• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5Z16- what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entertexthere

Hi.

According to RealTimeTrains, there has been a service operated from Bradford Int. to Bradford Int. designated 5Z16. It has been cancelled 2 times already, and I plan on going out and seeing the 17:00 run. Is this a class 195 operated service? Why has it been cancelled previously?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David 90825

Hi.

According to RealTimeTrains, there has been a service operated from Bradford Int. to Bradford Int. designated 5Z16. It has been cancelled 2 times already, and I plan on going out and seeing the 17:00 run. Is this a class 195 operated service? Why has it been cancelled previously?

Thanks
It is supposed to be a class 195 driver training run. There are a number of 5ZXX in the system for today all of which, including this one, have been cancelled for unknown reasons.

Probably due to 'lack of available Drivers to train'.

They are in for the whole week, so maybe something later on this week will happen.

It is supposed to be a class 195 driver training run. There are a number of 5ZXX in the system for today all of which, including this one, have been cancelled for unknown reasons.

Thanks for the info. It appears that 5Z14 passed, so it appears that there are a few drivers to train left!
Ahhh, therein lies the issue...
The paths go in regardless if there are drivers to train or not.
The driver being trained will still have his regular driving hours to do, as per the TOC's timetable. He still has his maximum hours / rest day quota to fulfill, so it basically means if they do the driver training then they can't do the regular jobs.
Essentially the TOC has an additional diagram to fulfill with no additional drivers to count on. That's why they won't always run or be sporadic when they do.
They'll probably reach 'critical mass' of number of drivers trained on the new traction suficient to operate the planned diagrams only a few weeks prior to planned intro into service.
:)

I call it 'calculated optimism' on behalf of the operator. The paths go in, in the hope that a driver is available / volunters for the training roster, untill such a time when the operator starts dictating to drivers (if they can) who gets trained and when, by rotaing them onto the training diagram(s).
Don't foget also, it's the summer and drivers are either maxing out overtime covering for staff absence (authorised or other) or making use of thier ability to refuse / withdraw rest day working, so I would guess staff availability is at a premium.

Cheers. Do you know if the 5W03 going to be a 195 working?
I am afraid that i possess no such knowledge.
Looking at RTT, 5W03 is on the same timing load as the other STP paths, but its previous working (i believe) 5W02 1434 Huddersfield Sidings - Blackpool North is on a 14x pacer timing load. Both are in as WTT paths, so it could be a training / retention path.

I suspect that there are a number of different sets of Northern Training Paths in at the moment, like the 3Z's from Edge Hill depot / Liverpool - Preston / Lancaster / Carnforth trips.

From previous experience of this sort of thing, where multiple routes / traction is being introduced at the same time, if one of the diagrams is out and working (today, the 3Z's from Edge Hill have had a good run) then the other diagrams will not be used.

I'd need to have a dig about on here, to see if there is a thread on the Northern training / introduction plans which mention testing / driver training to be sure of anything...

Entertexthere

I am afraid that i possess no such knowledge.
Looking at RTT, 5W03 is on the same timing load as the other STP paths, but its previous working (i believe) 5W02 1434 Huddersfield Sidings - Blackpool North is on a 14x pacer timing load. Both are in as WTT paths, so it could be a training / retention path.

I suspect that there are a number of different sets of Northern Training Paths in at the moment, like the 3Z's from Edge Hill depot / Liverpool - Preston / Lancaster / Carnforth trips.

From previous experience of this sort of thing, where multiple routes / traction is being introduced at the same time, if one of the diagrams is out and working (today, the 3Z's from Edge Hill have had a good run) then the other diagrams will not be used.

I'd need to have a dig about on here, to see if there is a thread on the Northern training / introduction plans which mention testing / driver training to be sure of anything...
There is a class 195 page that covers the introduction here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...struction-introduction-updates.128808/page-97

Status
Not open for further replies.