• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

6 min connection in Hull - risky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

I am thinking of travelling up to Bridlington from Chinley next Tuesday, depending on ticket costs I may be headed up to Scarborough as well.

I'm intending to travel back (if I do this journey) on the following trains:
2128 to 2214 - Bridlington to Hull
2220 to 0004 - Hull to Sheffield
BoJ overnight, stop at my mate's flat.
Probably 0714 to 0755 back to Chinley

Has anyone used this connection before? Its the last train from Hull to Sheffield and so I cannot afford to miss it.

Ticket costs not an issue at the moment, I just want to know if its feasible, NRE shows it as valid, but I'd rather take advice from others first!

Thank you

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
The minimum connection time for Hull is 5 mins, and the above journey shows as a valid connection on National Rail.

Northern may hold the train to Sheffield or arrange onward connections, I don't know their procedures as I don't live around the area. :)

Someone such as Max, maybe be able to offer advice as he lives in Hull.

Established Member
Shouldn't be a problem with that, plus there aren't many places the services between Hull and Scarborough can be delayed at. Even if you do miss the last train Northern will have to get you back to Sheffield or Chinley (depending on what combination of tickets you have).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The last time I went Scarborough to Hull for onward travel toward Doncaster, the inward service to Scarborough was delayed and my service left 20 minutes late and didn't make up much time (fortunately my connection was timed at around 50 minutes), that was back in March, and I'm not a regular traveller for that area, but as far as actually getting round Hull station is concerned, I would say 6 minutes is more than enough.

Northern's policy for holding trains is that they will hold a connection (if required) for no more than 5 minutes, and only if it doesn't delay another train.

cuccir

Established Member
I've benefited from a connection held at Sheffield for Hull, for a delayed train coming in from the Hope Valley Line, so they do do it in that area if they can.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apologies, I only just noticed this thread. You should be fine to be honest. Hull is only a relatively small station so its possible to make tight connections. 6 minutes is a valid connection and there's a bit of slack coming from Brid too. On a Saturday this is a through train and people do go for this connection at Hull regularly from experience.

A minor warning, the 2220 is always a pacer during the week - bit of a long (and slightly chilly) drag on a 142!

34D

Established Member
You should be fine with 6 minutes any longer and you should start to worry.

This is a good Yorkshire city we're talking about. Now changing trains in Glasgow, that is the time to worry :p

Chapeltom

Established Member
Anyone idea how to make it as cheap as? I will be doing this if I can make it cheap. A Chinley to Bridlington ticket has a BoJ restriction on the outward portion.

I want to go via York on the way up on the SHF to YRK Northern service if possible (possibly go via DON and YRK) and up to Scarborough, then down the Coast on the way back. Is there anything cheaper than a £32.50 return with a 16-25 railcard?

Many thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Established Member
Have to check but I don't think there is a Day Ranger that covers all of the routes you want to take.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
EDIT: Might be worth looking to see if you can combine some tickets with the East Yorkshire Round Robin which is £14.20 with a railcard, say a Chinley - York Anytime Return at £16.85. This would cover all of day 1 then you can break your journey on the way back at Sheffield.

calc7

Established Member
Cheaper is difficult as combining shorter tickets tends to cut out circuitous circular routes.

A Chesterfield-Bridlington SVR is priced by EMT and is valid on any train after 0430. Combine that with a CLY-SHF or similar and you beat the BoJ.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would a Chinley to Nafferton Anytime Return work? Its halfway between Scarborough and Hull, for £21.25?

I would be shocked if this is valid via Scarborough!

I wondered about:

Sheffield-York Anytime Return
York-Bridlington Off-Peak Return (not sure if this is valid via Doncaster?)

On the return trip you would swap tickets at Doncaster.

Established Member
The East Yorkshire Round Rbbin would allow you to go via York and Scarborough, but probably isn't the cheapest combination.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I've searched for hours myself. I think CLY to SCA return is the best possibility, £32.50.

If I can get into Sheffield without use of the train on Tuesday morning it'll drag the fare down a lot and buy a single the next morning. Then its a case of wasting loads of time.

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
A Chesterfield-Bridlington SVR is priced by EMT and is valid on any train after 0430. Combine that with a CLY-SHF or similar and you beat the BoJ.
Chesterfield is a routeing point.
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/routeing_point_identifier.pdf page 14

Bridlington is a related station to Hull and the Scarborough Group.
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/routeing_point_identifier.pdf page 9

Fare check:
Chesterfield-Bridlington (any permitted):
SOS £42.90
SVS £27.80

Chesterfield-Scarborough:
SOS £42.90
SVS £27.80

In both cases, the fares are the same, so this would be valid via Scarborough. Therefore, you could do:
Chesterfield-Bridlington, route Hull, SVR £25.40
Excess to any permitted on outward portion (£28.45-£25.40)/2=£1.50 or £1.55, depending on how the TIS does the rounding.
plus two Chinley-Sheffield singles, the price of which will depend on the time of travel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would a Chinley to Nafferton Anytime Return work? Its halfway between Scarborough and Hull, for £21.25?
Nafferton is a related station to Hull and the Scarborough Group.
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/routeing_point_identifier.pdf page 43

Fare check:
Chinley-Nafferton:
SDS £18.35

Chinley-Scarborough:
SDS £26.40

Chinley-Seamer (the other member of the Scarborough Group)
SDS £26.40

Thus as the fare to both stations in the Scarborough Group is more expensive than to Nafferton, said ticket is not valid via Scarborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.