• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60% increase in 16-25 railcard holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

At the moment, I can't see me renewing my railcard at the end of the year. My only rail expenditure has been short journeys (e.g. a £1.30 Oyster PAYG fare). With no rovers planned this year, I don't expect to save more than the railcard cost.

I've recently moved and the train isn't practical for my regular "commute". Here are some figures I posted recently on another forum:

Train
Cranfield University - Milton Keynes Central by bus: 1 hour; £2.50 single
(Note: no bus on Sundays, except for a single shuttle paid by the university once per day, which calls at the station around 4pm)
Milton Keynes Central - London Euston by train: 40 minutes; £13 return
Euston - Waterloo by tube: 25 minutes; £1.30 single
London Waterloo - Havant: 1 hour 20 minutes; £21 return
Taxi (because it is normally around 10:30pm) to home: 20 minutes; £7 single

Total time: 3 hours and 45 minutes not including any walking, connection time or rest breaks. Easily 4.5 to 5 hours in total.
Total cost: £55.60 return (including a railcard discount)
Luggage: whatever I can carry

Driving
Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes, including a 10 minute stop at services
Cost: roughly £15 each way, so £30 total
I would have paid for the insurance anyway, so I'm not including this in the cost. In any case, this is about £1.50 per day, assuming I use the car everyday.
Luggage: whatever will fit in the car (about three times what I can carry, in terms of volume)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.