that they are not being inserted into 156s. Apart from anything else deployment has been stated as 2 West Highland, 2 Far North/Kyle and 1 maintenance spare. That doesn’t fit with reforming units.

It has long since been established that they are not being inserted into 156s. Apart from anything else deployment has been stated as 2 West Highland, 2 Far North/Kyle and 1 maintenance spare. That doesn’t fit with reforming units.
Is that going to be enough? I'd assumed it was 5 just on the West Highland line.

InOban

Established Member
The only diagrams which can use them are the two oban-only ones. Those which split at Crianlarich would be too long if they added an extra vehicle.

Mathieu

The only diagrams which can use them are the two oban-only ones. Those which split at Crianlarich would be too long if they added an extra vehicle.
I wonder if they could lock the rear out of place and bring the bikes through to the end of the 156, the busiest for bikes are the 12:11 and 12:23 trains

CEN60

So little cycle facility on the Scotrail HST's to actually get your bike to Inverness - but plenty space with an extra carriage on a 153 once you have actually got there - good joined up thinking there Scotrail!

Mathieu

So little cycle facility on the Scotrail HST's to actually get your bike to Inverness - but plenty space with an extra carriage on a 153 once you have actually got there - good joined up thinking there Scotrail!
You’d think they’d put bike racks in the power cars

CJSwan

You’d think they’d put bike racks in the power cars
There are bike racks in the power cars, and if they ever get approved for use (in regards to who loads and unloads, locks and unlocks the power car side doors, station staff or guards) will only be for end to end journeys... I think it’s all been covered previously in the ScotRail HST Introduction thread though. I say no more for fear of causing thread drift haha

Macwomble

Design for the refurbed 153s now released

The design for Scotrail's first active travel carriage has been revealed.

The carriage is designated for carrying bikes and large sporting equipment and will run along the West Highland Line.

The design on the outside of the carriage is by Scottish artist Peter McDermott.

It depicts Highland scenery and landmarks including the Glenfinnan monument and viaduct, Skye Cuillin mountain range, Ben Lomond, and the castle on Loch Awe.

Five Class 153 trains are being transformed to carry up to 20 bikes.

Scotrail said this will "enhance" the existing services on the West Highland Line.

The first carriage is expected to be completed later this year, and will come into service once staff have been trained up.

Tom Smith, of Scotrail, said: "Peter McDermott's eye-catching design pays real homage to the beautiful and tranquil West Highland Line."

Attachments

• whl153.jpg
    whl153.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 141

adamedwards

Nice. But I still don't know if I can put my tandem in so I can holiday in Scotland with my disabled partner.

The I7C trains are reported to be getting Trailer Guard Second carriages, not least as someone has realised this means the Guard doors can stay manual so cutting costs. The TGS used to take tandems on LNER, so please ScotRail, can you be disabled friendly to tandem couples on your "new" trains?

High Dyke

Established Member
I've been made aware of this picture (courtesy of Network Rail). Seemingly the units have now been route cleared.

Attachments

• Cl.153.png
    Cl.153.png
    548.6 KB · Views: 537

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
153’s route cleared and also the 158’s are cleared now too.

When have 158's been cleared for the West Highland Line since? No offense to 156's but if I ever do a trip on this line then it's either a loco-hauled charter train (steam or diesel) or the Caledonian Sleeper. Or a 158.

I like 156's but over 5 hours in one might be pushing it a bit.

I'm not sure where I read it but I believe Scotrail have said they won't operate 153's on there own.
Are these likely to be inserted into the 158's?

py_megapixel

Established Member
I've been made aware of this picture (courtesy of Network Rail). Seemingly the units have now been route cleared.
Oh dear - stupid bike rack where you have to hang the bike by the front wheel. Why couldn't they have blocked off the windows on one side, installed a proper horizontal bike rack, put the racks for bags and (seemingly) ski equipment above the bike storage and then had the corridor going down the other side?
You'd think they would be able to get this right on a carriage fitted out specifically for this purpose, but no...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's a render. Looks good, though. Almost European - particularly the ski racks!

Oh dear - stupid bike rack where you have to hang the bike by the front wheel. Why couldn't they have blocked off the windows on one side, installed a proper horizontal bike rack, put the racks for bags and (seemingly) ski equipment above the bike storage and then had the corridor going down the other side?
You'd think they would be able to get this right on a carriage fitted out specifically for this purpose, but no...

It would appear to me that the left hand side is marked out for non-hanging bike use if you prefer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.