• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5x Class 153 conversion to bike and baggage vans for Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamedwards

Very pleased to get confirmation from ScotRail this week that there is a tandem space on each 153. So tandems can get north of Glasgow for the first time. Vital for disabled riders on the second seat. One day we might have a train to Inverness that can carry us.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Very pleased to get confirmation from ScotRail this week that there is a tandem space on each 153. So tandems can get north of Glasgow for the first time. Vital for disabled riders on the second seat. One day we might have a train to Inverness that can carry us.

They were fine up until the late 80s before the dmu revolution started. We were on a tandem holiday in 1987 as kids. One of them fell apart somewhere near the Oban branch so my dad and brother jumped aboard a mid afternoon 37/4 on proper stock off one of the smaller stations. We left on the working tandem ahead of them and they overtook us hanging out the window en route to Oban bike shop to batter it back together. So this a modern railway concept as for the first hundred years or so the railways were OK on that front.

adamedwards

The worst for us was three years ago you could take one on LNER, but now the Azumas are in, no can do. But as this thread is about the 153s I will look forward to a trip to Oban in 2022.

InOban

Established Member
There are now 9 drivers at Oban and new recruits at Ft William and Mallaig. You don't need that for the current service levels.
One long serving Oban driver has just retired. They may have been increasing the depot to anticipate retirals.

scotraildriver

Established Member
One long serving Oban driver has just retired. They may have been increasing the depot to anticipate retirals.
When people retire they are replaced like for like. Oban now have 9 drivers for 3 diagrams. And he hasn't retired yet. A guard retired on Wednesday but no drivers.

InOban

Established Member
I was going by a pic on FB! But I'm glad to hear that the establishment is complete.
If I'm not mistaken the only likely service to receive a 153 this summer is operated throughout by a Glasgow crew?

scotraildriver

Established Member
I was going by a pic on FB! But I'm glad to hear that the establishment is complete.
If I'm not mistaken the only likely service to receive a 153 this summer is operated throughout by a Glasgow crew?
This year yes due to Covid and training restrictions. Only Queen St crew will be trained on them and will be the 10.33 and 16.36 Qn St - Oban services. The long term plan is to split the trains so the 153s can run to Oban and Ft William independently with no Crianlarich split.

adamedwards

Is the increase in drivers mentioned above at Oban and Fort William in anticipation of the increased services? I guess this is a separate thread

wobman

On Moderation
There's a plan for TFW to get 1 from ScotRail as a trial and to help with strengthening services over the summer

Highlandspring

Established Member
It was a double set (i.e. 2 car) that went over. I‘ve been told the media launch for the 153s will be on the morning of 14th July at Queen Street.

duffers2324

Yeah witnessed one of these running 3T09 while on the 1312 from Possilpark to Anniesland, did a double take at first and then realised that it was the 153's

rdlover777

this may of already been answered but are the 5 being converted retaining the engines or well they be non powered trailers?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
this may of already been answered but are the 5 being converted retaining the engines or well they be non powered trailers?
Definitely retaining the engines, I wouldn't fancy their chances out of Queen Street without an engine much let alone over the WHL. And you need something to power a light to shine on all those bikes in the dark... ;)

Wyrleybart

Established Member
There's a plan for TFW to get 1 from ScotRail as a trial and to help with strengthening services over the summer
Why would WAG want to do that, unless it is to acquire some similar bikekarts ? With only 24 seats for a 23m bodyshell they would just be platform eaters surely ? I wonder how many TfW platforms cannot accommodate a 69m 3 car DMU, let alone anything bigger.

berneyarms

Established Member
It does commit the (in my opinion) cardinal sin of blocking the windows with livery/advertising though. (I'm assuming however that those windows are the ones that would be obstructed by the bicycle racks anyway)
They are indeed where the racks are, so it isn't really an issue.

wobman

On Moderation
Why would WAG want to do that, unless it is to acquire some similar bikekarts ? With only 24 seats for a 23m bodyshell they would just be platform eaters surely ? I wonder how many TfW platforms cannot accommodate a 69m 3 car DMU, let alone anything bigger.
Because TFW desperately need more DMUs and this could be a good temporary solution, all TFW drivers sign them & they can straight into service as a trail

ashkeba

Established Member
Why would WAG want to do that, unless it is to acquire some similar bikekarts ? With only 24 seats for a 23m bodyshell they would just be platform eaters surely ?
When were the last diesel motorised luggage vans built or in service? They might be useful for boat trains or tourist trains in Wales if its government is serious about more sustainable travel.

najaB

Veteran Member
Why would WAG want to do that, unless it is to acquire some similar bikekarts ?
One would presume for the same reason that Transport Scotland want them: they have services that regularly struggle to carry the number of bikes or amount of luggage that they are tasked with carrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.