• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60s - Worst possible news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Last time I checked, they were down to 31. It was bad enough that 60007 in Loadhaul with sticker was binned. And Mainline stickered 60078. But worst of all, they stored BR Transrail 60032 and BR Mainline 60076. Grr! I hope that 60054 is still active in the Summer and in Petrol sector! Otherwise I'll like them about as much as 66s!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aren't I the lucky one to have seen 032 a small handful of times down South Wales then...

Oh, and it did eventually work a westbound Murco when I was on my last South Wales rover, back sometime in mid-June. Saw it on the move at Cardiff.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Where IS Theale? I have never yet figured that one out! I know there are tanks off Robeston to Westerleigh, but Theale, not sure about that one.

Feel free to show my knowledge of the Western Region up, I'll bet it's there somewhere...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
:thumbrig:

Hellfire! I wonder which route those tanks take then...

Cheers for that matey, I should have guessed it would be on a route I've already done.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
1545, hmm where was I...Oh yeah, at home organising stuff to go off this weekend with. Seen 054 behind anyway. Would love to see it depart Theale though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joe H said:
Only the crap ones and 059 left now. I saw 013 on 6E38 today, been stored. Petrol 054 now stored. Total is now 24. Have fun you 60 fans, I am no longer one.

Umm, pardon me, but what has changed you from a 60 fan to a non-60 fan? There's plenty of hellfire 60s about still. Besides, the autumn isn't far away, there will be more coming back then for releasing of 66s on sprayers! Just watch, prove me wrong! If not one single 60 comes back to release other locos to do sprayers this year, I'll buy you a Coke joea1/whatever you're called now.

I doubt I'll be parting with my £1.19...

devon_metro

Established Member
A 60 is still better than a 66, stop complaining. 60s ver rarely visit the SW, so be grateful that you still get 60s

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joe H said:
I only ever liked 60s because they carried a wide variety of interesting liveries. They still do, but all bar one are collecting dust inside depots..... I don't think the EWS livery is very attractive, and the stickered ones are getting monotonous. If I see a 60 is working in London, I'd go to see it depending on its livery - EWS, not bothered. Loadhaul, Mainline or Transrail, then I'm interested!
[EDIT]
I know it's just for the summer FGWFan/whatever you call yourself now, but in the meantime, I suspect that the Transrail pair, and the remaining Mainline/Petrol stickered examples will emerge with EWS logos.....

A different idea, liking something for the bits of vinyl or paint it carries. Still, one's man trash...

Should have seen that reply coming though: "I know it's just for the summer FGWFan/whatever you call yourself now". I believe the word for that is 'touche'.

But I disagree with the re-paint/re-vinyl thought, I reckon they'll come out the same as they are now. Why waste money on a new colour for something if it won't be out for long?

class 313

Established Member
I heard 60092 is stored now. Can be seen at temple mills. That to has a EWS sticker on the silverness or the body shell lol.

Nick

Why the hell were 60's even built in the 1990's for (what traffic?), anyway, storing them will teach them for always looking peed off :p

Andrew

They were built to start modernising the freight fleet (the newest locos back then being the 58s/56s (if we exempt the private 59s), with many Type 2s/Type 3s still in service), not for any particular traffic AFAIK - though they are obviously suited to heavy petrol/liquid/construction trainloads.

Established Member
When they come back in the autumn, they may be on different duties in the newly sectorised EWS?

Jim

Established Member
In a way, I don't care what livery they are in, it is still a 60, 1 better than a 66

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I no longer care what loco class does what. It's a loco on it, keeping railfreight going. It could be a 31 on it for all I care, so long as it keeps the freight by rail going in this country, then it's all good. 60s could be mass wiped out permanently by a new fleet of super-power, hyper-turbo-charged 66s, so long as they don't break down all of the time and do the job they're built to, then it's all good.

Granted, the sight of a 37 and a 60 still impresses me, but hey. I can't exactly recall what my point was, but going to see something JUST for the colours on it I can't see the point in. Pet locos/units/carriages (I'm sure there's some people like that with the latter), yes, but pet livery schemes, no. Or perhaps to put it in a way that only I seem to be able to do well:

*Stroking chin whilst saying the next words* Hmm, hmm, and hmm...No.

heart-of-wessex might remember that I used to do that all of the time. Making a decision to go to Chessington South last year on the way to Raynes Park coming from Shepperton way...I did make the decision and I'm glad I did!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't follow the same working either. I might go and see it several times in a week if I can, in case the locos change on it. Used to do that on a rover, go to Newport, carry on onto Cardiff on the same unit or change there, get another train past Wentloog or just wait at Newport for it. Timetable changes forbid me doing that on a rover unless I'm willing to pay a quarter of the rover's cost to buy a single in the morning to Abergavenny to make my journey legit. Sorry, no, that's taking the mick.

If 60059 has a lot of people chasing it just for the stuff on the sides of it, then I really, REALLY can't see the point! I'd get some quality shots of the sides, blow them up to a poster-size print for each one and stick them on the wall! Cheaper!

Besides, what do I know? I'm turning into a unit and steam ned...

Class_31

Still regular down the Docks branch, stopping me at the crossing on my way to work (but only if they're late).

Class_31;) Another 059 fan, gotta love that LoadHaul!!!

S Lowes

Just noted that there is another 60 still out without the EWS sticker it is 60061 with transrail branding, just saw it on the Jarrow oils

Status
Not open for further replies.