• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60006 cut up

Status
Not open for further replies.

The first of the class 60s have been cut up at toton tmd today
Rip 60006 :frown::frown::frown:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DGH 1

Thank's for the link,
I know that for the vast amount of trains, this end is inevitable but i always find it hard to watch old friends bite the dust.

Domh245

Established Member
Does anyone know when it last ran? I can see from a quick Flickr search that it'd been stored since 2009, but I couldn't be bothered to look any further back!

amwells

First one I saw I think... Great Gable... when they were being tested around West London. Age catching me up!

DGH 1

My first one I think was number 8 moel fammau on driver training, i was driving alongside the line where i live and it passed me with a rake of hea's, and i can remember looking over and thinking what the b****y hell is that, i could see straight through it's grills and it was all straight lines and angles, not easy on the eye when you're used to forties and peaks etc... it's took me all these years to warm to them.

rick pike

Cab front always reminds me of kryten out of red dwarf.
Haha.
They might be boxes on wheels but they look the business. After spending countless hours watching them working around Immingham Ive got a soft for them, feeling old now.
Good bye tug 6 see you soon as a bean can.

Spartacus

Established Member
Think it was a severe engine fault, wasn't going to work again without a new one anyway.

first one I ever saw was 60015 bow fell at Earlstown i just looked at it in awe. Always liked 60s they could virtually pull anything,wasn't it in British steel blue at some point. Goodbye 60006.

On Moderation
first one I ever saw was 60015 bow fell at Earlstown i just looked at it in awe. Always liked 60s they could virtually pull anything,wasn't it in British steel blue at some point. Goodbye 60006.
One of the first tests they ran with a 60 was with some stupid number of loaded HAA coal hoppers. The 60 ripped the coupler out - wagons not strong enough!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yes 60006 and 60033 gained British Steel blue livery in 1997, which was subsequently replaced on both locos by the Corus silver livery that both still carry to this day.

rick pike

One of the first tests they ran with a 60 was with some stupid number of loaded HAA coal hoppers. The 60 ripped the coupler out - wagons not strong enough!
There's a vid on YouTube of a HEA with its coupling and drag box pulled out. Must have been one hell of a snatch and a flaw in the welding for that amount of damage to have occurred

rebmcr

Established Member
There's a vid on YouTube of a HEA with its coupling and drag box pulled out. Must have been one hell of a snatch and a flaw in the welding for that amount of damage to have occurred

Any chance of a link? It doesn't seem easy to find.

rick pike

Any chance of a link? It doesn't seem easy to find.
Sorry don't know how to do links. Just typed in "class 60 on test" on utube and the video you want is "class 60 trials at old Dalby 1990"

Edit try this

Last edited:

Jesus that must have been one violent tug from that 60 to do that much damage. pulled it right out of the socket.

On Moderation
Jesus that must have been one violent tug from that 60 to do that much damage. pulled it right out of the socket.
Or that the coupler couldn't take of the weight of the train behind, and the power of the 60.

Milo T.K

The coupler should have been able to take the weight its normally the acceleration force that was too great to handle
Or that the coupler couldn't take of the weight of the train behind, and the power of the 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.