• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60007 power unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrobot

Hi to you all! I'm a new member and glad to be aboard .
I am a big class 60 fan but living up here in Anglesey it's tricky with family commitments to get to see any of the operational ones!
I heard a rumour that the recently released 60007 from db shenkers overhaul programme had its mirllees unit replaced with a GE unit? I'd this true and does anyone have any more information on this...?
Cheers rob

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think that'd be very interesting if it was tried, but they still have the original engine; I think the only real 'super' thing about it is that they spent a bit of money on overhauling it, which BR did regularly anyway ....

djrobot

many thanks to you both for your prompt and helpful replies;)

i did question db shenker on this subject via email and got a response saying they could not obviously reveal any information regarding exact details of the overhaul programme, but was assured the fleet (again not specific regarding whole or part fleet) remains a crucial part of their future heavy freight stratergy!
taking this at face value i am elated to know these iconic locos will continue to be seen doing what they were 'born' to do ;)

Phil6219

Kudos on getting in touch with DBS. I wish I would (but then again would say something that would ruin all prospects of a railway career - as if I haven't already ;))

Considering they say hat the Class 60 is such a crucial part of their heavy freight operations I think it is rather hypocritical that out of a fleet of 100 locos they managed to let so many of them rot that at one point they were in operation in single figures.

Granted they have started to "invest" money in refurbishing these magnificent machines but as pointed out BR spent money on them and they all had work, have DBS decided to invest because they have finally realised that the Brush Beast is far better suited to heavy workings than the 66. More to the point is this "investment" basically just a way of saying that they are returning these locomotives back to working condition after letting them stay cold and exposed to the elements for the better part of a decade?

Regardless on the answer, DBS - Thank you for keeping some 60s going :D

Phil 8-)

djrobot

hi , this is a copy of the email (i left out email of the gentleman concerened)

Date: 14 November 2011 19:19:20 GMT
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Class 60 overhaul programme

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your recent e-mail to DB Schenker which has been passed to me for reply.

You will be aware that the class 60 locomotive is an important component of our fleet for rail freight operations in the UK. We believe that it is one of the most powerful locomotives to operate in the UK and is essential for our aggregate, petroleum and metal operations.

We have recently released into operational traffic the first of our overhauled class 60s. While we are unable to outline exactly what works have been carried out on the locomotives, this investment will ensure that they remain a key part of our long term fleet strategy.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Graham

Graham Meiklejohn

Head of Communications, UK

DB Schenker

Carolina Way

Doncaster

DN4 5PN

i agree with you phil no matter whats under the hood its great to know 60's will be around for a while...and it looks like the essential equipment remains the same save for a few tweeks<D lol
i actually dont mind the sheds and class 70 , its just such a shame that with our economy so poor we cant invest in home industries and create our own new heavy freight traction...things may change somewhere down the line:roll:
rob

Status
Not open for further replies.